Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, like I mentioned in an earlier post, I've just recently gotten back into mountain biking and I love it this time around. Since my start, I've started noticing how my bike handles certain rides and reacts to changes I make to it, so I'm starting to feel comfortable about the bike. When I get my bike serviced at the LBS I picked it up at, I can tell the difference on the first ride out, mainly the gear changing being a lot smoother and the ride more firm. Well, on my last service from the shop, I just assumed the norm and paid and went on my way. On the way home, I stopped to get some gas and was looking at my bike and noticed that the skewers were not changed and the dirt that was on them was not disturbed at all, which would have been if someone had removed the wheels. I had asked the shop to check my brake pads on my disc brakes for replacement because they were squeaking real bad now. After looking over the bike some more, I notice the chain, crank, cassette and derailuers were all in the same dirty condition I had them before taking them in, with no signs of touch. At this point, I'm kind of worried. So, yesterday I hit a trail near the house and sure enough, same ride as it was before the bike went in. Squealing brakes, rough gear changes and the ride was bouncy because the rear suspension had not been aired up again. I feel that I was duped on this one but I don't know what to do really. I bought two bikes at one time from this place and have had them do the maintenance on them from day one. I've never had this problem before and I don't want to come off as a prick but I don't think I got what I paid for this time. I've noticed a lot of young guys working in the shop lately, and I wonder if someone let one of them practice on my ride. What should I do??

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
You can check the amount of pad left without removing the pads from the calipers. You just need a flashlight and you look in through the top of the caliper.

If all you asked them to do was check pad wear, that's probably all they did - adjusting the shfiting, adjusting your shock, cleaning the bike and lubing it up are likely services they charge for (I know my LBS generally does - all that stuff is covered in their tune up, which is $50 or so).

So, I guess the question is - what service did you pay for, and what did the service order actually say?

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you paid for a tune up where brakes, shifters, chain cleaining and lubing, derailer clean and lubed and things of that nature then it's YOUR right to say something to them and make them explain themselves and do it. Like nachome said look at your repair order. If it doesn't say anything about that stuff being done then there was obviously a miscommunication in what you wanted done and an honest mistake.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I agree with Steve - start learning how to do the basic stuff yourself. It'll save you time & hassle in the long run, and it's a great way to get to know your bike better. With all the fantastic (& free!) resources out there, all you need to invest in is time to do it and some very basic tools/supplies.

However, until you are comfortable doing that, I'd offer this: Go back to the LBS and play it cool - "Hey, I noticed (all the stuff you mentioned) after I picked the bike up, and I guess I expected (whatever) service, and I'm not sure exactly what was done. Can you explain to me what you actually did here, and perhaps together we can identify where the miscommunication may have occured?" That way, you don't step on any toes, and the you have a non-confrontational approach - I think this will get you the best results.

Also, ask your LBS(s) if they offer beginner wrenching classes - many do. You may have to wait for the off-season, but it's a great starting point too.

Cheers, Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.