Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was tired of taking my front wheel on and off and tossing my bike in the hatch area. i decided it was time for a roof rack and thought the high roller was my best option!

installation was pretty smooth - if anyone has questions, i'll answer.

rack + 2 high rollers for $350 = amazing deal!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Very Nice! i like the black rims...love a car like this that can "do it all" act like a sports car or a daily driver, or something to carry bikes and their gear

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
billmania said:
Very Nice! i like the black rims...love a car like this that can "do it all" act like a sports car or a daily driver, or something to carry bikes and their gear
thanks! it def is the swiss army knife of hatchbacks!

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
How well does the rear spoiler clear with the rack on top. It looks like it shouldn't be a problem.

I like the direct roof mount like on your Mazda (and some Subie/Mitsu's). Makes for an easy install / removal.

Looks good,

JmZ

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Good work, my roomie has the same car. Any mods on it? He has got downpipe and intake and I am impressed, that thing moves from 40-90 and still gets great mpg (well when out of boost) we averaged 30.1 on a road trip this fall.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i had some clearance issues with the spoiler at first but was able to flip the front mount around on the high roller which moved it forward a couple inches. no issues now!

i have a few mods done to it. lowered, intake, engine torque damper, short throw, solid engine mount, and gutted cat. the two most important mods are my valentine1 and my recently purchased dunlop direzza tires. they are so sticky and fun!

the rack is really easy to take on and off. as it sits right now, i could pull the entire thing off in about 30 seconds, leaving JUST the four landing pads. to remove those is one allen bolt, so as quick as you can unscrew it. to remove just the high roller is just a couple of threaded knobs - under a minute.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the only problem i've had thus far was getting pulled over in a 65mph doing 105mph. oops.

other than that, no problems with 22k miles on the clock!

·
Titanium Club
229 Posts
darty said:
i was tired of taking my front wheel on and off and tossing my bike in the hatch area. [/IMG]
Why? That's why I bought the car, to throw my bike in the back. It keeps the car stealth, can park in the garage at work, and the bike won't get stolen.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My bike goes up top because I've always got two car seats in the back. I'd have to remove them every time I want to put the seats down to throw it in the back, which gets to be a major chore. Plus I don't need any extra dirt and mud in the car.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
at first, taking the bike in and out of the car isn't too big of a pain. i started to have front brake rubbing issues because i was removing the wheel daily.

i also went on a roadtrip with one guy, two bikes and a whole lot of gear. it was a production to load the bikes and gear into the back.

i love keeping the wheels on and just tossing the bikes up on the roof.

i sometimes travel with both my MTB and fixie. the fixie isn't QR and i didn't really want to have to wrench the wheel on and off anytime i wanted to travel with two bikes.

for me, it works, and i LOVE it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
road magnet springs. gave about a 1.1" drop for $250.

sadly i've spent more on MTB suspension than on my car.

the car rides a bit stiffer but handles on rails.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts