Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Pivot Trail 429 XO1 build with Reynolds carbon rims (34mm) It has been modified from 28.5Lb to 27.1Lb with air and peddles. If you want to know my mods, feel free to ask. I have a 2.4 Maxxis DHR2 up front and a 2.4 Maxxis Rekon 840 grams in back. Both a TR, WT, MaxTerra, 3C, EXO. I want a faster rolling and lighter tire in back. Thinking about an 2.35 Ikon, 3C, MaxSpeed, TR 695 grams, maybe EXO 740 grams. I could save weight and role faster. Minion SS and Aggressor are also fast rolling tires. But none of these have WT for wide rims. I live in Minnesota. I do some technical and down hill as it pertains to MN trails, So not that down hill. I ride with guys a lot younger than me, can I switch to a lighter faster tire, or do I need the grip of Rekon?

Scott

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
The 29x2.6WT Rekon 3C/EXO/TR is only 780 grams. Run it front and back. That'll save you half a pound, roll better and feel more plush.
The pair I have with dried sealant in them are 810 grams each.

I'm running a 29x2.6WT DHF (same weight as your 2.4WT DHRII) up front and a 29x2.5 WT Aggressor on the back and REALLY like that combo.

I'm on a Giant Trance 29 Pro that's under 27 pounds with 29x2.35 Nobby Nics....it's a full 1.2 pounds heavier with the DHF/Agg combo, but they roll just about as well...I'm beginning to shed my weight weenieness. Stick a couple of NoNis on there and it'll be really light, and grip better than the Rekon you have on there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 29x2.6WT Rekon 3C/EXO/TR is only 780 grams. Run it front and back. That'll save you half a pound, roll better and feel more plush.
The pair I have with dried sealant in them are 810 grams each.
The thought crossed my mind. Would going to 2.6 raise rolling resistance?

I'm running a 29x2.6WT DHF (same weight as your 2.4WT DHRII) up front and a 29x2.5 WT Aggressor on the back and REALLY like that combo.
Get that you like the Aggressor, but why. Any thoughts on the Ikon,Minion SS. Especially without being WT?

I'm on a Giant Trance 29 Pro that's under 27 pounds with 29x2.35 Nobby Nics....it's a full 1.2 pounds heavier with the DHF/Agg combo, but they roll just about as well...I'm beginning to shed my weight weenieness. Stick a couple of NoNis on there and it'll be really light, and grip better than the Rekon you have on there.
I guess I am not very firmiliar with non Maxxis tyres.

Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the XR4 if you need a high volume tire that rolls well and pairs well with a grippy front tire.
So I did a little research after this post. It seems to be between the dhf/dhr and the Minion. Some reviewers like the Minion better. I currently have the recon. It does everything perfect in terms of grip, but it is not as light or fast rolling as the three I mentioned. Is the XR4 as fast rolling as the Minion?

Scott

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
XR4 is pretty quick rolling...

However it has awful grip when things get even the slightest bit damp.

Lack of side lugs means it's only fit for rear duties... unless, of course - you don't like to lean your whip over i.e. keep things more upright.

Then you'd be fine running an XR4 up front.

I've got a 29x2.6 XR5 up front on my AM HT.

It's side knobs aren't overly impressive.

But, it's sheer girth means enough traction for anything apart from full on mud.

'Born to ride!'

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Ok, first off the 2.4 WT Rekon is a fine, fast rolling trail tire for the rear. That is what it was designed to be. Your rim is relatively wide and that may make any tire feel like it's rolling slower until the trail gets chattery. Most tires designed to roll much faster than the Rekon 2.4 likely won't fit well with a rim that wide. You'll expose too much sidewall. But, I do hear the Bonti XR3 is quite fast and could work with your rim.

Next, while the front does not contribute to RR as much as the rear, you will feel a dhr 2.4 up front. It's a lot of tire. I know, I just took one off my bike. Same tire. Go with the thinner casing 2.6" tires up front in a faster rolling casing, like a Forcaster 2.6. I tried that tire and while fast it didn't hook up as well as a minion so I went to a DHF 2.6 up front.

Honest, I did not think of this until after I was almost finished this post but I'm selling my near new Forkaster I took off the front, on Pinkbike if interested.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The minion SS is good but doesn’t like wide tires (makes the side knobs engage when not leaned)

Honestly, I would try to go with the dual compound version of the 2.4 Rekon for the rear, same tread pattern, but harder/faster rolling compound. If you want to go even lighter/faster To an XC tire, I would go with the ardent race ore forekaster over the Ikon. Both are more aggressive than the Ikon but less so than the rekon. The 2.35 variants do fine on 30mm rims

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
The thought crossed my mind. Would going to 2.6 raise rolling resistance?

Get that you like the Aggressor, but why. Any thoughts on the Ikon,Minion SS. Especially without being WT?

I guess I am not very firmiliar with non Maxxis tyres.

Scott
Re: 2.6 and rolling resistance....no, I don't think so. Miker J addresses that, and the results of running it, for me indicate that's not an issue. Carcass construction, flex, etc. and knob design seem to make more of a difference than weight or size. My climb times have improved....as has my descending comfort.

As bronxbomber 252 mentioned, the dual compound does roll faster on the back. My big, heavy Aggressor seems to roll fast - again, according to the stop watch - and they hook up climbing and braking very well. I've only used 27.5x2.25 and 2.35 Ikons and wasn't much of a fan. I've heard good things about both the Forecaster and the Ardent Race (though I didn't care for the Ardent after they added transition knobs).

I tend to analyse timed results to determine what gear to use. I'm not a racer, just an old guy (67 in August) who wants to ride with my youngest son who is 39 years my junior, without boring him to death. To tell you the truth, though, even with all of the gear choices, the biggest determinant of how fast I go is hydration. It seems to be a lesson I have to learn 3 or 4 times each summer. You may consider hydration/nutrition if you are running fast tires already and feeling sluggish.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I can tell by the overall tone and sentiment of your post that you seem to be overly concerned about weight at the expense of performance. Wider/higher volume tires will roll faster over rough surfaces and the decreased rolling resistance will be much larger than even taking ten pounds of weight off your body or your bike. Either way we are talking about small amounts of power difference to go the same speed, but the effects related to a change in tires are much larger than any realistic amount of weight reduction you could possibly perform. I wouldn't purposely go fill my tires with water, but I also would not forego a tire that had good grip on the surfaces I wanted to ride on because one weighed more than the other. I cannot express strongly enough how much you're doing yourself a disservice if that's what you're doing. I can't say I blame you, because in the road world, people punished themselves on narrow/high pressure tires for about 100 years until it was discovered that wider tires actually roll faster and consume less energy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for everything. I ended up replacing the front 2.4 DHR2 for a 2.6 Rekon. I switched the back 2.4 Rekon for a 2.6 Ikon. Lost all most a half pound while adding volume and reducing rolling resistance. I dont think I will have as much grip as I used to. What are your guys thoughts? Did I do right?

Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.