Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
No, it actually doesn't suck horribly. It obviously not designed for wet muddy conditions, but the tread clears pretty well. Something like the Ignitor, Rocket Ron, Mud X will perform better.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Plenty of experience in the wet with them.

Depends on what your wet conditions are like. If it is wet, rocks and roots they are quite good, as good as any XC tire out there. If it is deep mud then they are overwhelmed and a mud tire would be appropriate.

·
Save Jesus
2,947 Posts
I must be the only one that has had bad experiences with this tire in damp to wet conditions. In even 1/4" mud, the tire slips out. In even slightly damp dirt, it packs up and starts slipping. I think part of the problem is that the rubber compound seems kind of hard and slick. The two other tires I have ridden in similar conditions (Conti Race King and Mountain King) also pack up, but as long as the tops of the knobs are still exposed, the magical Black Chili compound still gives some grip.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
How does the 26 x 2.2 size compare to Crossmarks 2.1? Crossmarks seem big, I want to confirm whether the Ikon is visibly bigger. Good side cornering knobs? Thanks.

I'm considering a Crossmark 2.1 rear and Ikon 2.2 front, for hardpack to loose over hardpack in the midwest.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
I've found the triple compound EXO version to be quite good for damp to moderately wet conditions. If it's swampy a true mud tire will be best.

@ rfxc - that should be a good hardpack combo but why not the Ikon front and rear?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've been using the Ikons for about 2 months now, in everything from dusty hardpack to sodden clay/rock/roots here in New Zealand, and I've been very happy with their performance. If it's properly muddy, look elsewhere (I've got Beavers for that) but for most conditions the Ikon seems very good. :thumbsup:

This all depends on a whole lot of variables, like your local soil conditions, tyre pressures, setup, etc... so what works for one person might not work for another.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
bholwell said:
No, it actually doesn't suck horribly. It obviously not designed for wet muddy conditions, but the tread clears pretty well. Something like the Ignitor, Rocket Ron, Mud X will perform better.
How does it compare w/ an Aspen?

I have a 2.25 Crossmark LUST on the rear wheel and would like to go to something a bit lighter...I have been contemplating converting either a standard Ikon or Aspen.

I live in PA and ride typical eastern roots/rocks w/ a fair bit of mud. So far the Crossmark has been good, but the UST tire is a bit heavy. I should also ask about sizing. I would be ok with a slightly smaller tire.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I must be the only one that has had bad experiences with this tire in damp to wet conditions. ..
Nope, you're not the only one.

I too found them to be pretty ordinary on wet rock, and damp conditions. In the mud, forget it.

The IKON seems to get a bit hyped up here, not saying its a turkey, but I'm much happier with the Racing Ralph.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.