Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a close call. What do you guys think?

I used a HighRoller DH 42a ST in the rear for 4 months and loved it. I'm now running a Minion DHR 42a ST.

The HighRoller seems to want to corner better, but the Minion holds a straight line like no other.

The HighRoller makes more noise, but seems to roll faster.

Both are 42 compound, but for some reason the HR is a tad softer. Did they change the 42 compound this year or what?

I'm pretty divided between the two tires. While I liked the cornering of the HR, it didn't like to hold a straight line very well over rough terrrain and mud. The Minion has "out of this world" line holding ability and won't budge when cornering or going straight. It makes for a super stable ride. It blasts through wet rock gardens at full speed without even flinching, I like that.

What do you guys think? Anyone tried the Minion DHF front tire? I'm thinking of giving it a whirl.

·
G3Riders
168 Posts
what conditions?

I think it's all depending on conditions where you ride.

High Roller = hardpack, rockfaces, street, no muddy here

Minion = good allrounder in wet climates, roots, slippery soil/rocks etc.

I rode both sets of tires (High Rollers F/R and Minions F/R) and Rollers are suitable for summer and dry/hardpack conditions, Minions are more versatile as they run really good in wet, muddy etc conditions.

I'd say if you live in sunny region like SoCal etc. I'd rather use High Rollers, if you're from Europe of some wet climate like B.C. or similiar - go with Minions.

·
Banned
1,608 Posts
How about the HR in front and Minion back...
I may try that this season.. but no sure if put the HightRollers or Mobsters in front but the Minion for sure are gonna be in be back.

·
G3Riders
168 Posts
VIA said:
I may try that this season.. but no sure if put the HightRollers or Mobsters in front but the Minion for sure are gonna be in be back.
Wouldn't make sense for myself (ride trails in Europe) but if you ride in Big Apple.... Well :)

Considering front tire is most important when going DOWN, I'd rather say Minion at front and HRoller rear. Or run both HRollers.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yoonior said:
Wouldn't make sense for myself (ride trails in Europe) but if you ride in Big Apple.... Well :)

Considering front tire is most important when going DOWN, I'd rather say Minion at front and HRoller rear. Or run both HRollers.
Hmmm, never thought of using a HR in the front. Anyone try this? I would imagine it would only be good in dry conditions due to the HR not having a a front tire specific tread pattern, it's more of a rear design tire.

BTW, the Minion comes in two models, front and rear. Anyone try the front specific tire? I'm thinking of using the rear in the front and putting my HR back onto the rear. The Rear Minion has such an incredible hold to the line you give it, it might make for an excellent front tire. It also seems to hold a line through a corner more efficiently than the HR, maybe due to the ramped side knobs?

I'm currently running a WTB Timberwolf 2.5 DH casing (actually more like a 2.65) in front and the MInion DHR in the rear. The TimberWolf is about the best front tire you can ride for here in Washington traction wise, it just really sucks that it's so damn slow! I'm going to give either the HR or the Minion a try up front and see if things don't speed up a bit. There's no point in NOT running a ramped knob tire up front, since it never needs to be pedaled. Am I going to notice much less rolling resistance with a ramped tire up front?

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
MicroHuck said:
Hmmm, never thought of using a HR in the front. Anyone try this? I would imagine it would only be good in dry conditions due to the HR not having a a front tire specific tread pattern, it's more of a rear design tire.

BTW, the Minion comes in two models, front and rear. Anyone try the front specific tire? I'm thinking of using the rear in the front and putting my HR back onto the rear. The Rear Minion has such an incredible hold to the line you give it, it might make for an excellent front tire. It also seems to hold a line through a corner more efficiently than the HR, maybe due to the ramped side knobs?

I'm currently running a WTB Timberwolf 2.5 DH casing (actually more like a 2.65) in front and the MInion DHR in the rear. The TimberWolf is about the best front tire you can ride for here in Washington traction wise, it just really sucks that it's so damn slow! I'm going to give either the HR or the Minion a try up front and see if things don't speed up a bit. There's no point in NOT running a ramped knob tire up front, since it never needs to be pedaled. Am I going to notice much less rolling resistance with a ramped tire up front?
Micro ever tried the Michelin DH comps 2.2's or 2.6's...very great tire and tubeless too

http://www.beyondbikes.com/BB/Pop/Pic.asp?i=/mmasc/Images/large/q/tr8212.jpg

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
VIA said:
No you would want it the opposite

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
MicroHuck said:
Nope, I'll check those out. I'm also going to check out the Kenda BlueGroove.
I hear the sidewalls a little soft on the Blues.....mich's are hella cool...besides the 2.2's are as wide as the 2.5 HighRollers

·
soulrider
21 Posts
Blue grooves

I have 3 bikes and all are running the kenda tires. I know you are asking about another brand, but look at the Kenda Blue Groove (front) and Nevengal (rear), Make sure you get the dh ones with they cap-ply side walls. I run 2.3 on my dj hard tail, 2.3 lites on my xc, and 2.5 on the Norco Shore. I run the pressure at 20-25 psi and never flat. I think they are the best tires out there, just make sure to get the dh ones, otherwise they flat fast.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
slotownfr said:
I have 3 bikes and all are running the kenda tires. I know you are asking about another brand, but look at the Kenda Blue Groove (front) and Nevengal (rear), Make sure you get the dh ones with they cap-ply side walls. I run 2.3 on my dj hard tail, 2.3 lites on my xc, and 2.5 on the Norco Shore. I run the pressure at 20-25 psi and never flat. I think they are the best tires out there, just make sure to get the dh ones, otherwise they flat fast.
Ok, the Kenda BlueGroove looks like the perfect front tire. Ramped knobs, square blocks, plus soft rubber sounds good to me.

How soft is the Stick-E rubber compared to Maxxis 42a Super Tacky? What is the durometer of it?

Which one would you say is the better front tire? Nevegal or BG?

The BG looks like it has the front tread pattern I've been looking for this whole time. If Stick-E rubber is as soft as 42a super tacky (or close) then I'm gonna swoop one of those up RIGHT AWAY.

I'm gonna try cutting the tread on my TimberWolf so to make each block ramped. My only complaint about the TW is that it rolls snail-slow, esp. on pavement. Othe than that it's the best tire available for runs where you see dry spots, mud holes, wet rocks, dry rocks, well pretty much everything in the same run (Typical WA conditions except for August).

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Master_Jako said:
I run a 2.3 minion in front and a 2.7 highroller in back...great combo for hardpack, street, loose stuff, and I have no problem in mud either...minion is a much better all round tire and is very predictable when braking...
You mean 2.7 in front and 2.3 in rear right? Which Minion do you have up front? The Front or rear version, DHF or DHR?

I never seen anyone ride a small tire up front and a big one out back. That's sounds funny. I've noticed that having a smaller tire in the rear makes for a quicker turning bike even though it slackens the head angle. I'm seriously considering a 2.7 up front and a 2.5 in the rear. I had a 2.5 front/2.3 rear combo before and absolutely loved how it tended to pull into corners quickly. I just wasn't too fond of having such a small rear tire (demolished my rim!!!).

So, anyone know how soft the Stick-E rubber is? They don't sell Kenda tires at any of the LBS around here, so I have to mail order on faith that it's as soft as the Maxxis 42a ST compound.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
MicroHuck said:
You mean 2.7 in front and 2.3 in rear right? Which Minion do you have up front? The Front or rear version, DHF or DHR?

I never seen anyone ride a small tire up front and a big one out back. That's sounds funny. I've noticed that having a smaller tire in the rear makes for a quicker turning bike even though it slackens the head angle. I'm seriously considering a 2.7 up front and a 2.5 in the rear. I had a 2.5 front/2.3 rear combo before and absolutely loved how it tended to pull into corners quickly. I just wasn't too fond of having such a small rear tire (demolished my rim!!!).

So, anyone know how soft the Stick-E rubber is? They don't sell Kenda tires at any of the LBS around here, so I have to mail order on faith that it's as soft as the Maxxis 42a ST compound.
nah, a 60 duro 2.3 minion DHF in the front and a 50 duro 2.7 high roller in the back...bit wierd but works great...I have tried other tires... :rolleyes: ...not to wierd running smaller in front then the back...I got the minion for free, but since I have a 26 front wheel, and a 24 in back, I could only mount it on the front...turned out to work very well. I Would pefer a thicker tire in front though and I'll be getting a 2.7 minion next for the front.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.