Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a new freeride bike built up a few months ago and it was spec'd with a 60 durometer High Roller on the front and a 60 durometer Mobster on the rear. Just the other day I decided to check to see what durometer the tires actually are (not that I have any reason to doubt the LBS), but I can't find anywhere on the tire that actually states this info (maybe I need glasses?)

I have seen high rollers and mobsters with a small red pinstripe sidewall, whereas mine are all black- maybe this how to differentiate the different durometer tires, or is this a case of old style/new style, or something completely different unrelated?

Anyway, if someone can shed some light on how to figure out what durometer Maxxis tires are I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For anyone that cares...

I sent an email to yesterday and received a reply this morning- the durometer is printed on the inside of the tire in white lettering. Guess I'll have to take my tires off to see what they are- hmm, maybe I don't care so much anymore...

·
Registered
119 Posts
mobsters say......

of course on the graphic side of the tires. mine say maxxpro then a red square with 50a on my front and 60a on my rear then an exxon label. and of course the wonderfully warbled orange stripe! i just had too have it!!! i bought mine for just about the same reasons, knock around guys um er tires......also i thought i`d feel more drag with these tires ( wanted this for the workout aspect ), but they roll surprisingly well for such big things. 2.7 front and 2.5 rear. even on pavement......lol.......this things my tank. roll over baby.......................................................................ghost

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GhstRydrX said:
mine say maxxpro then a red square with 50a on my front and 60a on my rear then an exxon label. and of course the wonderfully warbled orange stripe!
Ah, so you have the red/orange stripe ones... I have no stripe (all black) with the "maxxis.com" on the side and then the little high roller (dice) and mobster logo (ganster skull/tommy gun) on them. Oddly enough no durometer reading on them. Direct from the horses mouth (maxxis rep) says it's on the inside of the tire- maybe OEM Maxxis tires don't have the cool stripe or the durometer readings on the outside...

Yeah, after going from 2.1s on my XC bike to 2.5s on my new freeride, I'm surprised how fast the tires are too. Though when I ride this bike on the street it hums like a 4x4 on 44"s...

·
Registered
68 Posts
GhstRydrX said:
of course on the graphic side of the tires. mine say maxxpro then a red square with 50a on my front and 60a on my rear then an exxon label. and of course the wonderfully warbled orange stripe! i just had too have it!!! i bought mine for just about the same reasons, knock around guys um er tires......also i thought i`d feel more drag with these tires ( wanted this for the workout aspect ), but they roll surprisingly well for such big things. 2.7 front and 2.5 rear. even on pavement......lol.......this things my tank. roll over baby.......................................................................ghost
It's written on the outside see selective highlights above. Maxxis also has names for their tyres: 60a is the standard, 50a is MaxxPro, 42a is Super Tacky and 40a is Slow Reeasy.

I have been thinking about getting a durometer (the measuring tool) to see how closly the manufactures stick to their claims - and how it changes over time.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
ryanc44 said:
maybe OEM Maxxis tires don't have the cool stripe or the durometer readings on the outside...
From the FAQ section at maxxis.com:

Why do some of your tires have orange stripes and some do not?

The orange stripe on the sidewall of our tires is a Maxxis trademark; until two years ago all production tires had the orange stripe. When the Super Tacky, Slow Reezay and eXCeption compounds were designed, the orange stripe could not be put on the sidewall due to the softness of the compounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.