Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
Damn, that's light. Might make a decent hardpack/medium conditions front tire, or looser condition rear tire. I ran the UST version front and rear on my 26er XC bike for a long time and enjoyed everything except for the weight. I guess they aren't super fast rollers either but you can't really expect them to be.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Nice weight, how's the casing feel? Jim, the Ignitor is only not a fast roller on tarmac, once you hit the trail I have found they roll quite well. Had a set of the originals and they lasted long, was the only tyre I have I would run F & R and not worry what trail conditions I might encounter.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
How's that tread patern looking for you Ronnie? How's it compare to the Ignitors and what ever else you have and run? Thinking of picking up some new tyres and the EXO sidewall seems to be dealing with any sidewall issues there were before, so might go back to Crossmarks or the Ikon as a rear for dry weather.

cytoe said:
Just got some Ikon's (Exo). Actual weight is 588g. Sidewalls feel beefy:).

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
gregnash said:
MeltingFeathers ..... How are the AKAs doing? And what do you mean by "portly"?
Definitely might have to look into these as a light/race tire.
i really like the AKAs. seem to roll well and grip like velcro for me. i don't do much riding in wet/mud though.
by portly i mean ~700g

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
LyNx said:
How's that tread patern looking for you Ronnie? How's it compare to the Ignitors and what ever else you have and run? Thinking of picking up some new tyres and the EXO sidewall seems to be dealing with any sidewall issues there were before, so might go back to Crossmarks or the Ikon as a rear for dry weather.
Haven't put them on yet... never used the Ignitors so dunno how they compare. I've been running Specialized Captain back and Rampage front. The Ikons tread is way more shallow...hope they wear ok. These are going on my SS.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Just put on a pair of Ikons on my Tallboy. 590g on my scale. They are really skinny. Very low profile.almost like small block 8, so it should roll really well. Pic is Ikon on the left and the Ignitor on the right. I think urbiksuc nailed it ....Ignitor front and the Ikon on the back.Going for a ride now. I'll let you know how the work out here in Colorado....

Attachments

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
meltingfeather said:
i really like the AKAs. seem to roll well and grip like velcro for me. i don't do much riding in wet/mud though.
by portly i mean ~700g
LOL.... no portly is my Halo ChoirMasters which are advertised at 835g... I am sure they weigh quite a bit more as they are steel bead! Thinking once I try these for a while I will go with either the IKON/AKA or Ignitor in the rear. I am sure that pushing 835+g on each wheel on a steel 29er will be quite fun :madman:

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
I have about 600mi on my Ikons (front/rear combo) and they work great for everything I have rode on. I really can't fault these tires...they are nothing but stellar! I have ran the Ignitor as a front tire for many years...and seriously, that tire is a no brainer. Not so great for the rear, but just a performer out front.

I managed to damage one of my Ikon EXOs, but that was a piece of sharp metal hanging out on the trail and it ripped the sidewall open. Otherwise, the tires have shown no signs of wear!

I bought the EXC model for my SS that I am building, so I really can't wait to ride with those too..since its about 65g or so less per tire.

·
Big Boy
978 Posts
dubdryver said:
I have about 600mi on my Ikons (front/rear combo) and they work great for everything I have rode on.
how are the icons wearing after 600 miles?? I get annoyed with wear items that are expensive (schwalbe) so hopefully these will be the answer.

edit: just checked and they arent the bargain I had hoped for. But, if they wear well it may be worth it. The exo doesnt come in the more wear resistant compound which sucks for me.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
Very little wear if any...this includes the side knobbies which tend to go first. The compound is 3T which has 3 different durameters..I guess sorta like the Schwalbes but they definitely aren't as soft. When I got that cut on the tire, I replaced temporarily with a Specialized Fasttrack tubeless read, and it didn't have near the bite at the Ikons. I had about 600mi. on the tire before it got cut...it was just last week. So I can contest on wear in the front and rear. They have are the best tire I have used...PERIOD!

·
650b me
1,498 Posts
I like the idea of the Ikon/rear Ignitor/front combo. Would anyone run this combo on a rigid setup? Right now I have Weirwolf LT 2.55's front and rear on my Niner MCR with carbon fork, at the suggestion of my LBS.

·
Underskilled
4,816 Posts
Has anyone run these on a large rim?

I used to love the ignitor but since switching to 29er I have struggled.

I now run a 47mm wide rim, so do these tyre work on a fat rim like a Gordo.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.