Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a line of credit at Home Depot-no one else will even think of giving me credit. For some reason I did a search for mountain bikes, to my surprise, they have them. Fortunately, when I found one that I thought I liked(had to be better than a 24" Pacific Wanderer right?)I did a seach for reviews. I thought you might find this humorous.:)

do not purchase this bike

"This bike was a good price and on sale and had good reviews so i thought i would buy it. In the words of my brother the worst purchase i ever made. The bike came very poorly put together. The back tire came so crooked that a professional bike shop couldn't even fix it. because of that it occilates so bad that the brakes are almost useless because if i tighten them it rubs and makes it impossible to ride if i don't then they are to lose to stop the bike in a hurry. Which is fine for just riding around town but almost killed myself when mountain biking. The crank shaft fell off while i was mountain biking half way through so i had to push it the 3 miles back to the car and it was only my 3rd use 1st time using the bike in the mountains. Also the bike is very heavy which is the least of all the problems."

Do not buy if you care for your life.

"I wish I could have given this bike 5 negative stars. The second day that I bought this bike, there was a weird creaking noise. It took me 3 days to figure out it was coming from the rear suspension. I greased, cleaned , did everything I could but the creaking wouldn't go away. I took it to the local bike repair shop and he said this was because of the cheap components. There was nothing anyone can do. So I continued using the bike even though the creaking sound was embarrassing me on the trail. Imagine everyone on the trail looking at you while you are biking.

After 2 months, yesterday, the front brakes came off. The 'U' shaped thing on the brakes just broke into half and fell off on the street (along with the brake cables) while I was on the bike. And this morning, while I was on my way to work, the left pedal, along with the pedal rod and the shank came off and I injured my leg (I leg scraped against the concrete trail ground). There were people on the trail telling me how lucky I was not to have fallen off while cycling as the injuries would have been much more serious.

I bought this bike specifically from Dick's because I wanted to avoid the cheap stuff that other giant superstores sell. I trusted Dick's not to carry any cheap quality sporting goods but obviously, I was wrong.

So, here is the bottom line: DO NOT BUY this bike unless you want to get seriously injured. It is just not worth it. I spent a LOT of money for this bike and I need to ask either Dick's of Polaris for a refund. If you like cycling so much, spend another couple of hundred bucks or so and go for a bike from the local store where you almost always find great service and a good value for the money."

718ff767-5e7d-4cad-83f4-e4cc997b7c8e_400.jpg

·
live long and huck
5,568 Posts
If cash is the issue, here's what you do.

Buy the bike at Home Depot. Get hurt riding it. Sue Home Depot. Who needs a bike when you now have a Ferrari. And chicks.

·
I didn't do it
9,465 Posts
So, Bill, did you bring home a new bike with your Home Depot credit today?

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
Buy some things on clearance from Home Depot, then re-sell them on ebay. Take the cash and buy a real bike ;~)

·
Reluctant Tree Hugger
570 Posts
Well, you could use that line of credit for the things to build a decent trail. Then start a collection jar for the people who ride it to chip in to buy you a decent bike.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, Bill, did you bring home a new bike with your Home Depot credit today?
Good thing I got warranty (steve)

"It was okay at first, got it with a bent disk brake and the gears were terrible. Thought id get used to it but after less than 2that weeks, I took a trail in Belmont and the the whole gear system got thrashed wayyy to easily. I had to shorten the chain, and keep pumping on only one gear."
Pros:
· Smooth ride,
· Versatile
Cons:
· Cheap parts,
· Disk breaks already bent,
· Flimsy,
· Gears breaking,
· Hard to configure,
· Heavy / bulky

Meijer you should think carefully (review by concerned mom)

"I've been looking at bikes to buy my child (the girls version) who is at school about 2 miles from campus. It is inexpensive...no it's cheap. Meijer you are a reputable store. You should know better than to sell c*&^. For the price, this bike is no comparison to the Huffy. I think this bike is dangerous in that if my child is stranded 2 miles from home in the dark, what will she do? If you are looking to buy something for your child to ride around the block....maybe, but even then Huffy is a better buy."
Pros:
· Cheap
Cons:
· Flimsy,
· Handles poorly

Don't buy this product. (review by comp rider)

"I would not recommend this to anyone, it is literally falling apart after just 1 week of use. Bad welding job barely holds the frame together, the front tire popped after 5 days, this bike has left me stranded 2 miles from my home on at least 3 occasions, and this is just within 1 week, maybe a half hour ride a day. Do NOT buy this, you will regret it. Not only that, but if you like pushing a bike instead of riding one, I guess this is for you. Am returning it to use the money I wasted on it towards a real bike. If something seems too good to be true, it is. You don't get what you pay for with this product. I am not one to vent about something, but this needs to be clear. Meijer should not sell this product. I would not accept this if someone PAID ME to take it. Now I have to find a box big enough to ship this back. It have me a week of getting stranded and cost me over $100 and an additional $15 to fix the derailleur. Again, DO NOT BUY THIS, steer clear, find a real bike with a reputable name in bikes, not snowmobiles (I've only come across polaris snowmobiles and jet-skis)."
Pros:
· Nothing literally
Cons:
· Brakes not set right,
· Everything,
· Flimsy,
· Front derailleur broken,
· Handles poorly,
· Hard to configure,
· Rough ride,
· Shoddy welding,
· Tire popped after 1 week

NOT A BIKE (Jim)

"This is not a bike. It is a five hundred pound piece of junk that barely rolls. It is litterally a bad welding job and two tires stuck together like magic. Bad parts. I didn't even know polaris made bikes. Stick to snow boots and snowmobiles polaris. Buy a Specialized bike."
Cons:
· Flimsy,
· Handles poorly,
· Hard to configure,
· Heavy / bulky,
· Rough ride,
· Scrap metal

·
live long and huck
5,568 Posts
Looks like all of the issues are occurring approximately 2 miles from home. Perhaps ride out to 1.9, walk the bike to 2.1, then hop back on. You should be cross training anyway for maximum health effect.

·
GONE
25,446 Posts
Looks like all of the issues are occurring approximately 2 miles from home. Perhaps ride out to 1.9, walk the bike to 2.1, then hop back on. You should be cross training anyway for maximum health effect.
Way to make the most out of a sichiashun!

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
37,675 Posts
Hold on for a minute.
- +=
Carry the one .....I think that may work. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Walmart has a 'mountain' bike for $85. There are actually some very good reviews on this website. This is from Converting a Walmart bike on the single speed forum. The posts are a little old but I think that they are still pertinent.

You came to the right place.

Buying a Granite Peak will be the best decision you ever made. I converted one for my singletrack slayer and I've never looked back. Roadmaster overbuilt this one- I don't think the parts will ever wear out, and it is still as light as Sizzler's mom after one of her meth binges.

I ride some really tech stuff and hit some pretty big drops on the Granite Peak, so it will be the bomb in the urban landscape- gap some stairs and enjoy the buttery landing the fork and the folding rear wheel give you.

The headset is a little notchy, but in tech sections I've found that to be an advantage, as each "notch" moves the wheel 2 degrees, so I know where the wheel is going all the time.

Originally I could backpedal like a bmx bike. At some point the hub made some weird noises and now it works just like a fixed gear, only it takes a lot of effort to get up to speed. Will say it is really improving my fitness and I still blow by slack-jawed and spandex clad weekend warriors on the baby heads.

But enough about the strengths of the bike- there is one weakness, and you can treat it early. Since the frame is steel (more like a steal!) I framesaved it so it wouldn't rust on me. If you do this, hi-ten can last for centuries.

Enjoy your new asssled!

don't let them bother you OP.... i rode this exact same bike converted to a "fixie" *(where you peddle backwards and the bike goes backwards) in 2007 when i won the clydesdale weight division of the sea otter classic..... it was a spectacular bike.... the forks had just enough travel to keep me from bottoming on the dropoffs and the flexible chain stays moved just enough so that when i stopped peddling to brake *(don't run brakes on the fixies you know) it would skip a couple of teeth on the sprockets to help me get my feet in a better peddling position *(kinda like a freewheel)..... you can now see this bike in the bicycling hall of fame located 34.4 miles south of orlando florida behind a trailer house on a lovely orange plantation.... i occasionally drive north from miami where i now live just so i can look at this bike with lust in my eyes and remember the cheers of the crowds as i flew past them on my way to glory....... thank you for helping me with this sweet sweet walk down memory lane.......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sort of confused. did the reviewer buy the bike at Home Depot or at Dick's. Your post makes it sound as if HD is the culprit. Use your credit to buy some lumber or a washer or something.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sort of confused. did the reviewer buy the bike at Home Depot or at Dick's. Your post makes it sound as if HD is the culprit. Use your credit to buy some lumber or a washer or something.
Home Depot has 6 pages of bikes available at their website. If the bikes are anything similar to the product my company sells on HD's website, they'll be drop shipped directly from a 3rd party and not from HD. When you buy my company's product, we ship it directly from our warehouse. We do it strictly to help build a case to get HD to stock our stuff in their stores, but that hasn't happened yet :(

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are correct. I leave out valuable pieces of information when I communicate. The model of bike is a Polaris RMK Mens 26" mens full suspension bike. This bike is available under bikes on home depots website. I did a search(Polaris RMK full suspension) and all of these review came up in the seach. Some people bought them from D's sporting goods and some from a store called Meijer, which I have never heard of.

Actually-I did say that.

I have a line of credit at Home Depot-no one else will even think of giving me credit. For some reason I did a search for mountain bikes, to my surprise, they have them. Fortunately, when I found one that I thought I liked(had to be better than a 24" Pacific Wanderer right?)I did a seach for reviews. I thought you might find this humorous.:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
some from a store called Meijer, which I have never heard of.
Guess they haven't made it to CT yet, but Meijer is a big chain that competes with Wal-Mart. They're based out of Michigan. They started showing up in Ohio about 15-20 years ago. I prefer them to Wal-Mart (especially on the grocery side), but neither are stores I shop in regularly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts