Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone experiencing an excessive amount of punctures?

I‘ve had three in six weeks on two different trails. Rear tire.

Right now I’m six weeks in on this tire for about 35 rides on technical New England single track.

Stans has sealed all three cuts/slices/punctures. I‘m thinking of adding some glitter to the mixture, not sure. I do like the tire. I do run my rear tire a little high in pressure...maybe 27-28. I’m heavy and I’m more concerned with damaging the rim. I weight about 240.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Yes. I've had several of them, mostly on the rear, and have had more punctures in them by far than any other tire I've ever run. I thought it was only coincidence till it kept happening. Mostly EXO, have replaced a couple with EXO+ to see if that helps.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is with EXO?

I feel that at 240lbs you almost need DD type casings... exceptions being riding groomed trails and/or having an ultra smooth riding style.
EXO TR

Now, I don’t know if I mentioned this or not, but in my ten years of riding I haven’t really gotten much more than a few puncture flats a year. And I’m coming off a Maxxis Ardent Race EXO TR and didn’t experience one single flat on the same exact trails.

I do like this Dissector tire. Got to be honest, I don’t know what a DD casing is...I’ll have to look that up.

What I did today was I lowered my pressure a little bit (just a little because I don’t want to destroy my rim) and took it on a 2 hour very chunky single track ride. Everything seemed fine...I do notice I’m more paranoid with it. I’ll keep an eye on it. I guess at some point I’ll have to add a tube if this keeps up - which isn’t exactly the end of the world - I’ve rid many miles with tubes...and quite honestly I prefer the lack of care/maintenance, but they’re heavier and if I do get a pinch flat out there, it’s a long job out of the woods. Lol

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. I've had several of them, mostly on the rear, and have had more punctures in them by far than any other tire I've ever run. I thought it was only coincidence till it kept happening. Mostly EXO, have replaced a couple with EXO+ to see if that helps.
Ok, maybe it isn’t just me then?

Looking at the treads on the tires, it does seem that there is more space in between the knobs. Maybe I’m wrong on that but it looks like there’s more “smooth” parts of the tire that could possibly come in contact with a rock edge or whatever. Maybe.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I ride aggressively weigh 175 and always ride DD in the rear. Rode Northstar Bike park all summer on a Dissector rear with no issues.

DD is Maxxis Double Down casing and has much more flat and puncture protection.
‘From easiest to puncture to most protected.
EXO - lightest weight but pretty easy to puncture
EXO+
DD - double down great for a rear tire
DH - downhill tire. Very heavy but great for maximum protection.

DD should help

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, good to know fellas. Next tire will be DD.

For right now I’ll be adding glitter to my sealant for a few weeks. See if that helps. And will be expecting more puncture flats. Then I’ll switch to a tube, and then a new tire.

Tire is only 6 weeks old, but I do have a lot of rides in on it now (36 with a big one coming today). Tons of tread left...want to get the most out of it before I toss it away.

Thanks for the help.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,705 Posts
Alright, good to know fellas. Next tire will be DD.

For right now I’ll be adding glitter to my sealant for a few weeks. See if that helps. And will be expecting more puncture flats. Then I’ll switch to a tube, and then a new tire.

Tire is only 6 weeks old, but I do have a lot of rides in on it now (36 with a big one coming today). Tons of tread left...want to get the most out of it before I toss it away.

Thanks for the help.
Look at the respective weights. For my money, EXO+ gets the nod. But I am 185 plus gear. Not 240.

I started this season on a DD MaxxGrip Assegai/DD MaxxTerra DHR2 combo. I was shocked at the good, but the weight… I didn’t appreciate how a more robust casing could translate into a more solid ride experience. The damping was incredible. No pinging off anything, up, down and in between. Those tires begged to be pointed towards the gnar.

But…the weight…

I carefully checked out weights of DD vs EXO+ vs EXO, and saw that the jump from EXO to EXO+ came at a very small cost weight wise.

I have now been riding an EXO+ MaxxGrip Assegai/EXO+ MaxxTerra Dissector combo for the last 2/3 of this season. Those tires amassed a lot of mileage on them, with no issues. There was a noticeable difference climbing, but also on the downs. The EXO+ combo took materially less energy to ride, but were not nearly as satisfying in ride quality (i.e.; I was less gassed at the summit for the blast down, but it was not the same bada$$ “bring it” mentality, as with the DDs).

If you can rock the DDs, then go for it. For me though, with a ride profile for almost every ride of up up up, down down down, I like having a bit more gas in the tank at the summit, so I can toss my bike around on the downs like a rag doll.

I still dream about the damping, and bada$$ bring it attitude of those DDs though. I may start next season off with them again, if I am feeling strong.

As for sharp rocky terrain, that’s what I ride. I will throw dry and rooty into the description as well.
Tire Bicycle Wheel Cloud Bicycle wheel
Bicycle Tire Wheel Cloud Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Plant Tree Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Wood

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Are the cuts you're getting in the sidewall or the tread/contact patch? If it's tread, a DD might not help that much.

Out of probably a couple dozen of the same EXO DHR2 DC, I've definitely run across some that were extremely underweight, and some have had specific areas of tread show damage faster then normal as if the durometer/layup was off... among other anomalies. It seems there is a fair amount of manufacturing variance.

Might apply here.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are the cuts you're getting in the sidewall or the tread/contact patch? If it's tread, a DD might not help that much.

Out of probably a couple dozen of the same EXO DHR2 DC, I've definitely run across some that were extremely underweight, and some have had specific areas of tread show damage faster then normal as if the durometer/layup was off... among other anomalies. It seems there is a fair amount of manufacturing variance.

Might apply here.
It’s definitely tread area. 2-3 punctures in three weeks.

my last puncture, I’m not sure if it’s a new one or an old one reopening up. Once they’ve kind of sealed up it’s hard for me to notice them.

But nothing on the sidewalls. And I did run a EXO tire before this one without issue.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Look at the respective weights. For my money, EXO+ gets the nod. But I am 185 plus gear. Not 240.

I started this season on a DD MaxxGrip Assegai/DD MaxxTerra DHR2 combo. I was shocked at the good, but the weight… I didn’t appreciate how a more robust casing could translate into a more solid ride experience. The damping was incredible. No pinging off anything, up, down and in between. Those tires begged to be pointed towards the gnar.

But…the weight…

I carefully checked out weights of DD vs EXO+ vs EXO, and saw that the jump from EXO to EXO+ came at a very small cost weight wise.

I have now been riding an EXO+ MaxxGrip Assegai/EXO+ MaxxTerra Dissector combo for the last 2/3 of this season. Those tires amassed a lot of mileage on them, with no issues. There was a noticeable difference climbing, but also on the downs. The EXO+ combo took materially less energy to ride, but were not nearly as satisfying in ride quality (i.e.; I was less gassed at the summit for the blast down, but it was not the same bada$$ “bring it” mentality, as with the DDs).

If you can rock the DDs, then go for it. For me though, with a ride profile for almost every ride of up up up, down down down, I like having a bit more gas in the tank at the summit, so I can toss my bike around on the downs like a rag doll.

I still dream about the damping, and bada$$ bring it attitude of those DDs though. I may start next season off with them again, if I am feeling strong.

As for sharp rocky terrain, that’s what I ride. I will throw dry and rooty into the description as well.
View attachment 1951798 View attachment 1951799 View attachment 1951800
Your type of terrain looks pretty similar to mine, except where I’m riding there isn’t mountains like that unless I head up to the white mountain area.

EXO plus? Funny, when researching DD tires today EXO plus did come up.

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,705 Posts
Your type of terrain looks pretty similar to mine, except where I’m riding there isn’t mountains like that unless I head up to the white mountain area.

EXO plus? Funny, when researching DD tires today EXO plus did come up.
If you can manhandle the DDs while trail riding, get them. They made my suspension feel sublime. The issue is whether you will pay too much of a cost on weight.

I often have to climb for up to 2 hours with little to no relief. That said, I am on the edge. Either the DD or EXO+ will work for me. Pros and cons to each.

Hopefully this winter I can gain a little strength fat biking and Zwifting, and drop 5 pounds (although I don’t really have any excess baggage to lose, and winter is not a good time for me to expect to lose weight).

TL; DR version: Go for the DDs if you think you can handle the weight. They will reward you with total bada$$ery.

·
Registered
462 Posts
How did the EXO+ work? And old or new model EXO+?
My EXO Dissector sidewall cut after 2 rides, but I had another XC tire the Bontrager XR4 team issue cut on the same XC trail.
I ride MAXXIS DD High Roller 2 and DHF DD now. No problems yet.
I only weigh 172 pounds and ride XC trails mostly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts