Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Scalpel 2000 I ordered came with Maxxis High roller 2.35 tires on it. I haven't got the bike yet or test ridden it. The Dealer said he would swap out the tires for something else if I wished. I told him I'd probably keep them; they do look cool on it, but they seem like waay too much tire for this bike. Any opinions here to what I should do?

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
lewdj said:
The new Scalpel 2000 I ordered came with Maxxis High roller 2.35 tires on it. I haven't got the bike yet or test ridden it. The Dealer said he would swap out the tires for something else if I wished. I told him I'd probably keep them; they do look cool on it, but they seem like waay too much tire for this bike. Any opinions here to what I should do?
Don't keep them, I just tried them yesterday on my Prophet and they are out of place on the Prophet and will be even more out of place on a Scalpel. They are freeride tires, really heavy and really slow rolling. Do the switch. You'll be faster and will easily save a pound or two.

·
Registered
6 Posts
lewdj said:
Change them . They came on my Prophet 1000 and they are a good tire for down hill or freeride but for the kind of riding that I do they really are no good. If you are a cross country rider they feel like a lead weight is attached to the bike. Just put Hutchinson Spiders 2.1 on "WOW" I can climb again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not sure, but...

I think Cannondale has an uncle that works at Maxxis as these tires are showing up on every model. I bought a leftover '04 1FG last Fall and it had the High Rollers and tubes that would fit in a car tire. Each tire weighed 900 grams so replacing them and the tubes I reduced each wheel by 363 grams or 726 grams total. Talk about instant diet!

You won't ever miss these tires on your new Scalpel...and if you do, you can have mine, they're hanging in the garage :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
Doesn't sound like either you or lewdj want these tires, so I thought I'd offer to help clear up some of the clutter around your bike garage! I'd be happy to pay for shipping, natch.
They're not terrible tires...just not good for the type of riding I do. If you ride downhill or in snow, etc, you might like the extra weight and heavy sidewalls, but they serve no purpose on the 1FG or F2000SL I mainly ride.

If you provide your address I'll send them out. If you would rather email me your info let me know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
joeblackmtb said:
They're not terrible tires...just not good for the type of riding I do. If you ride downhill or in snow, etc, you might like the extra weight and heavy sidewalls, but they serve no purpose on the 1FG or F2000SL I mainly ride.

If you provide your address I'll send them out. If you would rather email me your info let me know.
I decided to take the bike with these tires, I didn't like them at all. I don't know if they'll even roll down a freakin' hill. It's ridiculous that Cannondale would put these tires on a X-C racing bike. I was very disappointed with the first ride, but I figured it must be the tires after reading your comments. I got a new set of Conti' Explorer Pro-tections. I'm running them tubless with Stan's. UNBELIEVABLE!! I just hope they'll hold up this way. I've been running Conti's with tubes for three years and I love them. The only time I didn't like them was at 24 Hrs. of Moab. No good in the sand, but I had zero flats. I plan on riding that again this year with my new Scalpel. Any tire suggestions, tube, or tubeless?

I'd get rid of the tires, but I don't want to give them away.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
zenmonkey said:
I actually like the maxxis for the rear in certain conditions but not the front, if you don't want them just ebay them....
The reason I kept them is, I was thinking they might work good in the sand at Moab. There's also plenty of climbing on that course too, and for that these tires suck. I still might use them for certain rides on my Jekyll. Now that I have a Scalpel I plan on using the Jekyll only for rough conditions.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
The 1.95 High Roller is pretty nice. It only gets to be a drag on wet roots, but I think it corners pretty well and it rolls very, very fast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.