Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of the Ikons that I want to use as a rear. It's new and have not used it because of the bubbling issue articulated so many times on the "long term" thread.
However, I wonder if is related to Stan's or is there another sealant that has more success with this tire, ie Slime, Orange, etc.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I've ran many Ikons over the years with Stan's sealant and never had a problem (and I still do). Most of the tread separation issues I've seen, though, have been with Stan's. Use Slime Pro, if it gives you some piece of mind.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
The non-natural latex sealants like Bontrager TLR do NOT contain ammonia and will not bubble tires. Last a lot longer than the natural latex sealants too!

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Maxxis Ikon EXO w/ sealant...is there a sealant that willl not bubble these t...

I have one of the Ikons that I want to use as a rear. It's new and have not used it because of the bubbling issue articulated so many times on the "long term" thread.
However, I wonder if is related to Stan's or is there another sealant that has more success with this tire, ie Slime, Orange, etc.
Yes. Butyl rubber. AKA an inner tube.

·
Happy Trails
1,190 Posts
Maxxis Ikon EXO w/ sealant...is there a sealant that willl not bubble these t...

Stan's. No problems over 1 year on two bikes with Ikons. Also, tubeless is better.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The non-natural latex sealants like Bontrager TLR do NOT contain ammonia and will not bubble tires
Correct : you can use Caffelatex and Stan's Revo Sealant which are synthetic formulated sealants as well. Caffelatex is the only sealant recommended for usage in Dugast Tubulars.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like it takes a year or so for the migration into the layers. Since this is on a back-up bike, I'll probably just use a tube. Whoever borrows it probably won't care anyway.

Thanks for the tips on Stan's Revo, which I've not heard of. BTW, do any of the alternatives, such as Caffelatex last any longer? I'm finding that 2 months is the "safe" gap for me. At 3 months, it's marginal, and 4 months is just not effective at sealing a puncture.

It would really be nice to see a test with the different sealants over time. Like the Stan's video with the ice pick, but conducted at one month intervals.

·
Registered
507 Posts
From Stan's FAQ page

I heard there is ammonia in your sealant and it is bad for my tire and or rim?
Any trace amount of ammonia in Stan’s sealant will evaporate soon after it is injected into the tire. We have found no damaging effects from our sealant even after years of use. Any oxidation in your rim will just as likely be caused by riding in wet conditions or the humidity in the air. Although tape may not be necessary to seal your rim, you may add one layer to protect un-anodized or scratched areas of your rim from oxidation due to moisture in the sealant.

Will using your sealant void the warranty on my tire?
Using our sealant will void your tire warranty with certain manufacturers. Stan’s NoTubes Sealant will not damage your tire.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Thanks for the tips on Stan's Revo, which I've not heard of. BTW, do any of the alternatives, such as Caffelatex last any longer?
I made a little typo - it's Continental Revo ;)

Continental Revo or Caffelatex don't last any longer, I would say about the same. I have done last year some puncture testing myself - sealing bigger holes : the best was Sludge / NoZisch, followed by Caffelatex.

Caffelatex is easier to remove from the tires and doesn't stick the sidewalls together in case you have a big cut and need to insert a tube.

Stan's was OK for punctures with nails up to 2mm, while the other two managed punctures up to 5mm.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,610 Posts
Tires dont last anywhere close to a year, so I guess I have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
TLR will easily last a year from my experience. I'm in the Pacific NW where we don't get temperature extremes tho so YMMV.

Have FUN!

G MAN

1 - 13 of 13 Posts