Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using this tire on the rear? If so how do you like it. What direction do you have the "point" of center knobs facing? The arrow on sidewall has "point" going forward, but usually that is only for front. Might have better grip rotating for rear. Thanks

·
Registered
779 Posts
i ran a crossmark today as a rear w/ a WTB epicwolf on front (which was quite nice btw). to put it simply.... the crossmark was top 3 worst tires ive ever ridden. even as a rear it was squirrely in turns, didnt allow for any modulation on the rear brake, it locked up so fast. no climbing bite, no cornering knobs, center treads packed with dirt super fast..... and for such a low profile tread its not that light at all....
this tire saw a good variety of terrain too (some stream crossings with muddy exits, plenty of rock gardens, super fast hardpack and a ton of loose over stuff) unfortunately it didnt shine anywhere! well, it rolls pretty fast.
i ran it arrow pionting backwards in hopes of getting more climbing bite.....

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been running it the same way (pointing opposite direction). I run Nevegal up front. Both are 2.1. I have been riding this combo over the last five rides. So far I like it. Conditions are dry/loose rocks out here in Rockies. All in all rolls well. Cornering seems good. Does seem to lack in the climbing in steep loosenrock. For now the combo is working well to stick with it.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Its a pure XC tire course its not gonna handle normal trail conditions! Doh!

I'm running this tire myself its fast and grippy but have only had one ride so still evaluating but as a trail tire I can tell you for grip the Larsen TT is far superior in wet and loose, though not as fast!

Course I'm running UST lust of both versions!

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Have yet to try the Crossmark on the front apparently it corners very well?

I don't like the TT on the front at all, I only use it on the rear, best tire for XC on the front Ive liked has been the Hutchinson scorpion its a corning demon, but I don't like this tire on the rear, Python r Scorpion front is a good combo or CM or TT rear with Scorpion front.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have been using the crossmark ust on the front and rear of my hardtail all season so far. I have not had any problems with it. Most of the races have been and hard pack stuff with roots and few sections of rock. I run mine at 30 psi and have been happy.

What pressure have you been running in yours?

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
I've yet to test the CrossMark off road (only did about 200 m of hardpack since the cast on my arm just came off today). From what I read above, the concensus (a far as there is any) is opposite to what was posted here 2-3 months ago. So what I'm wondering:

- Do CrossMarks roll better than TT's? To me it felt like they were slower! :)
- Cornering grip on hardpack seems the same. What about gravel?

·
Registered
178 Posts
For a light (I am a very light biker, as well as I dont do anything extreme at all) freeride biker, do you think I would be ok going with the 2.10 Nevegal in my LBS? OR sshould I ask them to order a 2.35 tire? Because I'm not sure if 2.10 will be too thin.

Thanks

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
The CrossMark is an A W E S O M E rear tire. It rolls super fast and it has great drive traction - killer combo. I will agree that the breaking modulation is the one thing I've noticed lacking, but I mainly rely on my front brake.

I run a Kenda Blue Groove 2.1 UST and a CrossMark 2.1 UST and I run them both the suggested direction. Phenomenal all-mountain combination!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.