350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Perpetual Hack
2,188 Posts
Looks like Maxxis launched a new tire today, the Dissector:

https://reviews.mtbr.com/maxxis-dissector-tire-price-weight-details

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/maxxis-dissector-first-look-2019.html

The Maxxis website is bare on details so far, but I'm curious how this would work on the back of my bike with a 2.4 DHR2 up front. I'm currently running 2.4 3C DHR2 front and rear and am happy with the combo, but this might be a tire to bridge the gap between the 2.5 Aggressor and 2.4 Rekon.
That is what I'm thinking.
I don't like the Aggressor, and the Rekon currently on the back while fast as hell, also can't keep up with the DHR2 up front on forest litter like pine straw and leaves.

On the big bike, the Ass-guy and DHR2 are working just fine.

So, yup, interested in hearing a bit more.

·
Registered
187 Posts
That is what I'm thinking.
I don't like the Aggressor, and the Rekon currently on the back while fast as hell, also can't keep up with the DHR2 up front on forest litter like pine straw and leaves.

On the big bike, the Ass-guy and DHR2 are working just fine.

So, yup, interested in hearing a bit more.
Do you mind to tell my why you dont like the agressor? I am looking at a tire to replace my forekaster, that will be paired with a dhf.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
It seems like this tire was designed for the higher speed, less technical, dry bike park style tracks. A lot riders used dual DHR2's in those conditions and they probably wanted something even faster rolling in the rear.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I am definitely interested in trying the Dissector as a rear tire. I really like the 29 x 2.4 Bontrager XR4 that I use on my Canfield Riot and Ibis Ripley--and this "appears" to be a similar tire with potentially some additional cornering prowess. I just hope that it runs true to size.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Not a big fan of the DHR. Wears much too quickly. Tore through one in a month. This might be a better tire than the DHR and a good match to the DHF. I'm still testing the DHF. Just got one even though it has been around for a decade. Lol. DHF is a really solid tire though. Reminds me of a Nevegal.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
I am definitely interested in trying the Dissector as a rear tire. I really like the 29 x 2.4 Bontrager XR4 that I use on my Canfield Riot and Ibis Ripley--and this "appears" to be a similar tire with potentially some additional cornering prowess. I just hope that it runs true to size.
You may want to try the SE4. The Dissector resembles the SE4 based on photos

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
The Dissector looks ideal for a front rough trail tire to me. I don't like tires that aggressive in the rear cause they just don't roll very well.

Will be the next new one I try although I'm pretty stocked up at the moment.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Do you mind to tell my why you dont like the agressor? I am looking at a tire to replace my forekaster, that will be paired with a dhf.
For the right conditions (dry and/ or rocky) the Aggressor is a sick tire. The tread is packed a bit too tight for mud and pine needles type riding though.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
It seems like this tire was designed for the higher speed, less technical, dry bike park style tracks. A lot riders used dual DHR2's in those conditions and they probably wanted something even faster rolling in the rear.
That's an odd assumption from my perspective. Dry, rocky, loose, ruf as fuk is what I'd say that knobby ass tire was designed for. Too 'dirt bike' for a rear for my application but going by looks it's perfect as a front.

It would be fun to time these guys running these really grippy (i.e. Assegai) tires front and rear on their trail bikes vs. some well chosen trail tires. I'd bet they are 20% slower overall cause the climbs, and barely 1% faster on the descents due to the aggro tires. That's what happened to me anyways.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You may want to try the SE4. The Dissector resembles the SE4 based on photos
The SE4 is the Xr4 just a thicker casing. Don't know why everyone is saying the 4 series looks like the dissector. Some vague semblance but the dissector has a freakin channel amongst other major differences.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
The larger center block knobs and ramped leading edges along with number of center knobs leads me to believe this will roll better than a DHR2. The side knobs seem aggressive enough and the small space between the large center and two opposing knobs will prevent this from sliding out as badly on wet roots and rocks like the DHR2 did (because of the continuous horizontal center knobs) while retaining braking traction. This to me looks like it will kill off the DHR2 just as that did to the HR2... I'm excited about this tire! Now if they would just release a DC version to avoid the fast wear we see with 3C versions!

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Rocks belong
5,346 Posts
If the SE4 and the High Roller 2 got drunk and made an illegitimate child... I'd say it'd look like the Dissector

·
Registered
398 Posts
The Dissector looks ideal for a front rough trail tire to me. I don't like tires that aggressive in the rear cause they just don't roll very well.

Will be the next new one I try although I'm pretty stocked up at the moment.
I ordered one for my trail bike. Been looking for a lighter faster rolling 'aggressive' front tire for knifing into so cal loose over hard. DHF seemed like overkill. Currently have a 2.6 Xr5 that's just too floaty/big. I'm hoping the dissector measures true to width but doubtful.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
The SE4 is the Xr4 just a thicker casing. Don't know why everyone is saying the 4 series looks like the dissector. Some vague semblance but the dissector has a freakin channel amongst other major differences.
I'm not sure who "everyone" refers to. To my eye, based on photos, I see a resemblance. But I'll only know for sure when I touch and feel it.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
That's an odd assumption from my perspective. Dry, rocky, loose, ruf as fuk is what I'd say that knobby ass tire was designed for. Too 'dirt bike' for a rear for my application but going by looks it's perfect as a front.

It would be fun to time these guys running these really grippy (i.e. Assegai) tires front and rear on their trail bikes vs. some well chosen trail tires. I'd bet they are 20% slower overall cause the climbs, and barely 1% faster on the descents due to the aggro tires. That's what happened to me anyways.
I'm talking about World Cup DH racers.

Just saw the Maxxis promo video with Brosnan confirming my thoughts.

·
Registered
8,378 Posts
I like the looks of this tire. To me it looks like a more aggressive eliminator with one less knob giving it a defined cornering channel which is the eliminators achilles heel imo. I can see the se/xr4 resemblance but hopefully rides nothing like as that tire sucks imo.

·
Registered
8,378 Posts
I want this tire, anybody know where 29" is in stock? My only reservation is killing the side knobs as fast as the aggressor but seems there are more of them than an aggressor.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Worldwide Cyclery had them in stock earlier today. I'm gonna try it with a 2.5 Assegai up front on my HTLT. I bought another one for a front tire to pair with a 2.3 aggressor. Hopefully I'll be trying that combo on the new Tallboy in a couple weeks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The side knobs seem aggressive enough and the small space between the large center and two opposing knobs will prevent this from sliding out as badly on wet roots and rocks like the DHR2 did (because of the continuous horizontal center knobs) while retaining braking traction. This to me looks like it will kill off the DHR2 just as that did to the HR2... I'm excited about this tire! ...
Hmm yeah I am pretty interested in this tire, but considering that Maxxis calls it a dry conditions tire while the DHR2 is considered to be good in the wet and dry makes me think that the DHR2 isn't going anywhere. Of course I don't think the Maxxis website calls the DHR2 a wet tire either and the aggressor (a dry-only tire) gets the job done for norcal winter riding since if its too wet/ muddy to use an aggressor I just stay home anyways.

IDK though why Maxxis likes to release tires mid-season, I am assuming it will be awhile before people are actually riding and reviewing it and by then I will want a tire more capable in wet conditions if possible.

Maxxis says it will work on both front and rear for trail bikes so if someone actually gets them in stock then maybe i'll get a set to replace my DHR2 front and rear, or at least try one on the rear. Either way I will probably let other people test it out first.

1 - 20 of 783 Posts