Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I have been riding Maxxis Aspen 29x2.40wt on DT Swiss i30 hookless carbon rims front and rear on Trek Top fuel 2020 bike.

1.11bar/16.1psi front, 1.25/18.1psi rear. Rider weight 68kg.

I really like them and there seems to be many other riders who like them as well. Very nice tire for xc/light trail.

For me,
Positives:
-Low rolling resistance.
-Ability to ride lowish pressure without "squirming".
-True to size (2.42"/61.5mm) at 18psi.
-Low weight for fat xc tire (720g).
-Predictable grip on most surfaces.
-Easy to install tubeless.

Neutrals:
-Durability/Longetivity. I have had 3 punctures this summer. Central knobs seem to wear pretty quick. Overall fine durability but maybe not the best.

Negatives:
-Front cornering grip on looser surfaces not the best.

Overall I am so happy with aspen 2.40wt that I won't be checking any other tires soon.

How do you feel about Aspen 2.40wt?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Did you run the EXO or regular version, given the weight of 720g?

I'm currently riding the new Fast Trak's 29x2.35 T5, coming from Aspen's 29x2.25 EXO. I was quite surprised how much grip the Fast Trak's provide during cornering, and the suppleness of the tire as well, excellent self- damping.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did you run the EXO or regular version, given the weight of 720g?

I'm currently riding the new Fast Trak's 29x2.35 T5, coming from Aspen's 29x2.25 EXO. I was quite surprised how much grip the Fast Trak's provide during cornering, and the suppleness of the tire as well, excellent self- damping.
Do you prefer the Fast Trak over the Aspen 2.25?

I ride Aspen 2.25 rear / Ikon 2.35 front right now but I'm always looking to try new tire combos.

·
Registered
490 Posts
My feedback on the Aspen 2.4 in the XC Race Tire thread. Had my 2nd ride this weekend on hardpack soil with bit of sand and just crushed PRs left and right.
Love the 2.25 Aspens but the 2.4 just adds that little extra volume im not beat up.

After a very wet July and part of August things finally drying up for good September races in New England. Swapped to 2.4 Aspen front and rear. Both tires pretty close to factory weight spec (717g, 722g). When mounted looked very small, but after one ride tires measuring right at 2.4. The volume is pretty amazing, very supple ride. Really bring the pressure down versus my prior race setup (AR 2.35/Ikon 2.25) to 23psi front/26psi rear.
First impressions of shakedown ride (trail mix of fireroad, hard to medium loose singletrack, lots of small rocks). Avg pace: 11.1mph
Pretty wild such small knobs do the job but felt pretty comfortable loading pretty good into corners. More feedback and not muted like my AR.
There was some greasy rocks and expected to slide but nope, held its line. Better than the Ikon but not as good as the AR.
Acceleration with larger tire felt OK, Ikons much better initial bite and power transfer. But once your moving at a good clip, Aspens just had crazy momentum. Saw this during the fireroad sections, soft pedaling and holding good pace.

·
Category Winner
6,117 Posts
I just put a set on a Specialized Epic EVO specifically for the Shenandoah Mountain 100. I have to say that I wasn't disappointed. The extra volume is nice as far as traction and added cush, and the rolling resistance on the gravel and pavement felt like I was on a road bike.

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Do you prefer the Fast Trak over the Aspen 2.25?

I ride Aspen 2.25 rear / Ikon 2.35 front right now but I'm always looking to try new tire combos.
For year-round usability, yes. The Fast Trak's corner better, the T5 rolling resistance feels about the same, they have a really light rolling feeling. I weighed them at 690g & 700g.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I tore a 2 inch gash into the sidewall on my rear Aspen on their 3rd or 4th time out going uphill through limestone rubble.

Riding Continental Mountain Kings now with no such issues and the extra (nominal) weight was well worth it.

XC specific tires are nice but don't hold up to any kind of real cross-country abuse.

......in my experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.