Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, My bike has a 6.5 inch shock on its rear, i want to use it for xc, but a little bit of freeride aswell, so i was wondering what is the maximum shock absorber eye to eye length i could put on this 6.5 inch rig?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
If the 6.5" number you are referring to is the eye to eye measurement then that 6.5" length is all that you're supposed to use on your bike. If you put another shock with a longer eye to eye measurement (and it likely won't fit) then you may not only damage the bike by putting the rear and front triangles in unplanned for positions, but you likely will cause a failure of some key part and hurt yourself. The only way to get more travel if your bike doesn't have various travel distance options for your shock is to buy a bike with more travel.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
travel isnt the main reason for this question, im sure 5 inches will do, more because bigger shoks seem to be more readily available and have more features. But speaking of travel the longer the stroke the more travel right?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a gary fisher joshua stock with arock shock coupe deluxe with about 1.25 stroke, that i want to upgrade to a fox vanilla rc 2000 model with a 1.75 inch stroke and the same 6.5 inch eye to eye length

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
Shouldnt be an issue then. Unless that extra stroke makes the rear swingarm hit the frame somewhere. Of course trying to find that Fox shock model is the hard part.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.