Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently running a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 front & a Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 rear. Thinking of switching over to a Maxxis High Roller 2 for the front at least, possibly the rear as well. I ride in typical Northeast conditions; rocks, roots, loose over hardpack & everything in between. Good idea? Thoughts?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'd guess you'll like it more than a Nevegal in every way. It's a really nice all around tire. May not be very nice having the HD in the rear though. 2.35 HD is much larger/higher volume than a 2.3HR and may feel unbalanced. HD front and HR rear may be better or HR/HR.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My recent experience: started running a Hutchinson Barracuda a couple years ago up front and it's been one of my favorites. I got a new wheelset in the fall and figured I'd try some new/lighter tires. Went for the HD up front. Ran it for a couple of months and then pulled it off. It never gave me the great feeling the Hutch did. Found a HR2 3C and the first ride the feeling I like was back. I'd say it just gave me a more precise steering feel that gives me confidence. Something similar in those 2 tires is the close spacing of the side knobs that the HD doesn't quite have. I actually just put the HD on the rear but I only have a couple of rides like that. So far so good.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I also have a friend that just put a HR2 on the front of his. He's been running Ardent f/r. First ride for him will be tomorrow. I'm guessing he'll like it. I'll report back.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The more aggressively you ride the better the HR2 is as a front atire. If you really want lots of cornering traction then the 2.4 has more than the 2.3. On my 150mm bike I run a 2.4 HR2 3C EXO on front and a 2.3 DHR2 3C EXO on the rear. I feel the DHR2 rolls a bit better and lasts longer under hard braking.

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
As has been said HR are small for their size, especially compared to Shwalbe tyres.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
HR2 is a fantastic tyre that can work in all conditions and terrain, excels when things get wet and or really loose, not sure I would run one out back unless there was serious need for traction, but if you already run a HD in back, then maybe yes. I'd go 3C upfront and dual compound in the back to help with rolling.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The more aggressively you ride the better the HR2 is as a front atire. If you really want lots of cornering traction then the 2.4 has more than the 2.3. On my 150mm bike I run a 2.4 HR2 3C EXO on front and a 2.3 DHR2 3C EXO on the rear. I feel the DHR2 rolls a bit better and lasts longer under hard braking.
Are you comparing the "2.3 DHR2 rolls better" to the Rolling resistance 2.4 HR2? Have you run F/R 2.4 HR2's? I only ask because I run the 2.4 HR2 3C Exo up front and currently 2.4 Ardent EXO rear and would like a little more rear grip, particularly while braking. However, I do not want to go backwards regarding rolling resistance. I suppose the 2.3DHR2 may be similiar to the larger 2.4 Ardent regarding rolling resistance??

·
Registered
5 Posts
What's your preference high roller vs high roller 2? I always see people running the hr2's but I'm not sure what one is better for loose over hard.

I also hear that the hr has a sketchy way of hooking up but once it does it is better than the hr2.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
What's your preference high roller vs high roller 2? I always see people running the hr2's but I'm not sure what one is better for loose over hard.

I also hear that the hr has a sketchy way of hooking up but once it does it is better than the hr2.
Haven't ridden the original but I've read all that too. Seems like it would be your preference for handling characteristics.

I didn't like the hr2 up front (great in the rear)... DHF for the win.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I didn't like the hr2 up front (great in the rear)... DHF for the win.
+1. The DHF gives me more confidence than a HR2.

I found the HR2 to be much less supple than a Hans Dampf. At the same pressure, it produced a harsh ride, while the HD seemed to absorb little stuff much better. Also the trailstar compound HD is a much grippier tire on wet roots and rock, as long as there's no thick mud that clogs it up.

I still have to try it myself, but the DHR2 seems like a better front tire than the HR2. It has the sturdier side knobs of the DHF and centre knobs that look like they have supreme braking traction.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Since my calipers are handy:

HD 2.35 casing: 2.32 tread: 2.46
HR2 2.3 casing: 2.18 tread: 2.30
Measured on 21mm internal rim.
Assuming you still have the HR2 2.3 and it's not completely worn out, can you measure the HEIGHT of the tire, from rim to top of knobs?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
One more quick question - real world usage, 3C vs dual compound, which wears better on mix of rock, hardpack and sandy/gravely terrain? Is the grip advantage of 3C worth it for a front tire?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the replies! I thought this page would be dead.

My current setup is hans front nevegal rear (tubes). Haven't had any actual problems with this setup traction wise (nevegal has flimsy sidewalls) but I haven't really pushed the tires in the corners. Also the hd has strong sidewalls I.M.O. I am currently running an average of 23 psi (I'm 145 pounds) without any pinch flats. I think this is due to how tall the tire is but for the tire dampening and pinch flat resistance you loose clearance and the hd does like to pick up rocks.

As long as the next tire I get (hr1) brakes as well as the hd and corners better, I will be very happy with it.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'm reading it here and have read it on other sites and reviews, but have personally found it to be an extremely fantastic tyre, that gives immense confidence, especially when things get wet or really loose. I've run the single compound when I first tested it and since a Dual compound and all have been fantastic for me. If I could only have one tyre to choose from going someplace I wasn't sure what the terrain would be like, I'd choose the HR2 any day, hands down. Sure on the rear it can get a bit drifty, but in a controlled way, at least to me and I can easily control the drift, break it loose whenever I want. I'm sure maybe the DHF would give more traction, but at over 1/2-3/4 lb more weight. Would like to try a DHR2 though, have seen some mods for it and it does look promising and weighs less than the HR2.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Between HR2 and DHF, both 26x2.3 EXO TR Dual compound, which is larger/high volume?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Between HR2 and DHF, both 26x2.3 EXO TR Dual compound, which is larger/high volume?
I believe the hr2 is larger volume based off what I read. I haven't had any tires from maxxis but I've read that the minion dhf 2.35 single ply measures between 2.25-2.1.

·
Slower But Faster
627 Posts
There will be next to nothing in it as they are both built on the same casing. The 2.35 ( and 2.5) Minion is the old style "optimistic" Maxxis sizing and closer to a 2.2 in most other brands.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts