Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding mostly Maxxis tires for years but am interested in trying out some other brands next time I buy tires. I'd be curious to know what are the the most similar models from Vittoria, Schwalbe, Specialized, WTB, Kenda, Continental, etc...to the following Maxxis models:

• DHF
  • DHR II
  • Dissector
  • Aggressor
  • Rekon
  • Forekaster
  • Ardent Race
  • Ikon
  • Aspen

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've been riding mostly Maxxis tires for years but am interested in trying out some other brands next time I buy tires. I'd be curious to know what are the the most similar models from Vittoria, Schwalbe, Specialized, WTB, Kenda, Continental, etc...to the following Maxxis models:

• DHF
  • DHR II
  • Dissector
  • Aggressor
  • Rekon
  • Forekaster
  • Ardent Race
  • Ikon
  • Aspen
The Assegai is a Maxxis tire worth trying not on your list. It's an interesting change from either a DHF or A DHR2 up front for more aggressive riding.

I know that wasn't your question though. DHF and DHR2 have been my defaults for many years. I'm checking out Magic Mary and Hans Dampf on my Sentinel for a change. A little lighter duty than the DHF and DHR2 combo maybe but also a good choice for my terrain. Dry, loose over hard, some rocks.

·
Registered
688 Posts
IME, having run both, the Rekon and the Terrene McFly look and ride very similarly. I used both as rear tires back to back and they performed almost identically. Could be my imagination but the Rekon might roll a little easier since it has ramped knobs and the McFly doesn't but I can't be sure if it was placebo effect. I'll put it this way, when the McFly wears out I'll either get another one or the Rekon just depending on which I find in stock and best price at the time.

Again highly subjectively, I took off a DHF off the front and replaced it with the WTB Vigilante which I like MUCH better. That surprised me a bit since the DHF seems to have a nearly universal following, but for me the Vig is my standard front tire henceforth.

I hadn't had good experience with Specialized tires in the past but it's been several years since I tried them. They felt overly muted like having novocaine effect on your face after a dentist visit. To be fair, a friend of mine says the latest generation of tires from Specialized feel much better than the old ones and I'm not opposed to giving them another shot.

Both were used in loose over hardpack and rocks along the Colorado front range riding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.