Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,242 Posts
I believe they're something like 62a center / 60a shoulder. Formulated to be sealant compatible.

You shouldn't be able to tell a difference from the compound of the non-TR single compound Ardent 2.25.

· Registered
2,242 Posts
Yeah, that combo should work pretty well. If you've got a lot of marble-sized gravel, though, I prefer something with a little more open tread pattern than the Ardent or Ardent Race; something like the Advantage works better, imo.

· I'm with stupid
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have run that tire before, it worked quite well. I have moved away from it because it does not come in a EXO sidewall and the tire set up I was hoping to have is the holy grail, lite, fast, massive traction. and slightly tougher. I know I cant have them all, thats what makes me have such a hard time with tire choice. Maybe I will give them another go, rumor has is that A.D. helped design this tire, if that is the case then she tested it on the same trails I ride daily.

· Registered
2,242 Posts
I have run that tire before, it worked quite well. I have moved away from it because it does not come in a EXO sidewall and the tire set up I was hoping to have is the holy grail, lite, fast, massive traction. and slightly tougher. I know I cant have them all, thats what makes me have such a hard time with tire choice. Maybe I will give them another go, rumor has is that A.D. helped design this tire, if that is the case then she tested it on the same trails I ride daily.
Yes, Alison helped design that tire. Although that was before my time.

I actually reached out to her to ask what tires she was running these days. Here's an excerpt from her reply:
Good to hear from you! The tires I like for the Colorado Springs and Front Range area are the Maxxis 2.3 Ardent, the 2.4 Advantage, and the 2.4 Minion. Because I don't race anymore I like the big tires  The 2.1 Advantage and Ardent are good race tires for Colorado.

Hope this helps!
I think she meant a '2.25 Ardent'. Anyhow, for trail riding I think you'd be pleased with a 2.3 DHF front and 2.25 Ardent Exo rear. For XC racing, I'd recommend a 2.1 ADvantage front, and either a 2.1 ADvantage rear, or a 2.2 Ikon Exo rear if you feel you need the sidewall protection.

· I'm with stupid
5,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a specialized butcher laying around so I threw that on ( minion clone) I will try that on the front for a bit and advantage rear. If that does not work out, I will get a 2.4 advantage for the front as bholwell suggested. For some strange reason the ADvantage does not seem to be a popular tire choice. I wonder why..... worked great last time I tried it.

· Colorado
439 Posts
I had a specialized butcher laying around so I threw that on ( minion clone) I will try that on the front for a bit and advantage rear. If that does not work out, I will get a 2.4 advantage for the front as bholwell suggested. For some strange reason the ADvantage does not seem to be a popular tire choice. I wonder why..... worked great last time I tried it.
Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.