Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 721 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
A lot of talk on here about Rekon and Aggressor comparing it to the Dissector. Where does the Forekaster fall in there?

Looking for a perfect Utah (dry/loose) setup, thinking DHRII up front on 35 internal. Trying to pan out the rear.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
The Forekaster is an aggressive XC tire. The Dissector is probably going to be slower rolling than all three of those tire (it's a DH tread pattern). It might be close enough to the Aggressor to compete with it but the Rekon and Forekaster will roll much faster and have less traction.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Looks like a fun tire. Maybe if my trail boss doesn't work out in the rear, I'll give it a try in a 2.4. Available in Maxx Terra or Maxx Grip as well for those of you who like the super soft compound in the rear.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The Forekaster is an aggressive XC tire. The Dissector is probably going to be slower rolling than all three of those tire (it's a DH tread pattern). It might be close enough to the Aggressor to compete with it but the Rekon and Forekaster will roll much faster and have less traction.
How’s the Aggressor for a rear? Too slow? How does a Rekon hood up? I’m running an XR2 currently. Need more bite. Cornering and braking traction.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just got my tires today. Ordered 2 of the EXO versions and a few other tires to pair it with. My first impression is it's very light. Compared to the Assegai 2.5, DHR2 2.4 and 2.3, Aggressor 2.3, DHF 2.3 and 2.5, all in EXO casing, it's nearly 100 grams lighter than the next lightest. My experience is that almost every Maxxis tire I've ever put on a scale is 25-100 grams heavier than advertised. The Assegai I got today is listed at 1075 and weighed 1169. Not the Dissector though. Weight was 855 grams, so basically spot on (861 listed). The sidewalls feel thinner than all of them as well. Very pliable, but maybe it's just because of how fresh it is. I never get flats, hence all the EXO casing tires, but I would expect this tire to be great paired with Cush Core. I wont get a chance to ride it until Saturday, but I'm going to pair it with a 2.5 Assegai 3C EXO on my Hightower LT. I'm in Arizona, so very dusty loose over hard, very rocky and ledgey. I'll post an update once I mount it up and get some measurements on my I30 Nobl wheels. All signs point to this being perfect for a rear trail tire.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
A think a vs aggressor review would be awesome. The thin sidewalk & exo weight doesn't sound promising though. The 2.3 exo aggressor was already squirmy on a 30mm rim. Hopefully the WT helps in that regard with width vs height. Looking forward to your thoughts Nismomike

·
Registered
424 Posts
Maxxis commented on another forum when asked the difference between the Dissector and Aggressor
"Better braking in the loose and will clear better"
This is good news for me, as I bounce back and forth between the DHR2 and Aggressor 2.3. An Aggressor with better braking and just a bit more volume is exactly what I'm looking for. My Hightower LT rubs too much with the 2.5 Aggressor.
Now if we can get it in Maxx Terra DD and the Assegai in EXO+ Maxx Grip.

It was actually me who asked that question on Vital. As soon as I read the profile and saw the tread, I immediately saw a potential overlap with the Aggressor, as many on this forum has.

Personally, if it's basically an Aggressor with better braking then count me in.

·
change is good
3,117 Posts
So Ardent EXO casing? Which for its weight is pretty tough. But the Ardent felt a little wooden when inflated to pressures to prevent pinch flats in AZ. Could the DC version come in heavier? I finally put a SE4 2.4 that I had lying around on the rear of my Switchblade. I’m not crushing double black. Fast wear and $75 a pop made hesitate to use it except as a vacation tire. But it’s a sweet fast trail tire compared to my Aggressor 2.5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
212 Posts
A think a vs aggressor review would be awesome. The thin sidewalk & exo weight doesn't sound promising though. The 2.3 exo aggressor was already squirmy on a 30mm rim. Hopefully the WT helps in that regard with width vs height. Looking forward to your thoughts Nismomike
Judging by most of the Maxxis tires I run, the weight difference from EXO to EXO+ is about 50-60 grams and EXO to DD is about 150-200 grams. So a DD Dissector may end up being right at 1000+/-. I could definitely see it being lighter than a 2.3 Aggressor DD. That would be awesome. Even though I dont have issues with flats, I would run a DD if it was decent weight.

·
Registered
212 Posts
So Ardent EXO casing? Which for its weight is pretty tough. But the Ardent felt a little wooden when inflated to pressures to prevent pinch flats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I have an old Ardent 2.4 EXO with about 20 miles on it and the Dissector is definitely thicker. I'd say it's in between Ardent and Minion.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
...Just got my tires today....
Dang now I really want to check one of these out, I still can't believe nobody has them in stock and have a feeling it might be awhile before I can actually get one.

I am curious too how it compares to the 2.4 dhr2 (rolling, cornering, etc.) also as I'd be swapping my dhr2 for one of these.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think that the light weight EXO version will work well for some folks. I have been using a Bontrager 29 x 2.4 XR4, which has a similar weight, as a rear tire in Tahoe chunk for a few years now and have never had an issues with flats or sidewall cuts. I weigh about 180 lbs and am a moderately aggressive rider except when it comes to big air--I don't do big air (I am getting older and have broken too many bones). I have been typically running 24 psi (according to my AccuGage) in the rear (on 30 mm internal width rims). An EXO tire is probably not the right tire for many folks based on their riding style and riding surface (it would not be my first choice for Downieville or any place with lots of sharp shale or volcanics), but this tire might be an excellent option for many folks. I may give this tire a whirl as a front and/or rear tire on my Ripley v4 and a rear tire on my Canfield Riot (the e13 TRS+ and DHF 2.5 EXO have been my front tires of choice for the Riot---but I will probably give the Assegai a whirl at some point) .

·
Registered
212 Posts
For anyone curious, I measured sidewall thickness in multiple places of an Assegai 2.5 3C EXO and it was
.0391"
Then an Aggressor 2.3 DD and got
.0905"
The Dissector 2.4 3C EXO was
.0358"
They were very consistent all the way around both sides. +/- .0005
Edit, also checked DHF 2.5 3C EXO+
.0443"

·
Registered
160 Posts
Cool! Wish you had any variety or EXO+ to measure like that.

I measured a 29x2.4 Rekon MaxxTerra EXO on my scale at 869g yesterday while swapping on a 1059g DHR2 EXO+. That Dissector is mighty light, i never trusted the Rekon as a rear tire in the terrain I ride so I'll wait for a heavier duty Dissector.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Cool! Wish you had any variety or EXO+ to measure like that.

I measured a 29x2.4 Rekon MaxxTerra EXO on my scale at 869g yesterday while swapping on a 1059g DHR2 EXO+. That Dissector is mighty light, i never trusted the Rekon as a rear tire in the terrain I ride so I'll wait for a heavier duty Dissector.
I know it doesn't really tell the full story of puncture protection, but as a point of reference its helpful. I'm curious to check an EXO+ as well. I knew the DD seemed much thicker than regular EXO, but 2.5 times thicker suprised me.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I know it doesn't really tell the full story of puncture protection, but as a point of reference its helpful. I'm curious to check an EXO+ as well. I knew the DD seemed much thicker than regular EXO, but 2.5 times thicker suprised me.

Absolutely helpful, thank you for sharing your findings now and in the future.

41 - 60 of 721 Posts