Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a RS Pike Team and a Magura FreeRide 20mm hub (exactly the same as the DT Swiss Hugi FR). When the Maxle is inserted to the suggested specs, there is wobble... side-to-side play if I grab the top of the wheel and the fork legs. Also if I lift the front end and drop it, evan a few inches, there is a clunk as the hub moves against the axle. If I super tighten the Maxle, there is still wobbling although a little less.
It is very disconcerting, and cannot be good for the hub.
I'm very competent, but have I missed something?
The hub is brand new; this is its first mounting. The Pike is brand new and ridden exactly once before I noticed the problem.

Anyone, any ideas?

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
I had a atom hub that did the same thing. No matter how tight the 20mm was. In that case it was the bearings and the central spacer shifting around that caused the clunk. I ended up ditching the hub and swearing off hubs assembled in the same manner. It wasn't going to hurt anything, but it sure didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Betcha a buck it is your hub ;)

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Have you slid the maxle into the wheel (off the fork) and checked? Did you tighten the maxle in the hub (again, outside the fork) and check for play? Do you know it is the axle wobbling inside the hub??

The spacing of the hub is 100mm. The fork drops could be a little wide (a few mm over 100) or the hub could be narrow. Screwing the maxle into the far drop should pull the fork legs against the hub but there are no guarantees. Try to figure out if it is lateral play (the fork legs aren't "pinching" the hub between the drops properly) or if it is the axle loose inside the hub.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tscheezy said:
Have you slid the maxle into the wheel (off the fork) and checked? Did you tighten the maxle in the hub (again, outside the fork) and check for play? Do you know it is the axle wobbling inside the hub??

The spacing of the hub is 100mm. The fork drops could be a little wide (a few mm over 100) or the hub could be narrow. Screwing the maxle into the far drop should pull the fork legs against the hub but there are no guarantees. Try to figure out if it is lateral play (the fork legs aren't "pinching" the hub between the drops properly) or if it is the axle loose inside the hub.
I have to flex the fork legs ever-so-slightly to get the hub into place, so the problem is not side-to-side play. I took the Maxle out and slid it into the hub and it feels pretty good. The fit is not tight... just enough play to slide the axle in without effort; I suppose this minute movement accentuated by the leverage at the top of the wheel is what I am noticing.

What concerns me the most is the fact there is still movement after the Maxle is tightened. Is the flair on the Maxle not supposed to grab onto the internals of the 20mm? BTW this hub does not have a freefloating spacer.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I don't have my Pike in front of me, but my maxle slides quite snugly into my Laserdisc DH, King, and Hope Bulb front hubs. All are slightly different designs but run snug with both Maxles (I have/had 2 Pikes). The expansion slits in the maxle do not extend along the axle far enough to grip the hub itself I think. They only grab the inside of the fork dropouts. While the maxle does not expand to grip the hub itself tightly, the fork dropouts pinching the hub should stop any other movement. It does sound like your 1) maxle is undersized in diameter or 2) hub bearing bores are a bit big and the drops are not holding the whole shmere snug enough to stop rattle.

Try borrowing some other 20mm wheel from a shop or friend for a minute to check perhaps.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I have a Hugi FR front hub and I recently put my old Pike on a new frame for my wife, while the bike was in the garage I noticed a small clunk if I were to drop the front end a few inches, kinda like a loose headset but its in the hub. I will try and insert my Hope Bulb and see if it does the samething. I never noticed this while riding with the Hugi and the Pike.

·
Stabbitha
140 Posts
tscheezy said:

20mm hubs are spaced 110mm. The Maxle cannot be tightened in just a hub, it's too long.

I agree it is likely the hub. Is the Maxle semi-difficult to close (like a standard QR)? If so, its definitely the hub.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Resurrected thread

Just thought I'd post this follow-up...

The problem I had with the hub wobbling is the Maxle itself. My Buddy bought a Pike (the only other one I've seen anywhere) and we did a bit of troubleshooting. His Maxle in my Team Pike with my Magura FR hub works like a dream.

So off my Maxle goes for warranty... :rolleyes:

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
decided to bring this thread back to life...

SStell - did RS replace your Maxle?

I just recently built up a lighter wheelset for my trail bike and decided to get a Hugi FR hub for the front. Low and behold I also have play now (i.e. slight side to side wobble).

If I take my old wheel (Hadley hub) and try that, it's solid as concrete.

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
Forgot to add:

I have a Pike Air mounted on my 5-spot right now. But since I also have a Pike Coil I did these quick tests:

1) Took the Maxle out of the Pike Coil and tried it on the Pike Air with the Hugi hub: Still loose
2) Took the Hugi Wheel and mounted it on my Pike Coil: Still Loose

Leads me to believe that it's the Hugi hub that's the culprit.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,211 Posts
SSteel said:
Just thought I'd post this follow-up...

The problem I had with the hub wobbling is the Maxle itself. My Buddy bought a Pike (the only other one I've seen anywhere) and we did a bit of troubleshooting. His Maxle in my Team Pike with my Magura FR hub works like a dream.

So off my Maxle goes for warranty... :rolleyes:
You have probably already tried this, but it is not obvious to some people, so I'll point it out.

I had the same problem until I realized that that I had to adjust the side of the Maxle opposite the lever. If that is not screwed down enough then there is no way you can tighten the Maxle enough to loose the slop.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had similar slop issues but is was my non direction reading user error that was the problem. Make sure you screw the shaft in, holding onto the lever. Once it is tight (eliminating the slop) adjust the side opposite the lever to obtain proper locked tightness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.