Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody :)
I am an amateur freerider and I have a few questions obout tyres.
I currently run 2.25 rocket rons and I would like tyres with bigger nobs and a wider front tyre.I have a haro flightline 2dx and a rockshox TORA 302.I also have a 26mm front wheel and a 24mm back wheel if it helps.I really like the maxxis high roller and minion dhf.I heard that maxxises are a bit narrower than schwalbes.Do you guys think a maxxis minion dhf 2.5 would fit in my tora and a 2.35 high roller at the back if a have just enough space for my rocket rons 2.25 at the back.If a minion dhf 2.5 wouldnt fit in the front would a 2.35 fit in the front.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think the only way you are going to answer these questions, is to actually try the various tyres that you mention, on your bike.

I realise this will mean spending a bit of cash on tyres you might not use (but can always sell on ebay, l got £33 for my used once Smart Sams)
But at least then you will know what tyres to buy in the future.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
So when you say that you are a freerider, do you mean you jump and do tricks?
Anyway, don't buy up every tyre you want to try. I can see you don't have too big of a budget, so buying $500 worth of tyres will not be in your best interests.
A 2.35 will definitely fit up front. I have one on the front of my Cobia. As for the rear, a 2.35 is at the limit of width for the back of my Cobia, however, so it might or might not work for you. It all depends on how much space is left between the tyre and frame currently. If there is more than 1 inch per side, then you can fit a 2.35 in there no problem.
I just read a review on BikeRadar, and this is what it said about the front tyre: "The only downside is tight tyre clearance on anything over 2.3in, but that's big enough for most bikes needing 100mm of travel."
2.5 would be too wide.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I don't think it would have cost anywhere near $500

But at least somebody has now replied with some advice.
I still think some trial and error will be needed here, to find the best tyre combination for the intended use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts