Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

i'm looking for a new rear tire to pair with the Maxxis Minion 2.35 i just got, anyone have an idea of what Maxxis tire i should get?

riding style is AM/ singletrack on a lot of hardpacked trails so looking for something fairly small and not too aggressive.

i didn't go with the Minion 2.35 rear as i think its just too large for the rear for what i need.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I'm running the 2.35" Ignitor as a rear tire on a mix of loam/clay-based XC trails (not particularly hardpacked) here in PA that are fairly wet a lot of the year except the middle of the summer. Seem to handle the fall's leaves and limited-depth snowfalls well too.

To me the Ignitor seems to run small and IMHO its fairly fast and not that aggressive (at least compared to the 2.4" Conti MK up front).

FWIW: I'm running it on a 34 lb. full-sus 6" AM rig and I'm 180 lbs . . . .

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
roxnroots said:
I'm running the 2.35" Ignitor as a rear tire on a mix of loam/clay-based XC trails (not particularly hardpacked) here in PA that are fairly wet a lot of the year except the middle of the summer. Seem to handle the fall's leaves and limited-depth snowfalls well too.

To me the Ignitor seems to run small and IMHO its fairly fast and not that aggressive (at least compared to the 2.4" Conti MK up front).

FWIW: I'm running it on a 34 lb. full-sus 6" AM rig and I'm 180 lbs . . . .
Ignitor looks like a solid tire for the rear... i'd probably go 2.10 but if the 2.35 does run small i may try that.

What front tire you running?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Highwaystreets said:
looks solid as well... seems the ignitor is slightly lighter tho (although i'm not a weight weenie at all)
The Ignitor 26x2.1 is an older model, from when Maxxis tires ran small. That's why it's lighter. You'll find it measures closer to 1.9" wide. The ADvantage, however, is a newer model that runs true to size. I think the ADvantage 2.1 was a good suggestion. Here are some other "late model" choices, depending on your trail conditions and riding style: Ikon 2.2 Exo (good all-round tire, light, fast, and durable), Aspen 2.1 (the lightest, fastest, least amount of grip), Aspen 2.25 (much more volume than the 2.1, higher shoulder knobs allows for more aggressive cornering), CrossMark 2.1 (near-continuous center tread is nice if you ride a bit on pavement or fire roads), CrossMark 2.25 (just a larger version of the 2.1), Ardent 2.25 (with and without Exo) (nice all-round tire that rolls well and likes to be cornered aggressively).

The 2.25 sizes will be close in size to your DHF 2.35.

·
The Cheater
552 Posts
bholwel is right, without knowing your trail conditions, it's impossible to recommend anything.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
The Ardent is one of the best all-around tires I have ridden. The EXO is worth the added 60-70g IMO. If you are on primarily hard pack then the IKON is the one.

Personally I run the Ardent up front and Ikon in the back.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Highwaystreets said:
Ignitor looks like a solid tire for the rear... i'd probably go 2.10 but if the 2.35 does run small i may try that.

What front tire you running?
"Old-school" Continental Mountain King Protection 2.4. Several of the guys wrenching at my LBS (basically an all mtb place) run this setup on their own rigs for our Pennsylvania trails and seem to swear by it - no complaints on my end either. Some people don't like it for fast cornering or on wet rocks/roots FYI.

Like I said before, I really think the Maxxis Ignitor runs small but I'm looking at this from a pretty burly AM perspective on pretty rough trails. I think the Ignitor is a decently-fast tire for the rear and cleans the mud somewhat better than I was expecting.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Mk2.4 worse tire I've ever ridden around here, it only had 1 outting on mixed stuff on a wet day and will never go out with me atleast EVER.

Rear wise the cheap 70a Advantage 2.1 works really well on the rear, fast rolling and enough grip.

Personally, Xking 2.4 Protection is my rear tyre of choice, although I have got an advantage 2.4 on the rear the rigid cause it's huge :)

Second Race King 2.2 but needs drier conditions.

·
I'm with stupid
5,920 Posts
I liked it when i ran a 2.4 advantage in the rear with a minion 2.5 front. advantage is a good tire that got a bad rap for a weak sidewall which i hear is fix with the EXO version.
I ran the minion front and ignitor rear and it was "ok" at best. I did not like how the minion felt planted at speed but the ignitor could not keep up and gave a strange wiggling all over the place in the rear while the front was planted.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,439 Posts
Highwaystreets said:
hey all,

i'm looking for a new rear tire to pair with the Maxxis Minion 2.35 i just got, anyone have an idea of what Maxxis tire i should get?

riding style is AM/ singletrack on a lot of hardpacked trails so looking for something fairly small and not too aggressive.

i didn't go with the Minion 2.35 rear as i think its just too large for the rear for what i need.
Hardpack, Monorail flies as a rear. Crossmark is good too. Both are accurately sized 2.1's and as such are a little bigger than the 2.1 Ignitor. I found the Monorail outrolled the 2.1 Ignitor and the larger volume gave me more cushion.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I bit the bullet and bought an IKON this week. Not mounted yet so I can't say anything about it other than I almost choked when I saw the price at the LBS. My question is about a weight limitation that I found on the sidewall indicating a maximum load of 195 lbs. I've never seen a weight limit on a tire before and there is nothing in the specs on the Maxxis website. All of the other tires in my stable say nothing about weight limitations but this is by far the "raciest" tire I've ever purchased. Should I be concerned about performance (I'm not too far over, but at $80 a pop I don't really want to take any chances). BHolwell?

·
Save Jesus
2,947 Posts
lanruss said:
I bit the bullet and bought an IKON this week. Not mounted yet so I can't say anything about it other than I almost choked when I saw the price at the LBS. My question is about a weight limitation that I found on the sidewall indicating a maximum load of 195 lbs. I've never seen a weight limit on a tire before and there is nothing in the specs on the Maxxis website. All of the other tires in my stable say nothing about weight limitations but this is by far the "raciest" tire I've ever purchased. Should I be concerned about performance (I'm not too far over, but at $80 a pop I don't really want to take any chances). BHolwell?
I would return this tire on the basis of exceeding the weight limit.

Then go buy it from somewhere else for the more normal price of $50-60.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
lanruss said:
The load limit is the load seen by the tire in question, so for the rear it would be around 65 percent of the rider plus bike weight. The is a considerable factor of safety built in, so it is really a non-issue.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Last year when I started running the Ikon (29x2.2 EXO) I was 240lbs!! Never had any problems running it tubeless on Stans Flow rims. I normally run 28-30psi for the rear.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.