Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the forecaster 29 x 2.6 owners, I am wondering if this tire would be ok with a 27mm (internal dimension) wheel.

Maxxis says it is suited for 30-35mm rims, but is it internal or external?

·
Registered
14,910 Posts
Internal. A skinnier rim will work at a higher pressure with corresponding less performance because you won't get as big a footprint at the contact patch. Some higher speeds and rocky terrains may need the higher psi.

·
Moodle
22 Posts
Internal. A skinnier rim will work at a higher pressure with corresponding less performance because you won't get as big a footprint at the contact patch. Some higher speeds and rocky terrains may need the higher psi.
I run Rekons 2.6 on 25mm internalrim size and it works well, but I use higher pressure 21/23 front vs rear. I don't see a problem.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
IMO it will work "OK" at best. The benefit of a 2.6 is the lower psi you can run, but you need a wider rim to give sidewall support at lower psi.

I've found, in general, the fatter the tire, the lower the psi, the relatively wider rim you need for the tire. For example, that is why we use to be able to run 2.3" tires at high pressures just fine on i29 rims.

All that said, if you already have the tire and rim go for it. But if you don't have the tire I'd say you'd be better off with a 2.5 or 2.3 tire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.