Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't raced yet, less done a 12 or 24. I think that I'm not ready yet for this kind of racing. I just wanted to know what a 12 or 24 hour races are. Is it that you're constantly riding for 24 hours / no rest, or that you have 24 hours to get as much mileage as possible, and the individual/team with the most mileage wins?

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Relay races

Basically, 12/24 hour races are relay races when you're on a team of any size. Teams have 1 racer a time on the course. If you're racing in the solo class, then you're all by yourself. The course is generally a lap, and the team (or solo individual) with the most laps in at the end of the 12 or 24 hour period wins the race. You're free to sleep as much as you want but it's not the best strategy to win the race. That said, I've been doing a few 12 and one 24 hour race a year and they are my favorite kind of racing. Give it a try!

·
XCdude
1,323 Posts
They are festival a get together more than a race

rzozaya1969 said:
I haven't raced yet, less done a 12 or 24. I think that I'm not ready yet for this kind of racing. I just wanted to know what a 12 or 24 hour races are. Is it that you're constantly riding for 24 hours / no rest, or that you have 24 hours to get as much mileage as possible, and the individual/team with the most mileage wins?
Is a good way to introduce a new person to racing, is low key and more fun than a regular xc race. I raced a few and promoted one and is fun give it a go with a beginner team.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you ride as a solo, then yes, it's you riding the whole time. Those of us who participate solo and aren't elite athletes take breaks to eat, change clothes, and rest. Breaks range from quick 5 minute pit stops to longer real feed and relax times of longer duration.

But the other posters nailed it on the head...the atmosphere is a blast and folks have a much more friendly attitude and it's more about encouraging other riders than it is about XC politics.

·
Beer
124 Posts
My First endurance race

Nater said:
Basically, 12/24 hour races are relay races when you're on a team of any size. Teams have 1 racer a time on the course. If you're racing in the solo class, then you're all by yourself. The course is generally a lap, and the team (or solo individual) with the most laps in at the end of the 12 or 24 hour period wins the race. You're free to sleep as much as you want but it's not the best strategy to win the race. That said, I've been doing a few 12 and one 24 hour race a year and they are my favorite kind of racing. Give it a try!
I just competed in an 18hr race (4 man team). I have to say it was the BEST. I have done alot of regular XC rces before, but this was a class all its own. Your tired from lack of sleep and riding all night but you justtest your limits. You can ride as little or as much as you want, but to truly compete, you have to ride as much as possible. I think I am hooked now!! I am looking for more endurance races to do.

GOT THE BUG!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
toddcarpenter said:
Yeah, you try to get in as many laps as possible, and rest whenever you want. Though to be competitive you usually don't take any breaks.
I just checked the race results. Congrats Todd I cant believe you won the 24hour race this past weekend!!! Great Job on the Win!!!

I looked for your campsite but could not find it.
I should have just checked the #1 spot on the podium.

·
Registered
105 Posts
neuregel said:
I just checked the race results. Congrats Todd I cant believe you won the 24hour race this past weekend!!! Great Job on the Win!!!

I looked for your campsite but could not find it.
I should have just checked the #1 spot on the podium.
Hey thanks, too bad we didn't hook up on the trail, I would have liked to meet you. We had a mix up with our camp site so we were actually camped out with the teams. Are you ready to do it again in the Spring?

·
Registered
61 Posts
toddcarpenter said:
Hey thanks, too bad we didn't hook up on the trail, I would have liked to meet you. We had a mix up with our camp site so we were actually camped out with the teams. Are you ready to do it again in the Spring?
Sorry we didnt hook up I was looking forward to meeting you. Our team did not stick around for the closing cermonies, we finished last. We had a sub 50 min lap person and a 4th place solo finisher in BC last month. We stopped riding late at night and picked up again around 8am. We spent most of the time goofing off. I am looking to do my first solo in the spring. My goal is 12-14 laps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.