Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I are in the market for a new ride. We are a Subaru family and looking to get something on par with the Outback, but with better gas mileage and possibly more space. We are looking at the Mazda5. I'm looking for people's impressions/opinions of this car. Can it fit two bikes with front wheels removed standing up?

Thanks.

·
Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
747 Posts
Our experience

We picked up a 2006 with 30k miles on it a few months back to replace our aging Subie wagon. We wanted something with 3 rows of seats to accommodate our people hauling needs, but were amazed how bad the MPG numbers are on full sized minivans.

So far we've been very happy with the car. It drives great, like a car, which it is underneath the body (Mazda3). Mileage is good, usually between 28-33 MPG, and the fit and finish are pretty nice.

I bought a hitch receiver and installed it myself so we could use a Thule T2. That setup works well, but I'm not sure if bikes will fit inside. I can fit a Burley trailer and a Trail-a-bike inside with the back row of seats folded down.

We did have both front lower control arms and bushings replaced under warranty recently, but no other issues. In 2006 the warranty was 5 years and 50k, but from 07 onward they shortened it a good bit.

Overall a good car with great configurability.

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
Singletrack Pig said:
We picked up a 2006 with 30k miles on it a few months back to replace our aging Subie wagon. We wanted something with 3 rows of seats to accommodate our people hauling needs, but were amazed how bad the MPG numbers are on full sized minivans.

So far we've been very happy with the car. It drives great, like a car, which it is underneath the body (Mazda3). Mileage is good, usually between 28-33 MPG, and the fit and finish are pretty nice.

I bought a hitch receiver and installed it myself so we could use a Thule T2. That setup works well, but I'm not sure if bikes will fit inside. I can fit a Burley trailer and a Trail-a-bike inside with the back row of seats folded down.

We did have both front lower control arms and bushings replaced under warranty recently, but no other issues. In 2006 the warranty was 5 years and 50k, but from 07 onward they shortened it a good bit.

Overall a good car with great configurability.
do you think you could fit a bike in the back (remove just front wheel or leave them both on) with just folding down the 3rd row, but keeping 2nd row up?
we have car kid seats, so folding down second row is a pain, and i am looking for something that would take the bike in the back, but no SUV and the new mini vans are too big and suck gas. the 5 is hard to find used.

·
Registered
612 Posts
jh_on_the_cape said:
do you think you could fit a bike in the back (remove just front wheel or leave them both on) with just folding down the 3rd row, but keeping 2nd row up?
Not likely. I think you would have to fold at least one of the 2nd row seats. And depending on the size of your bikes, you may also have to lower the seat. I put mine in the back a few times with no problems, but it just wasn't convenient (pedals scraping the carpet, bars catching the headliner, etc). I bought a cheap hitch from Uhaul and life is much better now!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think this car is the ultimate roadtrip car and looks awesome! I have a mazda 3 which is a bit smaller than the 5 and I can fit my bike in the back with the seats down with the front wheel still on. With that in mind I'm sure you can fit two bikes in the back of a 5. I've had nothing but good things to say about my 06 mazda so hopefully that will give you some comfort towards the fit/finish of the company.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I rented a 5 for a trip to Tahoe, about 1000 miles there and back. I was very impressed, if i was looking for mini-van-ish car it would top the list. Drives and handles nice, like a car rather than a van. Decent power for a 4 banger, and we got 35 mpg on our trip.

We ended up buying an Element, hard to beat for hauling bikes. Wish it got 35 mpg though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.