Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Got rocks?
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Any report on how you like the 2.6" assegai? Im trying to decide whether to get 2.5 or 2.6. I have sometimes been disappointed wiith the 2.6 versions of tires because often the knob height is shortened (particularly the side knobs) or the tread isnt any wider, just the casing-giving it a crappy profile
The 2.6 was wider in both casing and knobs. Knob height seems the same as 2.5 too. I have both sizes and ran both.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
So the "2.5" is a 2.35" and the "2.6" is a 2.45" tire. Great job Maxxis. Just kidding, you suck.
This is how Maxxis has always been. It is Schwalbe you should be mad at. After years of their tires being true to size or larger, they are now smaller than advertised. Magic Mary 2.35s used to be that to a 2.4, now are a 2.25 and 2.6 is a 2.4. Don’t even get me going on the 2.6 Hans Dampf and Nobby Nics, which were great for a trail hardtail, a real 2.6 and just under 1000 grams, now under a 2.5 and 1200 grams.

·
Registered
179 Posts
This is how Maxxis has always been. It is Schwalbe you should be mad at. After years of their tires being true to size or larger, they are now smaller than advertised. Magic Mary 2.35s used to be that to a 2.4, now are a 2.25 and 2.6 is a 2.4. Don’t even get me going on the 2.6 Hans Dampf and Nobby Nics, which were great for a trail hardtail, a real 2.6 and just under 1000 grams, now under a 2.5 and 1200 grams.
cant state the verdict on the schwalbe. maybe you use a narrow rim, but the 2.6 mary's on my 35mm internal rim are 68mm wide, as the hans dampf are also

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
cant state the verdict on the schwalbe. maybe you use a narrow rim, but the 2.6 mary's on my 35mm internal rim are 68mm wide, as the hans dampf are also
Are they the last generation Snakeskin or the new generation super trail and super ground? It is the new ones that shrank, the last generation measure as you stated.

·
Underskilled
4,633 Posts
Mm 2.6 new is full size on my 30id rim too.

Reactions: Cary

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Mm 2.6 new is full size on my 30id rim too.
Good to know. Wondering if they changed casings again, as early reviews of 2.6 had casing measurements of 2.4. I just received a set of 2.6s today which are measuring 160mm bead to bead, which suggest they should be close to a 2.6 when mounted. Far bigger than the 2.35s I got that measure 2.25 at the casing mounted. Aghhhhh, consistency would be nice, but I am glad they seem to be back to true in size.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts