Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's have another Henry Coe ride and party afterward before it gets too hot there.

Saturday May 15 9:30am at Hunting Hollow Parking lot on Gilroy Hot Springs Road ($6 parking fee).

A ride with me starts at 9:30am: up Lyman Wilson, right on Bowl Trail to Wilson Camp, left on Steer Ridge, down Wilson Peak, left on Grizzly Gulch, up Dexter, left on Wasno Road, down Kelly Lake, (stop for lunch), left on Coit, Kelly Cabin Canyon, right on Cross Canyon, left on Willow Ridge Road, down George Milias trail, right on Cross Canyon, Coit Spring, (bail-out option: down Grapevine) up Cattle Duster, Domino Pond, Rock Tower, Elderberry, down Jackson, Anza, back via Coit Road and Gilroy Hot Springs Road.

B ride: Dan and/or Charlie? Dan's route.

C ride: Start with B group: Coit Road, Anza, Jackson, Elderberry, Wasno, Kelly Lake, Kelly Cabin Canyon,left on Cross-Canyon, split off from B group to take Coit Spring, Grapevine (optional Anza), back to Coit Road.

D ride: Hunting Hollow road out and back: 3 miles flat fire road with multiple creek crossings and an abundance of wild flowers.

It would be nice if the A,B and C rides all meet for lunch at Kelly Lake around noon.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
But isn't there a CCCX race you'll be missing that day...?
JL de Jong said:
B ride: Dan and/or Charlie? Maybe: up Lyman Wilson, down Serpentine, Grizzly Gulch, up Dexter, down Kelly Lake, Kelly Cabin Canyon, CrossCanyon, Coit Spring, Grapevine, Anza, Coit Road and Gilroy Hot Springs Road,
I'm game. I'll think up a good route that does not involve going up Lyman Wilson ;)
I'll probably stick with the regular:
Anza>Jackson>Elderberry>Wasno>Kelly Lake>Kelly Cabin>Cross Canyon>Coit>Domino>Cattle Duster>Grapevine>Anza with an optional bonus of Spike>Timm at the end.

Maybe this can be part of MBTB as well. Fast Eddy?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dan: The CCCX race is on Sunday, but I'm skipping that race. I'll stick to the SB series instead this year: May 8 in Santa Teresa and May 22 in Fort Ord.

Your route is fine. Climbing Lyman Wilson is really not that bad, except for one or two steep sections, but Anza/Jackson has those as well.

Here's the link to the Henry Coe Fall Circus last year: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=6194037

·
Slowest Rider
5,235 Posts
I may help, but more on a D ride at my pace. I need to check with my schedule(r) too.

Not sure on a route either, especially until I see the other routes. I like to find ways to intersect if possible. Then it's not just separate rides on the same day, and we can give cross support if needed.

At the Fall Circus, C/D ride chose a less steep climb up Coit Rd. which I like, but there was muntiny as some broke off to do their own singletrack ride up Jackson instead. Maybe we should just accept it. My first thoughts, maybe up Jackson / Eldeberry, then down Domino / Cattle Duster / Grapevine with Anza as a bonus?

But then, I found some C/D riders are not happy on the technical on Grapevine. Maybe after Domino/Cattle Duster I can have those riders take the Spring(?) trail over to Coit and down instead of Grapevine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
darn, I can't make it that Sat, any other weekends before or after? I really want to join. How long do you think these rides will take?

·
NedwannaB
12,771 Posts
This sounds good

JL de Jong said:
Let's have another Henry Coe ride and party afterward before it gets too hot there.

Saturday May 15 at Hunting Hollow Parking lot on Gilroy Hot Springs Road ($6 parking fee).

A ride with me starts at 9:30am: up Lyman Wilson, down Serpentine, Grizzly Gulch, up Dexter, down Kelly Lake, Kelly Cabin Canyon, CrossCanyon, Coit Spring, up Cattle Duster, Elderberry, down Jackson, Anza, optional Gullen and Grizzly Gulch, back via Coit Road and Gilroy Hot Springs Road.

B ride: Dan and/or Charlie? Maybe: up Lyman Wilson, down Serpentine, Grizzly Gulch, up Dexter, down Kelly Lake, Kelly Cabin Canyon, CrossCanyon, Coit Spring, Grapevine, Anza, Coit Road and Gilroy Hot Springs Road?

C ride: Mike? Larry? Maybe a Lyman Wilson, Grizzly Gulch loop?
I'll check in with some other north-northbay riders to see if they are interested. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aznxtacy said:
darn, I can't make it that Sat, any other weekends before or after? I really want to join. How long do you think these rides will take?
All my other Saturdays are booked already with races, but I'm sure you can find some people to ride with you some other day.

These rides are probably 4 to 5 hours of riding time with an hour or two of regrouping, eating lunch and enjoying the scenery. We try to be back by 4pm to have a fun pot-luck bbq together. Shiloh's garbanzo bean brownies are to die for..... although some may prefer Jeff's bacon explosion, which can be a real killer as well.

·
My spoon is too big!
881 Posts
Too far away to be sure, but I'm tentatively in for the B ride. Hooray for Spring!!

·
Life is strange
1,991 Posts
I may or may not be in for the BEEEE ride.

Work might interfere.

But if I'm not working, I'm reasonably sure that my jeep will make the drive out there with out exploding.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rho said:
But if I'm not working, I'm reasonably sure that my jeep will make the drive out there with out exploding.
T.J. You're welcome to drive to my house and we carpool from there in a more reliable vehicle. Hope you can join us.

·
Life is strange
1,991 Posts
JL de Jong said:
T.J. You're welcome to drive to my house and we carpool from there in a more reliable vehicle. Hope you can join us.

I'll keep that in mind, I have a big pile of parts waiting to go into the thing in the next few weeks.
But its a jeep.

So we'll see!

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
dan51 said:
But isn't there a CCCX race you'll be missing that day...?

I'm game. I'll think up a good route that does not involve going up Lyman Wilson ;)
I'll probably stick with the regular:
Anza>Jackson>Elderberry>Wasno>Kelly Lake>Kelly Cabin>Cross Canyon>Coit>Domino>Cattle Duster>Grapevine>Anza with an optional bonus of Spike>Timm at the end.

Maybe this can be part of MBTB as well. Fast Eddy?
Spike/Timm....Plus Timm double diamond. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 149 Posts