Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Maxxis-Rocky Mountain UCI MTB Trade Team

5K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  The_Scarabial 
#1 ·
#8 ·
So, will they do a new carbon vertex monocoque mold for Kabush ? Clearly, the stock large won't be big enough (he'd need to run a 650mm+ post). Will the stock 20" Team Element fit or will that have to be custom as well ?

#11 · (Edited)
I always thought Geoff was something like 6'-4"+, but maybe his competitors are just shorter than I thought, he's usually a head taller than the other guys on the podium.

I imagine the carbon Vertex will be a magnitude less noodly than a titanium hardtail with long tubes like he's been riding.

What does the XL Vertex Team frame weigh in at?

#13 · (Edited)
That's pretty classy looking riding kit. The black, orange and white colour scheme would work nicely on a carbon frame.

With any luck Marie will hold onto that UCI Leader's jersey for 2009. With both her and Geoff wearing the red/white Canadian National Champion colours, their jerseys will be different anyway.

Attachments

#14 ·
I tested the 2009 Vertex Team back in June of 08 and rode it tones both XC and all mountain stuff on the North shore. I'm 6'1 and was on the 19' or Large size. I did require a 400mm post but the cockpit was fantastic. From my ride report to Rocky, my thoughts and concerns were taken and alterations where made to the final product so I guess the "Tested in Canada" still stands.

Attachments

#16 ·
That's a good looking bike, much nicer than some of his old Litespeeds which looked like gates. He did have a super hot Ti cross bike at nationals last year, I wonder if the Rocky sponsorship covers cross as well? I wonder if he'll ride an Element as well, he is known as a FS racer? Maybe he's figured out why the Euro guys almost only ride HT only?

It must be nice having the power to have a 32 as your small ring! I'm sub 140 at my peak and struggle up some hills with my 29 front 32 rear Rocky.

#18 ·
That 2x9 XTR setup seems to work just fine for Mr. Kabush...

Fontana US Pro XC Tour #1: Kabush wins

Pro Men

1 Geoff Kabush (Can) Team Maxxis-Rocky Mountain 1:50:36
2 Max Plaxton (Can) Shoair/Specialized at 0:43
3 Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski (USA) Subaru-Gary Fisher 1:37
4 Sam Schultz (USA) Subaru-Gary Fisher 1:39
5 Adam Craig (USA) Giant MTB Team 2:14
6 Sid Taberlay (Aus) Shoair/Specialized 3:57
7 Derek Zandstra (Can) 3 Rox Racing 4:40
8 Seamus McGrath (Can) Jamis Factory 5:19
9 Jeremiah Bishop (USA) Monvie Cannondale 5:33
10 Todd Wells (USA) Specialized 5:35
11 Troy Wells (USA) Team Cliff Bar 6:54
12 Andy Schultz (USA) Kenda/Tomac/Hayes 6:55
13 Carl Decker (USA) Giant Mtb Team 8:12
14 Kris Sneddon (Can) Kona 9:00
15 Adam Morka (Can) Trek Store Racing Team 9:00
16 Barry Wicks (USA) Kona 9:16
17 Travis Livermon (USA) Champion System/Cannondale 10:00
18 Manuel Prado (USA) Shoair/Specialized 10:24
19 Stefan Widmer (Can) Rocky Mountain/Different Bike 10:42
20 Tad Elliott (USA) U23 National 11:17

#22 · (Edited)
I always thought Geoff was crazy tall because he always towers over the other guys on the podium, but he's only 6'-3" (190cm), so he fits on the XL RSL. Here's a photo from Madrid. The seatpost actually isn't extended that far, so he likely has a long torso.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

The Large RSL frame fits me well at 6'-1" (185cm) and there's about 125mm of the 400mm seatpost still inside the frame.

I'm guessing that the shot of Kabush's bike from the Rocky website with the seatpost up very high was taken after Peter, the team manager was test riding it, he's about 6'-5" (195cm) tall.

#24 ·
In the full size pic in MBA that does look like tape on the seatpost to mark the height.

The XL RSL has a 490mm seat tube, so you'd sure need to find a 410-420mm seatpost to get 860mm of height. Being taller than average is even more challenging than being shorter than average when it comes to bike fit. Although it sounds like you're a candidate for the Vertex 29er which would be available in a 22" frame. :thumbsup:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=510130

#26 ·
rockyuphill said:
The XL RSL has a 490mm seat tube, so you'd sure need to find a 410-420mm seatpost to get 860mm of height. It sounds like you're a candidate for the Vertex 29er which would be available in a 22" frame. :thumbsup:
There are no seatposts longer than 410mm with offset.

I run this setup on my Element:
Fysik Gobi (=pretty tall)
Easton EA70 2005 400mm (loads of setback)
XT 180mm cranks
Eggbeater SL (=low stack height)

The seatspost goes just beyond the welding of the toptube, so i guess i don't have much to spare...

Anyways, this is all off-topic. I like my Element waaaay to much to sell it! A 29" Element would be nice though...:D

Does anybody know if Geoff has allready "secretly" ridden the new 29" Vertex?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.