Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I believe they're something like 62a center / 60a shoulder. Formulated to be sealant compatible.

You shouldn't be able to tell a difference from the compound of the non-TR single compound Ardent 2.25.

·
I'm with stupid
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info!
While I have you hear would it be worth running the ardent race in the rear with the normal ardent up front. The conditions are Colorado front range so mostly dusty and gravelish. Or if you think something else would work better I'm all ears.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Yeah, that combo should work pretty well. If you've got a lot of marble-sized gravel, though, I prefer something with a little more open tread pattern than the Ardent or Ardent Race; something like the Advantage works better, imo.

·
I'm with stupid
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have run that tire before, it worked quite well. I have moved away from it because it does not come in a EXO sidewall and the tire set up I was hoping to have is the holy grail, lite, fast, massive traction. and slightly tougher. I know I cant have them all, thats what makes me have such a hard time with tire choice. Maybe I will give them another go, rumor has is that A.D. helped design this tire, if that is the case then she tested it on the same trails I ride daily.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I have run that tire before, it worked quite well. I have moved away from it because it does not come in a EXO sidewall and the tire set up I was hoping to have is the holy grail, lite, fast, massive traction. and slightly tougher. I know I cant have them all, thats what makes me have such a hard time with tire choice. Maybe I will give them another go, rumor has is that A.D. helped design this tire, if that is the case then she tested it on the same trails I ride daily.
Yes, Alison helped design that tire. Although that was before my time.

I actually reached out to her to ask what tires she was running these days. Here's an excerpt from her reply:
Good to hear from you! The tires I like for the Colorado Springs and Front Range area are the Maxxis 2.3 Ardent, the 2.4 Advantage, and the 2.4 Minion. Because I don’t race anymore I like the big tires  The 2.1 Advantage and Ardent are good race tires for Colorado.

Hope this helps!
I think she meant a '2.25 Ardent'. Anyhow, for trail riding I think you'd be pleased with a 2.3 DHF front and 2.25 Ardent Exo rear. For XC racing, I'd recommend a 2.1 ADvantage front, and either a 2.1 ADvantage rear, or a 2.2 Ikon Exo rear if you feel you need the sidewall protection.

·
Colorado
410 Posts
Thanks a bunch. I am always blow away with how it seems that everyone including myself run bit monster truck tires because the traction is so poor in the springs.
Just wondering what you decided to go with up front? I'm in the Front Range as well, and am trying to decide if I should stay with an Ignitor, or go with something else. Thanks.

·
I'm with stupid
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a specialized butcher laying around so I threw that on ( minion clone) I will try that on the front for a bit and advantage rear. If that does not work out, I will get a 2.4 advantage for the front as bholwell suggested. For some strange reason the ADvantage does not seem to be a popular tire choice. I wonder why..... worked great last time I tried it.

·
Colorado
410 Posts
I had a specialized butcher laying around so I threw that on ( minion clone) I will try that on the front for a bit and advantage rear. If that does not work out, I will get a 2.4 advantage for the front as bholwell suggested. For some strange reason the ADvantage does not seem to be a popular tire choice. I wonder why..... worked great last time I tried it.
Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts