Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
1st time to Santa Cruz. Buzzards Lagoon, Ridge, Flow, Tractor, Braille, then out. All smiles! Flow was freakin amazing! Absolutely loved Braille as well though it seemed to only be soupy leading into the corners and drops aka all the wrong places.

My buddy and I sat catching our breaths after climbing up Tractor at the entrance to Braille. All the pretty people seemed intent on joining the ever growing conga line on Flow (so glad we hit it early!). We had the goods all to ourselves! Braille was absolutely spectacular and the sloppiness of it added to the fun factor. I took a few of the alternative lines and ended up doing some of the biggest drops I've ever done. It was glorious!

Natural environment Downhill mountain biking Mountain bike Mountain biking Helmet

Time for beer and a movie!

Finger Glass Toe Drink Barware

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Probably was a bit before 11AM, maybe 10AMish when we were sitting on top of Braille, but I didn’t check time. Given conditions today though, I would guess there wasn’t too much shenanigans as it was running so well. My friend told me not to think that today was normal. He said it was the best he’s ever seen it and he has rode it quite a bit. Was glad I could see it in prime conditions!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Flow was better on Saturday, before this rain. It's starting to develop braking bumps and it was a little looser.

But really, I can't complain. Still WAY better than last fall. It'll be true hero dirt again this week.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
1st time to Santa Cruz. Buzzards Lagoon, Ridge, Flow, Tractor, Braille, then out. All smiles! Flow was freakin amazing! Absolutely loved Braille as well though it seemed to only be soupy leading into the corners and drops aka all the wrong places.

My buddy and I sat catching our breaths after climbing up Tractor at the entrance to Braille. All the pretty people seemed intent on joining the ever growing conga line on Flow (so glad we hit it early!). We had the goods all to ourselves! Braille was absolutely spectacular and the sloppiness of it added to the fun factor. I took a few of the alternative lines and ended up doing some of the biggest drops I've ever done. It was glorious!
Good you finally went to Demo.

You were probably in the conga queue on Flow too, unless you rode it before 9am. The thing is you were going the same direction and pace as dozens and dozens of folks so you never see them.

It's mostly when you stop or go the opposite direction that you get a clear view of how many folks there are. That's the beauty of one directional trails.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Good you finally went to Demo.

You were probably in the conga queue on Flow too, unless you rode it before 9am. The thing is you were going the same direction and pace as dozens and dozens of folks so you never see them.

It's mostly when you stop or go the opposite direction that you get a clear view of how many folks there are. That's the beauty of one directional trails.
That's a good point. We did hit it earlyish, probably a little after 9AM when we started down, but I bet "the flow" to Flow had already begun by then. We actually chatted a bit about how small of a footprint Demo actually has but even so you don't see other people very much due to the the trees and trail design. Didn't think that the one way also really helps as well. That trail would have a queue anywhere in the world it was built so certainly not knocking on it in any capacity!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
All - just a reminder to be kind to all trail users including other riders. Yesterday was very busy at EMT and Pogonip. Took a once in a blue moon date ride with my wife. She's a competent beginner - but likes to take her time and needs to "feel safe". Railing corners, charging lines, not slowing or yielding to uphill traffic, and passing without prior warning on obviously 2-way trafficked singletrack is not considerate. Unfortunately, all of the above happened numerous times yesterday.

It's going to be many blue moons before she's going want to come out riding again.

·
orthonormal
5,261 Posts
I was attacked by vegetation twice yesterday. First, I snagged my handlebar on a manzanita, sending me OTB. I straightened my bars and saddle, checked out my slightly bruised elbow, and had a good ride until a big oak branch lowered itself just as I was ducking under it. I've ridden under this branch a hundred times and this is the second time I've smacked my head into it. It's not a technical spot in any way, other than needing to duck under the branch. Another couple of lessons in paying attention, even on the easy rides.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was attacked by vegetation twice yesterday. First, I snagged my handlebar on a manzanita, sending me OTB. I straightened my bars and saddle, checked out my slightly bruised elbow, and had a good ride until a big oak branch lowered itself just as I was ducking under it. I've ridden under this branch a hundred times and this is the second time I've smacked my head into it. It's not a technical spot in any way, other than needing to duck under the branch. Another couple of lessons in paying attention, even on the easy rides.
I have hit so much thistle this year, I look like a pin cushion. I have a piece in the pinky finger of my glove that I can't seem to find. Ever so often it lights my finger up.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
I'm riding everyday now. e-bike if I don't have time, Pivot Switchblade otherwise. My hearing is coming back.

My kid Miggy is home now and healing. Face is good with 3 plates and 15 screws. Eyesight is slowly coming back. Mental/emotional is tough so it is up and down. His high school friends are here at the house when they can.

He's on the trainer now every day for about 30 minutes. His college team made it to the NCAA D3 baseball championships, their best in 15 years. So he IS going to Iowa tomorrow to partake. No playing but gets to experience it.

Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Comfort Bicycle tire Room

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.