Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Gold Member
Wrecker V2 / Nimble9
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just got in my new Crossmark and Ignitor today, and hope to get my first ride on them tomorrow.

I can tell you that you can tell a weight difference without a scale. The Xmark is definitely lighter than the Ignitor.

What pressures are people running in their Xmarks? It's stamped 35-50 psi I think?

·
Gold Member
Wrecker V2 / Nimble9
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GreenLightGo said:
are you going crossmark rear, ignitor front?
Yup, It looked like a good tire for the rear, so I asked around and it seems to be a popular thing to do. By Maxxis' own ad, the steering control is not as good as the Ignitor.

As far as weighing it, I am scaleless.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
F5000sl said:
Yup, It looked like a good tire for the rear, so I asked around and it seems to be a popular thing to do. By Maxxis' own ad, the steering control is not as good as the Ignitor.

As far as weighing it, I am scaleless.
post office : )

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
My new ignitor was 630 grams

F5000sl said:
Well, I just got in my new Crossmark and Ignitor today, and hope to get my first ride on them tomorrow.

I can tell you that you can tell a weight difference without a scale. The Xmark is definitely lighter than the Ignitor.

What pressures are people running in their Xmarks? It's stamped 35-50 psi I think?
+/- 10. Not as light as the older ones, but not terrible.

Dave

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
What tyres setup were you running before? Just curious if by chance it was Nano's as I have them and find they roll very well and aren't too heavy. Wanted to know how the Xmark compared to the Nano.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
LyNx said:
What tyres setup were you running before? Just curious if by chance it was Nano's as I have them and find they roll very well and aren't too heavy. Wanted to know how the Xmark compared to the Nano.
I've ridden the nano, sb8 and XMark on the rear in the last couple months. They are all fairly similar depending on the conditions, but the xmark does seem to roll slightly faster and grip slightly better than the nano. The xmark is unquestionably a better tire up front than the nano as well.

Depending on the conditions, I run anywhere from 25-32psi on the rear xmark. Lower when things are damp or have trouble gripping as well, higher when things are fast and dry.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've been running the crossmark for the last month in the front and rear position. Great tire that hooks up well in most all conditions. Havent tried mating it up w/ an Ignitor so I too would be interested to hear the ride report on it. I've found that for my weight (160 lbs) and riding style (mostly xc) that 30 - 32 psi front and rear provide the best results from this tire.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Interesting, thanks for the feedback. Is this on you Mamasita? Rigid or suspension fork?

mud'n'sweat said:
I've ridden the nano, sb8 and XMark on the rear in the last couple months. They are all fairly similar depending on the conditions, but the xmark does seem to roll slightly faster and grip slightly better than the nano. The xmark is unquestionably a better tire up front than the nano as well.

Depending on the conditions, I run anywhere from 25-32psi on the rear xmark. Lower when things are damp or have trouble gripping as well, higher when things are fast and dry.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Cool, thanks again. DO they have as much volume as the Nano's? I personally find the Nano's seem to have a good deal of volume to them compared to the only thing I know which is 26" tyres. Volume reminds me of the Hutchinson PYTHONS in 26".

mud'n'sweat said:
On my El M set up rigid.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
LyNx said:
Cool, thanks again. DO they have as much volume as the Nano's? I personally find the Nano's seem to have a good deal of volume to them compared to the only thing I know which is 26" tyres. Volume reminds me of the Hutchinson PYTHONS in 26".
It appears to be slightly more volume than the nano, however that may just be the larger knob profile. I did not measure them both to see.

·
Gold Member
Wrecker V2 / Nimble9
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, it took a few days, but I got 2 rides in on the new tires and I think that the Xmark is pretty sweet!!

It hooks up a little better in loose /dusty conditions over the ignitor.
I decided to start with higher PSI and work my way down.
So far I've ridden them with 36PSI Ignitor (F) and 36PSI Xmark (R).

I put in about 20mls on them at PSP & the JRPS, and I rode the gambit of terrain from dust bowl trails to wet rocks, roots, mud, stream crossings, steep hills and switchbacks, etc.

The only thing I noticed about the Xmark is that is seems to "float" during braking in turns more than the Ignitor did. Almost feels like you are powersliding, but never to that extreme.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
mud'n'sweat said:
It appears to be slightly more volume than the nano, however that may just be the larger knob profile. I did not measure them both to see.
my tape measure shows them to be 55/55 after four days of being mounted tubeless.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
F5000sl said:
Well, it took a few days, but I got 2 rides in on the new tires and I think that the Xmark is pretty sweet!!

It hooks up a little better in loose /dusty conditions over the ignitor.
I decided to start with higher PSI and work my way down.
So far I've ridden them with 36PSI Ignitor (F) and 36PSI Xmark (R).

I put in about 20mls on them at PSP & the JRPS, and I rode the gambit of terrain from dust bowl trails to wet rocks, roots, mud, stream crossings, steep hills and switchbacks, etc.

The only thing I noticed about the Xmark is that is seems to "float" during braking in turns more than the Ignitor did. Almost feels like you are powersliding, but never to that extreme.
More front brake, less rear :thumbsup:

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
These two tyres are definitely on my list of tyres I will be looking at once I get up to CO. Think I'll at least buy one of each, since there definitely aren't any 29er tyres available down here. Then will have to see between the Nev and Rampage as super big, sticky tyre.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Could you run the Xmark and Ignitor combo tubeless? I know they are not branded as UST - but some Stans on a set of Stans Flow rims with the conversion kit - would that work?

·
HMFIC
370 Posts
GreenLightGo said:
Could you run the Xmark and Ignitor combo tubeless? I know they are not branded as UST - but some Stans on a set of Stans Flow rims with the conversion kit - would that work?
Should work just fine. I'm running this pairing (old Ignitor (600g) front / Crossmark rear) on a set of Arches with the yellow-tape/valve/sealant tubeless setup (no rimstrip) on my Sultan for some time now. I has having a little trouble with the rear yesterday, but found that the tire had almost no sealant left and it looks like one of the drainage holes in the rear Arch rim had been leaking. Topped it off with a scoop of sealant and it's holding pressure again just fine.

Fast-rolling, nice-steering setup. Lightweight to boot.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.