Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
I can only help you regarding 2.1"s. I've used these a couple of times, mainly as a rough conditions tire (rock, loose gravel, slate, etc.), where they performed really well on an XC bike. They're not too grippy on wet rocks and roots, so in the end I had to go back to Michelin XCR Muds...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'm looking at a new tire with some store credit I have and my LBS recomended the Maxis Advantage 2.1 to be a great rear tire (in combination with a 2.35 Highroller) in loose over hardpack, sandy, dusty, rocky type terain (basically terain that you would want a big knobby tire with plenty of grip).
Since I would like to try a bigger tire for the front I think I'l give the Advantage 2.4 a go. To me the tread pattern looks a bit similar to the Michelin Hot S 2.2's that I currently have and they perform really well in the loose conditions (gravel, rock, sand) and clear mud pretty well too.

I've found a fair bit of positive info on the Maxxis Advantage tires (mainly 2.4's) by just punchng "Maxxis Advantage" in the search & reading through.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
great tires for my conditions (Southern Calif). i dont care about traction on wet stuff and/or in mud obviously given the geography for what it is worth.

They are way bigger than 2.35 Maxxis Minions or Highrollers (bigger than the 0.05 difference would suggest). They have great traction and cornering. If I had to pick a weakness it would be the sidewalls but that is the case with most single ply tires anyway.

I have the other "tire to beat" en route to my house to try (Big Bettys) and am anxious to compare them. Advantage are much cheaper though which is a good thing.

cheers

·
Trampelpfadbenutzer
692 Posts
They do not corner as great as the Highroller or Minions but are very close I might say.As Fo said the sidewalls aren't that thick but I have no problems with that until know.They do roll good and corner well and are relative lightweight with around 850 gram.You will also reconize that they run a bit bigger than your 2.5 Rollers.They grab well in my sometimes muddy and wet rocky terrain.I like them.

Later
RaD

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Good tire

I've tried it only in my local dry rocky hardpack with a little loose sand on top and it works pretty good.
Two interesting things in those conditions are 1) in front the split lug tends to grab larger sand (or smaller gravel) and throw it up under my sunglasses, so I only use it out back and 2) it has a minimum pressure of 35 psi and I never liked it until I tried 40 psi for a paved climb to the trailhead and left it at that pressure for a section of sharp rocks and found it worked better with the higher pressure in dry conditions. I would usually run 28-30 psi for a tire this big but it squirmed pretty bad.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Hmm I just got mine today - well just one Maxxis Advantage 2.4 for the front. Gee it looks huge & tall compared to the Hot S 2.2 or Panaracer Fire XC 2.1! I definitely wouldn't fit anything much bigger than that under my Tora Fork.

I did notice the min pressure of 35psi - most tyres seem to state about that! I was wondering if anyone know what they base that figure on?
I'm about 60kg (132lb) so not heavy by any means and usually run between 30 to 35psi in my tires (unless I forget to check them & occasionally they may end up being somewhere in the high 20's).

I guess the only way is to ride it and figure out what works. I've inflated it to 33psi and the rear Michelin 2.2 to 34psi.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
energetix said:
Hmm I just got mine today - well just one Maxxis Advantage 2.4 for the front. Gee it looks huge & tall compared to the Hot S 2.2 or Panaracer Fire XC 2.1! I definitely wouldn't fit anything much bigger than that under my Tora Fork.

I did notice the min pressure of 35psi - most tyres seem to state about that! I was wondering if anyone know what they base that figure on?
I'm about 60kg (132lb) so not heavy by any means and usually run between 30 to 35psi in my tires (unless I forget to check them & occasionally they may end up being somewhere in the high 20's).

I guess the only way is to ride it and figure out what works. I've inflated it to 33psi and the rear Michelin 2.2 to 34psi.
If you run a tube, sacrifice one and run as low pressure as you can until you snake bite and then inflate up a bit.

I'm similar in weight to you (150'ish fully loaded) and would never inflate a front, high volume tyre to 30 PSI. It would be like riding a locomotive wheel for tyre. I'm running Adrenalines 2.0" and my buddies always mock at my tyres pressure... especially the last time I flatted the rear on a jump. But the front has been really fine in the mid-20's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.