Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
That's one lucky dude. I bet most people if they ride with a knife carry it in their hydration pack then you're like the old Batman TV show "If .. I could only reach my utility belt."

·
Registered
144 Posts
The two guys who got attacked in WA last year, one surviving makes me think it would be useful. Rather than a quick pounce and kill, the lion came back and attacked them a second time.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
People have fought off mountain lions with Swiss Army knives. The guy in the OP was attacked by a grizzly bear. Never heard of anyone fighting off one of those with a knife before.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
That guy was one lucky man. That knife is about the equivalent of one grizzly claw.
My "mt. lion knife is a fixed blade that draws very fast. But a grizzly has a big-ass neck. I bet there's lots of spots where a Griz wouldn't even feel that knife!

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
I have a smallish fixed blade that I had been carrying but switched to a pocket clip EDC. The value is mainly psychological. If I'm riding at dusk with NOTHING I spend too much time berating myself and hearing noises. Having something rather than nothing may not give me any more chance of survival but I just can't leave myself out there with no chance. I don't even really like being out at dusk alone in a crepuscular feline's dining room even if I'm strapped to the gills.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
You're more likely to get hit by a car on the way to trailhead. Nothing wrong with having a knife however, if only to spread peanut butter. I know folks in other states that take another more useful tool along.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
I ride alone most of the time and I ride at night frequently. I was a hunter for a good part of my life, being in the woods at night is the best. I carry an ESEE Izula neck knife. Can be drawn in about a second.

I do think that bear probably just lost interest. If it was seriously wounded, it would have mauled him.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
I reckon most people underestimate how powerful wild animals are. The link isn't working for me, so I can't read the story. I just wanted to try and say something that sounded clever.

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
I reckon most people underestimate how powerful wild animals are. The link isn't working for me, so I can't read the story. I just wanted to try and say something that sounded clever.
I didn't read this story either. I assumed it same story I saw on Pinkbike last week that was was about a poor Grizzly bear that chewed on a rider who fought it off in heroic fashion with a folding knife in AK and was hunted down and killed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.