Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Referring to this info: Marzocchi 888 38mm 2008 Cartridge Kit

From what I understand this is a closed cartridge, thus sealed off and the oil in the leg of the compression side of the fork is just for lubrication.

What I am concerned about is high speed compression adjustment, since the knob only controls low speed compression. Generally I like my HSC low and supple. Apparently the compression knob does a good job increasing LSC so I was previously thinking that I could just use lighter weight oil to decrease high speed compression and just crank the LSC knob more than before.

However it occured to me that this is closed cartridge fork, so the oil for dampening (pushed through) is sealed off inside the cartridge?

How come in the Avalanch link there are shims that look like they will sit in the lubircation oil? Also they call it an Open/Closed bath system, which throws me off.

Lastly, I have the oppurtunity to buy new at $575, would you recommend? I just bought a new bike with an 888 rv so I would be selling that too, only paying the difference out of pocket.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Referring to this info: Marzocchi 888 38mm 2008 Cartridge Kit

From what I understand this is a closed cartridge, thus sealed off and the oil in the leg of the compression side of the fork is just for lubrication.

What I am concerned about is high speed compression adjustment, since the knob only controls low speed compression. Generally I like my HSC low and supple. Apparently the compression knob does a good job increasing LSC so I was previously thinking that I could just use lighter weight oil to decrease high speed compression and just crank the LSC knob more than before.

However it occured to me that this is closed cartridge fork, so the oil for dampening (pushed through) is sealed off inside the cartridge?

How come in the Avalanch link there are shims that look like they will sit in the lubircation oil? Also they call it an Open/Closed bath system, which throws me off.

Lastly, I have the oppurtunity to buy new at $575, would you recommend? I just bought a new bike with an 888 rv so I would be selling that too, only paying the difference out of pocket.
Sorry for the confusion, lets just call it a semi-sealed design, internal oil volume is self adjusting as it moves between the pressure spring chamber and damper tube via a bleed hole.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the 80 milliliters on the damper side is all the oil that goes into and out of the cartridge? And changing that oil to something lighter can help me adjust my compression and meet my goal of low HSC and variable LSC?

...that is if I buy it and find HSC too high, all speculation still debating whether it's worth upgrading

·
Registered
165 Posts
So the 80 milliliters on the damper side is all the oil that goes into and out of the cartridge? And changing that oil to something lighter can help me adjust my compression and meet my goal of low HSC and variable LSC?

...that is if I buy it and find HSC too high, all speculation still debating whether it's worth upgrading
No, its just there to keep the damper free of air bubbles, sort of self bleeding for maintenance reasons. Sorry we do not really work on the stock dampers, we are just displaying the internal workings of the damper to help point out the differences with our cartridge system design.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.