Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just weighed a set on the digital scale and each tire actually came in at 520 grams! The tread on top of the tire looks like it will roll really fast and the side knobs are very pronounced and should hook up great. The trails are still too nasty around here to do an official test, but definitely excited about this tire.
Oh, compared it to the Raven and it feels quite a bit more durable....sidewall thickness is more in line w/ the Ignitor

Attachments

·
Your Best Friend
5,457 Posts
520gs is actually on the high side for this tire. I've weighed eight of them recently (including four just yesterday) and the highest one was 526gs while two others were 520.

Anyway. It is an awesome tire. I used a set in St. George last weekend putting about 50 miles on them in 24 hours. I weigh 185lbs geared up and ran them at 21.5psi. No burps or rim hits at all. They cornered very well and were fast rollers. The climbing ability was really surprising. I followed two different riders, one using a crow and the other a SB8. Both riders spun out or lost traction and had adjust their weight distribution several times. Not really surprised that those tires had issues but the Aspen just motored on through.

The tire I have the most time on is the Schwalbe Racing Ralph. The Aspen feels faster, is more confidence inspiring in the corners and the casing feels more supple. Climbing is about even.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree /\ I've used this tire for a few races and it almost seems to hook better that the nevegal. i had a real hard time getting it to bead up tubeless, but no problems for a while now. definitely gives confidence in the corners!

·
Your Best Friend
5,457 Posts
I should have mentioned, I'm running these on ZTR 355's with Stans. I put a tube in each tire and actually did a road training ride on them prior to switching to tubeless. I used a compressor and they aired up right away. I put 3oz of sealant in each.

I HIGHLY recommend this tire for racing.

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
I have been running the Aspens front and rear on my SS since they first came out. My all around tires are Ignitors. Since tires never weight the same, I will say that my Aspens are consistently 100 grams lighter than the Ignitors. I tried the Aspens as a trail tire for a while and personally I'll take the 100 g weight penalty. That being said, when I use them for their intended purpose, XC, they are great on everything, but loose over hard surface. They roll very fast don't look for much "cush" out of them. I run them tubeless w/3oz. of Stan's on Mavic C-29s. YMMV.

·
Lazy People Suck
767 Posts
Karma's vs Aspen's

BB, If I recall correctly, you have used Karma's in the past. How do the Aspens compare to the Karma's? The weights seem similiar. I been racing on Karma for over 5 yrs now, but may look at something else. I am racing in Indiana twisty wooded single track. I have always Karma's were a nice balance of weight, traction and rolling resistance.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Fett said:
BB, If I recall correctly, you have used Karma's in the past. How do the Aspens compare to the Karma's? The weights seem similiar. I been racing on Karma for over 5 yrs now, but may look at something else. I am racing in Indiana twisty wooded single track. I have always Karma's were a nice balance of weight, traction and rolling resistance.
Yes, I have 2 pair of the Karma 1.9's. I still race them - depending on the course and the bike. Sometimes front and rear, sometimes just on the front with a Crow out back. I kind of let them sit for an extended period of time until I moved to the wider XC rims (I run them on Blunts and Delgado Discs). The Karma's come to life on the wider rims where they were so-so on my narrower American Classic rims. I would get too much tire squirm on the narrow rims when I took the psi down low enough for good comfort and traction, but no problems on the wider rims. They come to life on the wider rims at lower pressures.

Obviously, the Aspens have more volume. Traction is good on both, but the wider footprint of the Aspen gives it the nod both in the front and the rear as the contact patch is larger. I'd pretty much have to say the Aspen is thee "HOT" XC race tire for 29"ers. That comes from what I have to pick between of quick rollers that I own such as the Karma 1.9's, XR's, SB 8's, Crows, Raven 2.2's, Nanoraptors, Ralph 2.25's and 2.4's.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Aspens for XC racing and riding in terms of the Midwest. The tire is that good. The pair I own weighs 480 and 500g. I've run them on my JET 9 and my Dos Niner through all kinds of "Midwest" terrain and conditions. I literally have nothing negative to say about the pair I own. Rolling resistance, weight, price, volume, traction - all strike a nice balance.

BB

·
Registered
170 Posts
So for somebody that runs Crossmarks Stan'd year round would these be worth a change too? How do they compare...except for the aprox 100 gm weight savings ;)

·
Registered
386 Posts
How does the Aspen compare to the Crossmark (other than being ~ 100gms lighter)? I realize it's the same size but is it higher volume?

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
It really isn't what you run now. It's WHERE and HOW you run it. I can run the Aspens everywhere I run my Ignitors and used to run my Rampages. It is just more sketchy and less confidence inspiring. You won't really know until you try. Don't get me wrong, I like the Aspens, but only for their intended purpose...XC.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
How do you guys like the Aspen 29 so far?

Will I notice a significant rolling difference switching from the Arden 2.25 (around 705g) to the lighter Aspen?
I am using the Ardent in the front and the Crossmark at the rear.

How's the durability of the Aspen?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Dictatorsaurus said:

Will I notice a significant rolling difference switching from the Arden 2.25 (around 705g) to the lighter Aspen?

They are a great tire for hard packed trails (the best IMO) but are not great in loose over hard. I don't have much confidence in the Aspen as front tire in desert type trails with many rocks. I have not flatted with them though. Yes there is a big difference from the Ardent mainly due to weight but it still rolls faster.

If you were looking into the Aspen to replace the Ardent I would recommend moving your Crossmark to the front and put the Aspen in the rear. This is just based upon my experience. YMMV

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Dictatorsaurus said:

More than one year so far on my Aspens. They work fine and dandy front and rear for me (XC racing/tubeless with low 20 psi and on wider XC rims). Your Ardent front, Crossmark rear is a nice combination as well. And there is more coming from Maxxis.....:D

I wouldn't start calling XC racing tires that are in the 480g-520g range as "durable" for much outside of XC racing. I'm surprised my Aspens lasted a year, but I am riding and racing in the Midwest where the soil and conditions are - for the most part - not too threatening to sidewalls. Tread lasted well compared to some other tires I own and ride on other bikes. I recently took them off the bike as I'm currently trying out some other tires from Maxxis at the moment (will be announced and released this fall).

Ravens, Ralphs, Aspens, Race Kings, etc....all do well here. But your terrain may be different.

BB

·
Registered
590 Posts
Similar to above, they function great as a rear tire in my Mid-Western hard pack trails. Even a couple of muddy spots in a race yesterday made me spin, but then hook up while others simply spun out. The Aspen then clear the mud quickly. I like my front tire to have a bit more in the tread dept so I run a Racing Ralph. Have not flatted nor torn a sidewall. I encounter a moderate number of rocks and roots.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I've raced and trail ridden them this season with good results. They grab good on the side lugs, but only with a hard lean. There is a "no mans land" between upright traction and leaned over traction, but this is normal for lightweight tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
knobs don't line up

I just received an Aspen 29er. The right and left half of the tire don't line up such that instead of the center chevron being 3 even lines, the left half of the the tire has half a chevron forward, then there are two complete (normal looking lines) then the right half of the tire has half a chevron. The knobs on the left side of the tire do not line up with the knobs on the right side. (Like you buttoned your shirt one button off). Think I should send it back, or just slap it on and forgetaboutit.

Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts