Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Living the Dream
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the maxle rear through axle is compatable with the highline? I'm getting an 07 and I would like get the Maxle Rear if I can. Thanks.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
i think its in the works for the dhr, hl and maybe even the rfx but not in the 1st run from what i remember readin. perhaps late in the year, about the same time the website gets updated.

·
Living the Dream
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know they cancelled the maxle for the RFX.

cactuscorn said:
i think its in the works for the dhr, hl and maybe even the rfx but not in the 1st run from what i remember readin. perhaps late in the year, about the same time the website gets updated.
Right after I broke my spot, I was considering the RFX and Highline for my next bike. I talked with Turner 2 weeks ago about both bikes, and they said that the maxle was no longer coming on the RFX and that the RFX was coming with the RP23.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Maxle

The Maxle will work with the 06 and the 07 Highline and the 07 DHR, although the 06 hanger is thicker so it is harder get your fingers on the knob to adjust the QR tension. HB was the first I saw using it. We have the Maxle dropout for the RFX all ready to go to machine, but when we started asking dealers about it they freaked. Something about few making 12 x 135 hubs and being a pain to source parts for. So, with so many nice bolted rear hubs like Hadley already available in 10mm I shelved the files for another day.

DT

·
Living the Dream
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks DT!

You da man.:thumbsup:
turnerbikes said:
The Maxle will work with the 06 and the 07 Highline and the 07 DHR, although the 06 hanger is thicker so it is harder get your fingers on the knob to adjust the QR tension. HB was the first I saw using it. DT

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
turnerbikes said:
The Maxle will work with the 06 and the 07 Highline and the 07 DHR, although the 06 hanger is thicker so it is harder get your fingers on the knob to adjust the QR tension. HB was the first I saw using it. We have the Maxle dropout for the RFX all ready to go to machine, but when we started asking dealers about it they freaked. Something about few making 12 x 135 hubs and being a pain to source parts for. So, with so many nice bolted rear hubs like Hadley already available in 10mm I shelved the files for another day.

DT
Hey DT, I know we talked about this recently, but what about a Highline(esque) hanger/der guard for the RFX? To be honest, the Maxle would of been cool but a beefier der hanger setup like the HL is much more appealing to me and I'm sure others. Not sure if it's feasible with existing chainstays but I know I would be willing to pop for a new chainstay to get a beefier hanger setup, something that would work with a bolt on hub.

Anyone else out there interested in this?? Guess I could go with an aftermarket der guard but the HL one looks much beefier and stronger, maybe Sram will make a beefier der too, that would be cool :)

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
the dual tnt/horst chainstay.
Care to elaborate on that? I had that idea sometime ago which I posted here, TNT drive side with HL non-driveside (brakes side), I guess I need to go file a patent for it now :p Don't worry DT, I'll license it to you in exchage for frames and bike parts. :D

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
turnerbikes said:
I shelved the files for another day.
That's too bad! :( Maxle rear would have made me "upgrade" to the 6Spot (or is it '07RFX, I forget). I guess I'll keep my 6Pack for now though the IH 7Point-light, now, looks interesting.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
turnerbikes said:
The Maxle will work with the 06 and the 07 Highline and the 07 DHR, although the 06 hanger is thicker so it is harder get your fingers on the knob to adjust the QR tension.
Very cool. I wonder where one could buy the 150x12 rear maxle kit? I see it listed on the rockshox small part list...

special orders like this take about 6 months through my LBS :madman:

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
I haven't seen the rear maxles listed with the distributers yet, nor have I noticed any bikes delivered with OEM rear maxles (has anyone, and what are they?). A call to RS/Sram may provide a delivery date, but no hurry really, the HL axle is nothing to complain about.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
SkullCrack said:
I thought this post from _dw was interesting regarding the rear Maxle:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=2735432&postcount=7
yeah thats good info!

Aiwreck has a good point, the stock system is incredible... years ahead of the typical derailuer hanger system IMHO. Probably more secure than a maxle too. With DH tires, I never get flats anyways, so it's not like using a wrench is an inconveniance. I take my fork off more often than my rear wheel! :rolleyes:

PS- Devincis also use the rear maxle.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
SkullCrack said:
I thought this post from _dw was interesting regarding the rear Maxle:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=2735432&postcount=7

Airwreck, the Cove Shocker DH has a rear Maxle. Here's a video with a demo of it.
thanks.
I'm looking forward to the day when rear "drop outs" are eliminated/replaced by through axle type holes. Having had a rear wheel literally drop out before, and rear skewers loosen etc. I will never buy a bike again with traditional (road bike!) rear wheel to frame interface technology.

and like I said, I'm still waiting to see production bikes shipped with rear maxles, I figure they'll take care of the OEM's first, then aftermarket...

and I still prefer tools over toolless, front and rear, too many potential failure points with the maxle as _dw mentions...

creating a 10x135 highline derived system would be worth it, even if it only fit Turners.

Renegade, another good milling project for you? :thumbsup:

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
airwreck said:
Renegade, another good milling project for you? :thumbsup:
Ugh, get in line, I may free up sometime in winter of '08.
My big spring project is a set of rockers that offer me three different BB height/head angles. By the time I finish those, it will be springtime, and time to ride, not work!

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
They're listed as IN STOCK at BTI.

JMH

airwreck said:
I haven't seen the rear maxles listed with the distributers yet, nor have I noticed any bikes delivered with OEM rear maxles (has anyone, and what are they?). A call to RS/Sram may provide a delivery date, but no hurry really, the HL axle is nothing to complain about.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.