Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

· No good in rock gardens..
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the thread for those who love Maxxis tyres and other Maxxis rubber goods. :)

I'm a long time Maxxis fan, having used their rubber since the days when they had numbers instead of names or names like Incisor, Helter and Skelter, etc.

I don't think I've ever had a bad Maxxis tyre, though of course not all ended up suiting my terrain or riding style.

By and large I've found them to be great value, have an acceptable lifespan within their intended operating window and to do what it says on the tin.

Maxxis I've run over the years
- the 1066
- Helter
- 2.1 HardDrive Dual
- 2.1 Monorail Exception
- 2.1 Rendez
- 2.1 High Roller
- 2.1 Crossmark Exception
- 2.1 Ignitor
- 2.25 Ardent
- soon to take delivery of 2.2 Ikon Exception
- assorted tubes including the Flyweight.

So - Maxxis lovers sound off. :thumbsup:

· Registered
506 Posts
Love Maxxis stuff... I've been using Flyweight tubes and Crossmark Exceptions since they came out and now Ikon 2.2 Exception. Last year I tried Conti Race King SS 2.2's and while I loved the tire, they weren't durable at all. This year went to the 2.2 Ikon and performance has been comparable to the Race Kings, except the Ikon's look great after a full season.

· bi-winning
11,112 Posts
I've been nothing but happy with my 2.1 folding (non-eXCeption) Crossmarks. I've run them for two seasons, and they have proved to be very durable. The continuous centre provides fast rolling, but the nicely spaced side knobs make for a rather versatile tire. The volume is good for a 2.1, and the weight is decent for a tire at the price point.

I don't love all Maxxis tires, but the Crossmark has been very good to me.

4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm really liking the 2.25 Ardent folding i have up front on my Cannondale Rush. It's been a really stable, predictable tyre and doesn't get upset even in really loose, rocky terrain and nor does it have that sudden "let go" feeling, even in snady or silty corners. I find I can just forget about it most of the time, or it's also fun to really stuff it over in a corner. Hopefully the Ikon shows up today or tomorrow, in time for the weekend. :)

I also found the Rendez to be a bit of an unsung jewel - a real edging tyre up front and it also has more bite on the rear than you'd expect from the open, ramped tread. Not the fastest on the back, but not bad. Paired with a Monorail on the rear, this was a fast rolling combo and the Monorail also had more climbing traction than I expected though the Exception casing was out of it's intended application in some of the rocky terrain hereabouts.

The 2.1 High Roller, while undersized, punched above it's weight and while not the fastest on the rear it could certainly carve a corner up front. Looking forward to the lighter versions of the HRII when they appear. :)

I found the Flyweight tubes to make a considerable difference in weight as you'd expect, the only issue was that tyre pressure was critical in rocky terrain as they'd pinch flat real easy. For hardpack or trails without sharp edged hits they are good.

· Registered
994 Posts
I've pretty much exclusively run Maxxis tires since I started riding, and don't plan on switching!

I've tried the Maxxis Crossmark, Larsen, Aspen, and now the Ikon. Although the Maxxis Ikon is by far the best out of all of them, they were all incredible tires!

· Registered
1,054 Posts
I love their tires, but really wish they'd jump on the tubeless ready bandwagon. Single ply dhf exo, ikon exo, and ardent exo would be soooo awesome with a ust spec bead. The regular ones work great on stans rims, but I've blown them off ust rims. Otherwise, my favorite tire co.

· Registered
167 Posts
I only swear by maxxis tires too. I got stock Mountain kings 2.2 on my brand new Altitude RSL 70 and I was ready to throw the bike down a hill in the first ride. They were THAT bad in our ride conditions here. So I swapped back to a DHF/HR setup and never looked back so far. On the next season, I might try an ardent 2.25 at the rear for more fast rolling without sacrificing too much a certain agressive side (really techy trails here). I'll be keeping a DHF on the front all the time for sure tho:thumbsup:

· Registered
714 Posts
Running a 2.5 DHF exo front and a 2.35 HR rear on one bike.

Running a 2.35 DHR ST front and a 2.1 SB8 DTC rear on another bike.

We have some really dry conditions here in MN right now and the SB8 doesn't even compare to the HR on the other bike. So much lateral grip w/ the maxxis tires in all conditions, its just unreal compared to the other tires I have been on. It is a wash between front tires, the DHF seems to roll a little faster than the DHR. That Super Tacky DHR has a lot of grip though.

4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fresh from the postie just now. :thumbsup:

Out of interest, I put the calipers over the well worn 2.1 Rendez that was on the back, and on the worn in 2.25 Ardent that's on the front. Rims are DT Swiss X450's and 24mm wide at the outside.

Rendez: casing 1.93
knob 2.0

Ardent: casing 2.1
knob 2.177
overall rolling height from inside of rim to top of centre tread 2.825

Ikon: casing 2.0.
knob - 1.95 (they don't stick out past the widest point of the casing
Overall rolling height as per the Ardent is 2.765. I think this tyre will grow.

Looking forward to trying the Ikon out, it certainly feels very light and supple, time will tell how it goes in the rocky stuff around here.

Attachments

· ~Reformed Mechanic~
2,135 Posts

Out of interest, I put the calipers over the well worn 2.1 Rendez that was on the back, and on the worn in 2.25 Ardent that's on the front. Rims are DT Swiss X450's and 24mm wide at the outside.

knob 2.0

knob 2.177

Looking forward to trying the Ikon out, it certainly feels very light and supple, time will tell how it goes in the rocky stuff around here.
Please Follow up on how you like your IKON's. Ive been riding mine for probably a month now and they haven't let me down yet. If I had some criticism they dont perform well in the wet condition (but we knew this buying them) as far as dry conditions go im not getting quite the rear climbing traction I would like... So I'm considering replacing just the rear.

· Registered
6 Posts
I recently replaced the stock tires and wheels on my '04 Specialized with Mavic Crossride wheels and 2.1 High Rollers. The tires seemed a little different at first, but now I'm getting used to them. I've wondered if I should switch to something a little bigger, though.

Yesterday on my way down Mount Falcon I had a blowout on the front. I was riding through a relatively smooth section when I heard a loud hissing, so I stopped as quickly as I could. There was a huge gash in the sidewall, but on closer inspection it looked like a crack that went halfway across the tread but only opened up on the sidewall. I had used the Stan's kit to make these tires tubeless and I was running about 30 psi. Here's my question: do you think this was a fault in the tire, or is it my fault for converting a non-tubeless tire to tubeless? I'm thinking about calling Jenson USA to see what they think, and I'm also trying to decide if I should stick with Maxxis or switch to something else.

· Boriqua Puneta
169 Posts

knob 2.0

knob 2.177

Lets us know how they work for you. If they hols up well on rocky terrain ill probably get one for the rear.

4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yesterday on my way down Mount Falcon I had a blowout on the front. I was riding through a relatively smooth section when I heard a loud hissing, so I stopped as quickly as I could. There was a huge gash in the sidewall, but on closer inspection it looked like a crack that went halfway across the tread but only opened up on the sidewall. I had used the Stan's kit to make these tires tubeless and I was running about 30 psi. Here's my question: do you think this was a fault in the tire, or is it my fault for converting a non-tubeless tire to tubeless? I'm thinking about calling Jenson USA to see what they think, and I'm also trying to decide if I should stick with Maxxis or switch to something else.
There are a few posts on here relating to the effect of some tubeless sealants on non-tubeless tyres. In particular, Kenda tyres and Stan's.

Remember that you are using a tyre outside the window for which is was designed - running a tube tyre with no tube, and adding a substance that the tyre manufacturer didn't factor into the chemistry or construction of their tyres.

I have run a 2.1 Ignitor "ghetto" tubeless with Stan's for a couple of months and had no issues. The tyre went on to give great service with a tube with no ill effects from the Stan's that I could see. Also ran a pair of tube 2.1 IRC Mibro's ghetto with Stan's and had no tyre failures there either.

I would not discount something in the trail having damaged the tyre, also. I've had cuts from various unseen objects before. Sometimes you just get unlucky. :( I've been on rides where guys with heavy DH rubber got cut tyres and I was running XC racing tyres and had none. Luck of the draw.

4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Put 36km onto the Ikon today. I have no pressure gauge, apart from my thumb. :)

I normally run tyres soft - just above the point at which they will wallow on the rim. I find that gets me the best traction and they roll over rough surfaces instead of fighting the surface.

The Ikon rolled as I expected it too - smooth, with a "swarm of bees" style buzz and it picked up speed and held it with little effort.

Torqued some big gears on some smooth fire road climbs and the tyre didn't bog down. Efforts were rewarded. :) No real test of climbing traction yet.

The tyre has that "jump up and sprint me" feel to it that a fast tyre should. In corners it holds on tighter than the rear Monorail I used to run - that tyre had the agreeable trait of going out a tad wide and setting the bike up nicely for the corner. The Ikon tended to follow along behind the Ardent.

I dropped the pressure to the point where I got wallow, though I couldn't be bothered stopping to top it up. At the trail head, which has a fast, rough and rutted and rocky downhill, I flatted just before the bitumen that leads to home. Pinch flat and it's happened to me in this spot before when I've been running my rear too soft.

Thus far, happy with this tyre on the back, though for around here the Ardent 2.25 is great on the front. Width is now 2.055" at the casing.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.