Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MountainGoat aka OldGoat
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loving my TallBoy:thumbsup: tenth ride on it and found a rip in the sidewall:madman: going to go tubeless on TM 719 rims and want to find a tire for the rear with a stronger sidewall. Any suggestions? BTW I'm 150 pounds ready to ride. So something not to heavy would be nice:D

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
pachaven said:
Loving my TallBoy:thumbsup: tenth ride on it and found a rip in the sidewall:madman: going to go tubeless on TM 719 rims and want to find a tire for the rear with a stronger sidewall. Any suggestions? BTW I'm 150 pounds ready to ride. So something not to heavy would be nice:D
If you like the Crossmark and want a stronger sidewall, the Crossmark LUST is a tough sidewall and a tubeless UST tire. Can't have light weight tires and really durable sidewalls together, so you're going to have to pay a weight penalty. The Crossmark UST is 800+ grams. Rolls fast - just like a non UST Crossmark, but doesn't require sealant and has tough sidewalls.

BB

·
Registered
343 Posts
BruceBrown said:
If you like the Crossmark and want a stronger sidewall, the Crossmark LUST is a tough sidewall and a tubeless UST tire. Can't have light weight tires and really durable sidewalls together, so you're going to have to pay a weight penalty. The Crossmark UST is 800+ grams. Rolls fast - just like a non UST Crossmark, but doesn't require sealant and has tough sidewalls.

BB
Maxxis what about the new IKON with the beefed up sidewalls?

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
Actually Crossmark is a really good rear tire for tubeless, just the regular version. Any tire can get a sidewall cut under the right conditions. I got a sidewall cut on a new Specy Fast Trak Control a couple years ago, it was brand new. Since then I have rolled 100's of miles on Fast Trak's without issue... So you can get an armadillo/snakeskin/etc some other kind of heavy-built sidewall if you need it for really rocky conditions, just a reality check on was that a fluke, or are Crossmarks now forever an unsuitable tire?

For the price of an Ikon, you can buy two Crossmarks and throw one away if you get a cut. :)

Mavic wouldn't be my first choice of rim though for a tubeless conversion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.