Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some research on tires the past few days as I just ordered a Santa Cruz Blur Tr Carbon with an XT build and Maxxis Crossmark tires on DT XR400's and I'm at a loss on tire selection...

I mostly ride Glacier Ridge and Stillwell here on Long Island, but would like to venture out and see what else the Island has to offer. With that being said the terrain is mostly hardback, some loose, some sand and pebble/sand covered climbs. Pretty varying terrain minus roots or sharp rocks.

My old ride is a 2005 Cannondale F1000 hard tail. Right now I'm running tubeless Kenda Small Block 8's in 26x2.1 on the stock Mavic UST wheels that came on the bike. I'm 5'10" and a muscular 200lbs. with normal summer riding gear on and I'm running about 28psi F & R. The 28psi feels good but I'm willing to change that if there's a significant improvement.

The SB8's have surprised me so far, but I could use a bit more traction when I really push these tires in the turns. Having a BMX and Downhill background I'm not one to keep a steady cadence and don't rely on gearing that much, I usually stay between the same 3 gears and don't feel the need to switch alot on these trails. I'm out of the saddle alot, coasting and pumping a bit (I contribute that to the SB8's great rolling resistance) and tend to throw the bike around under me quite a bit all while staying right on the tail of my fellow riders.

I love the rolling resistance of the SB8 as I feel it goes well with my riding style. My buddy runs Velociraptors on his newer Epic Elite and they sounded like freakin' sand paddles. While keeping a steady cadence he can not get away from me as I coast and pump behind him. But, I would lose a little confidence in the corners as now that I've really been pushing it I've had the SB8's wash out on me a few times.

I was thinking of switching to Nevegals but realize that there's probably been a ton of advancement since their inception. Research has brought me to look at the Conti X Kings, Schwalbe Rocket Ron, Nobby Nic and various others. Anyone have any concrete recommendations?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Have you tried the Crossmark's yet. They have quite a good edge however a Racing ralph 2.25 on the front should be enough of a step up in traction on the frront?You need to leran them right over to get on the edges though..
In 26" Ro Ro 2.4's are very good on the front. Fast grippy smooth. Xking 2.4 is a step down in traction but better than your SB8's . I think even the smaller version of both would give you more cornering than the 2.1 SB8.

Ikon's a good rear tire and is worth a look. I probably wouldn't rate it over a crossmark for the front though. Some rate it on the front in 29er size. I prefer the more aggressive edges of the Ra Ra.

Saguaro 2.2 is also an option. Hard wearing, similar tread to the ikon but wider. 2.0 on the rear if you like the smaller rear tires.

Michelin wild rac'r 2, fast centre, but aggresive edges.

Plenty of options out there.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Crossmark on my 29r with the round knob cut off worked great on front with sm8 on back. Rr on my 27.5 the worst thing I've used on hardpack and sliced up on rocks too fast. Also loved the ikon on front of 29r, a bit more bite over crossmark but weighs a bit more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts