Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
otb club member
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a pie-in-the-sky wish....

RS really nailed it with the Maxle. Stiff, light, and super easy to use. Since having my Pike for a few months, I find quick releases to be a pain in the butt. Now that the Rear Maxle is out, I want a MKIII rear end designed around it. The added stiffness in the rear would be great. Also, I find that the pounding the MKIII can take sometimes causes me to beat the rear wheel enough to cause minor shifting of the hub in the rear dropouts. So, while you guys at IH are getting the 07 rear triangle upgrade kits ready, how about one for me with a rear Maxle? I'll be glad to pay extra....

Now, as a more realistic request, how about looking into this for next year's models?

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
I second that emotion

I agree! :yesnod:

I almost bought a 150mm Maxle for my 7point7 (to replace the SAINT) but I wasn't sure that it would provide enough clamping force to work safely with vertical dropouts (vs. round hole). It seems they are designed more for applying an expanding force, which might do wierd things to an open dropout.

Anybody know? Todd? Dante?

JMH

Chris2fur said:
Just a pie-in-the-sky wish....

RS really nailed it with the Maxle. Stiff, light, and super easy to use. Since having my Pike for a few months, I find quick releases to be a pain in the butt. Now that the Rear Maxle is out, I want a MKIII rear end designed around it. The added stiffness in the rear would be great. Also, I find that the pounding the MKIII can take sometimes causes me to beat the rear wheel enough to cause minor shifting of the hub in the rear dropouts. So, while you guys at IH are getting the 07 rear triangle upgrade kits ready, how about one for me with a rear Maxle? I'll be glad to pay extra....

Now, as a more realistic request, how about looking into this for next year's models?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Iron Horse was one of the first frame companies to build prototypes using the 12mm rear maxle. All of the Type6 prototypes used it. I agree that the front maxle is an incredible piece, especially the tool version used on the Boxxer WC, but the 12mm rear maxle is a different beast. One of the biggest drawbacks of the 12mm rear maxle is that the "nut" that holds the unit together and sticks out of the drive side always seems to get stuck in the drive side threaded dropout, and this causes the entire maxle to disassemble itself while you are trying to remove it. In the end, this issue coupled with a some other minor ones caused the test riders to unanimously suggest that it was not included on future bikes. I tkink that the concept has a lot of promise for the future after the next level of refinement hits the bike shops.

Dave

·
otb club member
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
_dw said:
Iron Horse was one of the first frame companies to build prototypes using the 12mm rear maxle. All of the Type6 prototypes used it. I agree that the front maxle is an incredible piece, especially the tool version used on the Boxxer WC, but the 12mm rear maxle is a different beast. One of the biggest drawbacks of the 12mm rear maxle is that the "nut" that holds the unit together and sticks out of the drive side always seems to get stuck in the drive side threaded dropout, and this causes the entire maxle to disassemble itself while you are trying to remove it. In the end, this issue coupled with a some other minor ones caused the test riders to unanimously suggest that it was not included on future bikes. I tkink that the concept has a lot of promise for the future after the next level of refinement hits the bike shops.

Dave
Bummer! Oh, well, nice to know you guys were on top of it and already checked it out. Like you said, maybe the kinks will get worked out. I have problems with the axle and derailleur hanger shifting slightly, even though I keep the QR tight. Guess I'll look into some other "fixes" for now.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
What happened to the type-6??? I still want a dh bike with less travel. I'm still sitting on my 05' 7point waiting for it to happen.... till then I will continue to rock the 7.7

Wyrm

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
Another YES vote- when they get it dialed

I was excited to read about the rear Maxle in this thread. Seems like that would be the simplest and lightest way to prevent the notorious groove from forming on the non-drive chainstay on the MkIII that some of us have experienced.

Then I was bummed to read DW's comment that it's not quite ready for prime time.

Well, FWIW (probably not much), I hope IH will stay on top of the idea and if someone can get it right, incorporate it into future models.

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
_dw said:

Dave
Thanks for your input Dave.
The Type 6 we had at the shop for a while was pretty darn impressive, even with the non perfected rear maxle.

Greg

·
Registered
510 Posts
I know little about rear suspension except that this stuff works the best, but when looking at stiffening up the front end of the bike it is hard to beat a 20mm thru axle with a single pinch bolt on either side. The idea is a really stiff torsional element (locked at both ends rather than threaded at either) really stiffens things up.

Marzocchi is doing a running change this year on the All Mountain stuff going from QR20 (one end threaded) to thru with pinch bolts.

I had some grand plan to thread the inside of a hollow front axle and just use 20mm thimbels in each drop out to secure the axle in place... (think SRAM X.0 RD attachment method). Really stiff and really light. No thru-axle - just use the one that is there already! There were ways to use a shoulder on the thimbel to make a rachet lock etc.

Until my brother pointed out that as the fork arms moved independantly the threads would work i.e. move. He said a lot of the stiffness comes from locking both ends of the hollow tube - making sure neither end can rotate. Threads do not do that. Pinch bolts do.

To shorten up this long story, Pinch bolts on both ends of a hollow 20mm tube work if one is seeking stiffness.

Has anyone developed 20mm pinch bolt rear drop outs?

One allen wrench gets the axle out. Suspension performance would be better than any 12mm system. There would be enough space for folks to sucessfully execute Maxle versions on the same hubs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.