Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
aosty said:
Anyone else think Maxxis Ignitors wear out a bit fast (particularly on the rear) ?
I can tell a big difference in wear on the rear vs wear on the front after a few weeks of pretty long riding. the middle knobs are noticeably more worn from grinding up long steep hills.

·
WAWE
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spookykinkajou said:
I can tell a big difference in wear on the rear vs wear on the front after a few weeks of pretty long riding. the middle knobs are noticeably more worn from grinding up long steep hills.
Same deal here... the wear isn't huge but the center knobs are pretty flattened... lots of traction loss on the steeps.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
I've got about 150 miles on mine on the rear, maybe more. Yes, it's wearing faster than a motoraptor, but that's ok since it's a way better tire than the moto. The rubber is softer!
I've not lost any traction though...hey Al, have you tried lessening the psi?
Normally running my rears at about 35-38psi..i found the Ignitior to SUCK at that pressure....I've settled nicely around 30-32psi and it's quite dreamy up and down now.
I'm sure someone of your "stature" could rock that tire at 25psi or less.

Last night, Leslie rode her rigid Rig around Aliso with the rear Ignitor at 25psi and the front Exi at 22. She had a blast!

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Padre said:
I've got about 150 miles on mine on the rear, maybe more. Yes, it's wearing faster than a motoraptor, but that's ok since it's a way better tire than the moto. The rubber is softer!
Normally running my rears at about 35-38psi..i found the Ignitior to SUCK at that pressure....I've settled nicely around 30-32psi and it's quite dreamy up and down now.

Last night, Leslie rode her rigid Rig around Aliso with the rear Ignitor at 25psi and the front Exi at 22. She had a blast!
Have you ridden the nano? Does it roll faster? I ask because I'm doing the kokopelli race next week and am debating switching to the nano from f/r ignitors.

FWIW, for those that ride on rocky trails I would NOT recommend running the pressures he mentions. I ran 30psi at first and flatted numerous times. That psi was on very rocky trails and sometimes at very high speeds as well. I jacked mine up to 40psi and haven't flatted since but the traction is not so great up front and tolerable in the rear. I feel i could probably drop a few out of the front but haven't been tried yet since i've been mostly ss'ing it on the roadbike in a desperate attempt to prepare for the 142mi race next week:)

I'm 170lb, btw.

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
Spookykinkajou said:
a desperate attempt to prepare for the 142mi race next week:)
Ouch... good luck.. try and post some pics.. we need more riding pics on this board. Sorry if way off topic.

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
bigwheelboy_490 said:
Ouch... good luck.. try and post some pics.. we need more riding pics on this board. Sorry if way off topic.
Thanks, and I'm about 100% sure I won't be bringing my camera along for the ride since I'm doing all I can to reduce weight(it's totally unsupported so we have to bring water pump and all of our food, etc.) Plus I doubt I'll be in a picture taking mood most the ride:)

·
WAWE
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks but I ain't that light :p... 170-175. I also like it waaaay more than the Moto - but yea, they like to be run way low... front 18-24psi, rear 23-26psi. Okay, the 18psi last night wasn't intentional but it worked fine. :)

Padre said:

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Yup...I rode the Nano fore and aft on my Vulture for the 1st year I had it. I've rode the Vision Quest with that set up with 38psi 2 years ago. A lighter fellow wouldn't need more than 32psi on the Nano in ANY condition.
Donkey rides his Nano's around 25psi I think and rarely flats....

Spookykinkajou said:
Have you ridden the nano? Does it roll faster? I ask because I'm doing the kokopelli race next week and am debating switching to the nano from f/r ignitors.

FWIW, for those that ride on rocky trails I would NOT recommend running the pressures he mentions. I ran 30psi at first and flatted numerous times. That psi was on very rocky trails and sometimes at very high speeds as well. I jacked mine up to 40psi and haven't flatted since but the traction is not so great up front and tolerable in the rear. I feel i could probably drop a few out of the front but haven't been tried yet since i've been mostly ss'ing it on the roadbike in a desperate attempt to prepare for the 142mi race next week:)

I'm 170lb, btw.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
aosty said:
Thanks but I ain't that light :p... 170-175. I also like it waaaay more than the Moto - but yea, they like to be run way low... front 18-24psi, rear 23-26psi. Okay, the 18psi last night wasn't intentional but it worked fine. :)
Hmmmmm....kinky...that low, eh? Cool...I'll drop her psi even more then.... sweet!

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
makes sense...

softer, stickier rubber will wear quicker. it's the usual trade-off, and i'll go for the grippier performance over longer life. but, as Padre mentioned, traction shouldn't suffer too much with moderate wear, esp at proper tire pressures. the rubber compound and casing design of the tire has more to do with straight ahead grip in many conditions than does the knob height.

Spooky- something just came to mind after reading this post and your rigid fork SPAM post; if you are selling your rigid fork because it beat you up, and you were flatting Ignitors when running under 40 PSI, it could mean that you need to pick your lines more carefully. bash less- float more. ride light, as they say. if Padre can run an Ignitor at under 40 PSI as 235# or more, your 170 should be able to do it in a snap! ;) of course, this seems like stating the obvious, but... it seemed really obvious. :p

OGG

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
OneGearGuy said:
softer, stickier rubber will wear quicker. it's the usual trade-off, and i'll go for the grippier performance over longer life. but, as Padre mentioned, traction shouldn't suffer too much with moderate wear, esp at proper tire pressures. the rubber compound and casing design of the tire has more to do with straight ahead grip in many conditions than does the knob height.

Spooky- something just came to mind after reading this post and your rigid fork SPAM post; if you are selling your rigid fork because it beat you up, and you were flatting Ignitors when running under 40 PSI, it could mean that you need to pick your lines more carefully. bash less- float more. ride light, as they say. if Padre can run an Ignitor at under 40 PSI as 235# or more, your 170 should be able to do it in a snap! ;) of course, this seems like stating the obvious, but... it seemed really obvious. :p

OGG
You may be right.

The rigid fork was not the primary cause of my shoulder issue. It's an old problem from many years of tennis that got inflamed after i did something to it while doing incline bench a few weeks before Pisgah and then I hit it again going down pilot rock to make matters worse. Basically, if I keep riding a rigid fork it'll never heal.

I pick my lines as best as I can but I probably go faster than the average bear does on a full rigid set up. To be honest and I hope i dont sound cocky but... thus far I've never ridden with anyone that goes faster on any bike down hills. I definitely took a serious beating going down pilot rock, for example. hell I even got a blood blister from the massive amount of heat built up on my palms:) All my flats were super slow leaks too that I discovered the next morning.

That said, my new idea for a new bike (ho ho ho) is a do everything cross bike. I've discovered I like road riding a lot too - the big centuries and more - but can't really justify dumping another 3g's in to a bike so i'm thinking a geared cross bike full time:) Hmmmmmmm
I

·
WAWE
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Spookykinkajou said:
I pick my lines as best as I can but I probably go faster than the average bear does on a full rigid set up. To be honest and I hope i dont sound cocky but... thus far I've never ridden with anyone that goes faster on any bike down hills.
Padre will accept your challenge... top of Telonics... 5:30am on Friday.

:D :D :D :p :eek: ;)

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
good points...

Spookykinkajou said:
You may be right.

The rigid fork was not the primary cause of my shoulder issue. It's an old problem from many years of tennis that got inflamed after i did something to it while doing incline bench a few weeks before Pisgah and then I hit it again going down pilot rock to make matters worse. Basically, if I keep riding a rigid fork it'll never heal.

I pick my lines as best as I can but I probably go faster than the average bear does on a full rigid set up. To be honest and I hope i dont sound cocky but... thus far I've never ridden with anyone that goes faster on any bike down hills. I definitely took a serious beating going down pilot rock, for example. hell I even got a blood blister from the massive amount of heat built up on my palms:) All my flats were super slow leaks too that I discovered the next morning.

That said, my new idea for a new bike (ho ho ho) is a do everything cross bike. I've discovered I like road riding a lot too - the big centuries and more - but can't really justify dumping another 3g's in to a bike so i'm thinking a geared cross bike full time:) Hmmmmmmm
I
I have been nursing a sore left shoulder off and on for almost 9 years since a SUV hit me while commuting in '96. I hope my rigid setup will do okay for my riding- I may not be the DH rider you are. ;)

I understand where you are coming from with squishy forks. Sometimes they seem like the only (if not evil) alternative to not killing our bodies. Your idea for a do-it-all cross bike is exactly what I had in mind for my next bike. Geez, are we bike whores, or what?! You just got your Spicer a couple months ago and my Waltworks isn't even here for a couple more days, lol. :rolleyes: :D

But a crosser set up to do it all - maybe I will call mine the "Cross Dresser" - is the only real bike missing from my stable at this time (well, of bikes that I currently lust after).

Oh, I will prolly try the Ignitor at some point; on the rear wheel, me thinks.

OGG

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
aosty said:
Padre will accept your challenge... top of Telonics... 5:30am on Friday.

:D :D :D :p :eek: ;)
lol...

How about we have a happy median and he come out to Fruita on the 15th. After I finish the 142mi kokopelli we can race down porcupine rim:) I'll just need someone to drive me to the top and bring the bike as well.

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
OneGearGuy said:
I have been nursing a sore left shoulder off and on for almost 9 years since a SUV hit me while commuting in '96. I hope my rigid setup will do okay for my riding- I may not be the DH rider you are. ;)

I understand where you are coming from with squishy forks. Sometimes they seem like the only (if not evil) alternative to not killing our bodies. Your idea for a do-it-all cross bike is exactly what I had in mind for my next bike. Geez, are we bike whores, or what?! You just got your Spicer a couple months ago and my Waltworks isn't even here for a couple more days, lol. :rolleyes: :D

But a crosser set up to do it all - maybe I will call mine the "Cross Dresser" - is the only real bike missing from my stable at this time (well, of bikes that I currently lust after).

Oh, I will prolly try the Ignitor at some point; on the bike, me thinks.

OGG
I'm definitely a bike whore. Constantly changing mostly because it's fun. I really like the 29er and see no reason to change to anything besides it for trail duty. I really wish I had opted for gears too on the spicer. stupid stupid. SS'ing on the road is OK I just can't keep up on the flats and downhills with a max speed before spinning out of around 23mph. I currently ride a ~1985 scwhinn traveler on the road with a 48-18 setup, a front wheel missing two spokes, a really really bad seatpost(old bolt-on that doesnt sit straight), handle bar(too narrow), and stem(flexy) The frame feels dead compared to the Merlin my buddy let me ride a few times. flexy and slow accelerating.

FWIW, re: tires. I thought the exiwolf up front was excellent for the trails down by you. From all I've read the nano offers better traction in the rear but i've yet to use it so can't recommend it. The exiwolf has significantly better traction over the ignitor up front. I could never feel the weight or drag of it either. The ignitor in the rear works fine but like aosty posted - wears down quickly. It did spin occasionally on me when grinding up hills @ pisgah but since i didn't try any other tire in the rear don't know if this would always happen.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.