Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am <135lbs, race XC. Just bought some crossmax SLs.

Am looking to get maxxis crossmark for them. Folks have suggested putting the regular (non-LUST) tires on. If I do this, do I want the eXCeption compound or the regular?

How durable is the eXCeption? I don't ride that many miles, less than 600 a year, I would say, on the mtb. (That's sad, I know, but I just can't take the beating.)

I have a backup wheelset now (non-UST) I could use to save my race tires but I'd rather just race what I ride all the time, unless that's totally stupid. Advice is appreciated, I am a novice (if that isn't obvious already).

·
Registered
39 Posts
eXCeption Differences

For the type of use you are looking for, I would say that the eXCeption is the way to go. The softer compound will offer better traction and you will save 40g per tire. Also, the eXCeption is a 120 tpi, so it will be a more supple casing that will provide a better feel and better traction. The only trade-off is wear time since the softer compound won't last as long, but I don't find that there is a very drastic difference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have used the Maxxis Mimo Exception-good tire but I found that accidental rear skids with discs would quickly wear the nubs off the tire.The 120 tpi casing rides very well-plusher at the same inflation as other tires I have used.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
KnobbyToes said:
I am <135lbs, race XC. Just bought some crossmax SLs.

Am looking to get maxxis crossmark for them. Folks have suggested putting the regular (non-LUST) tires on. If I do this, do I want the eXCeption compound or the regular?

How durable is the eXCeption? I don't ride that many miles, less than 600 a year, I would say, on the mtb. (That's sad, I know, but I just can't take the beating.)

I have a backup wheelset now (non-UST) I could use to save my race tires but I'd rather just race what I ride all the time, unless that's totally stupid. Advice is appreciated, I am a novice (if that isn't obvious already).
If you want to run tubeless I would use the LUST version.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Exception compound = fast wear

The Maxxis exception compound, on paper, isn't that soft a compound. The durometer is 62a (the lower the number, the softer the rubber). In comparison, Kenda uses 60a down the center and 50a on the transition and cornering knobs of their popular Nevegals. WTB's Weirwolf, a great tire in my opinion, uses 60a on their DNA rubber compound.

I haven't encountered wear issues on the Nevegals or the Weirwolf tires. HOWEVER, when I tried the Maxxis ADvantage tires in the exception compound, after one (admitedly rocky) ride, there was very noticeable wear on the center knobs of the rear tire. The center knobs were starting to crumble, and some of the "wings" between the center knobs were actually torn. I got rid of those tires at that point and swore not to buy another Maxxis product again.

So, if you're going to use the same tires for racing and training, the exception compound may not be such a great idea. If possible, you may want to put the softer compound on the front where wear isn't such a factor and extra grip would be most beneficial and put the standard compound on the rear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally Posted by LMN
Yes, but why?
I always run with tubes, I bought it by mistake on Ebay. I have been trying to fit it on my Eason XC two wheelset and it doesn't seem to fit properly. When I spin the wheel there is a bump on it, it doesn't spin evenly. What would I need to be able to run the Easton XC two tubeless, I have been thinking about experimenting with tubeless but I can't find any info on if I can do it on my wheelset.

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
photoman said:
I always run with tubes, I bought it by mistake on Ebay. I have been trying to fit it on my Eason XC two wheelset and it doesn't seem to fit properly. When I spin the wheel there is a bump on it, it doesn't spin evenly. What would I need to be able to run the Easton XC two tubeless, I have been thinking about experimenting with tubeless but I can't find any info on if I can do it on my wheelset.
Typically UST tires are harder to seat. If you in flate the tire to 50-55 psi it should "pop" into position. Or alternatively lube the bead with soap and water and it will seat at a lower pressure.

A stans rim strip should allow you to make your rims UST compatable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
LMN said:
Typically UST tires are harder to seat. If you in flate the tire to 50-55 psi it should "pop" into position. Or alternatively lube the bead with soap and water and it will seat at a lower pressure.

A stans rim strip should allow you to make your rims UST compatable.
Ok, thx I will give it a try.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,450 Posts
shiggy said:
If you want to run tubeless I would use the LUST version.
+1

The sidewall on the Exception tyres is very thin and will take a lot of sealing - lots of pinholes and quite porous.

Wear wise, they are fine but if you ride in an area with sharp rocks be aware that the thin sidewalls are very susceptible to cuts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.