Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
The new run of maxflex5A drivers - that haven't even been assembled yet - have had minor changes made (3 components changed) to allow for higher output voltage capability. This was done to make the 7up builds insensitive to Vf variations.

There's no other hardware change between a maxflex5 and maxflex5A other than those 3 components. So, unless you had a marginal 7up build, there's no need to cry about having ordered/received maxflex5 drivers...

The nFlex, well, it was a case of consolidating inventory. Given that bFlex is essentially the same as the nFlex (nFlex had slightly higher input voltage capability due to the input capacitor rating and using a schottky diode for polarity protection versus a more efficient FET scheme with bFlex), it seemed crazy to stock 2 drivers.

Anyhow, just trying to explain a little about the behind the scenes stuff that I deal with.

cheers,
george.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
georges80 said:
The new run of maxflex5A drivers - that haven't even been assembled yet - have had minor changes made (3 components changed) to allow for higher output voltage capability. This was done to make the 7up builds insensitive to Vf variations.

There's no other hardware change between a maxflex5 and maxflex5A other than those 3 components. So, unless you had a marginal 7up build, there's no need to cry about having ordered/received maxflex5 drivers...

The nFlex, well, it was a case of consolidating inventory. Given that bFlex is essentially the same as the nFlex (nFlex had slightly higher input voltage capability due to the input capacitor rating and using a schottky diode for polarity protection versus a more efficient FET scheme with bFlex), it seemed crazy to stock 2 drivers.

Anyhow, just trying to explain a little about the behind the scenes stuff that I deal with.

cheers,
george.
Thanks George, I have a 7up build :madman:

But so far so good with the V5.0:thumbsup:

·
Currently muddy
108 Posts
troutie-mtb said:
he did pre programme them for me and did away with the 5 level multi mode and replaced it with a hi/ med/ lo mode which I like lots ..:thumbsup:
I wish that was a stock option, just get rid of the 5-mode. Does anyone really need 5 light levels? Probably the same people who need 11 gears on their road bikes. ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
emptyvoxel said:
I wish that was a stock option, just get rid of the 5-mode. Does anyone really need 5 light levels? Probably the same people who need 11 gears on their road bikes. ;)
3 Levels would be my preferred config as well.

Troutie, are you able to get this config loaded on his other drivers as well? I have just a few drivers on order with him including two of the new Maxflex, but I wonder if I could beg and plead for this firmware version? :)

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
symbology said:
3 Levels would be my preferred config as well.

Troutie, are you able to get this config loaded on his other drivers as well? I have just a few drivers on order with him including two of the new Maxflex, but I wonder if I could beg and plead for this firmware version? :)
I do hope George does`nt take umbrage that I mentioned my preprogrammed maxflexs
Your best bet would be to mail him and ask .

I did buy 100 off him and the preconfiguring has been a god send in they are plug and play in the Liberators .

but I can see doing the odd couple of different configs may be a pita for him .

·
Registered
43 Posts
troutie-mtb said:
I do hope George does`nt take umbrage that I mentioned my preprogrammed maxflexs
Your best bet would be to mail him and ask .

I did buy 100 off him and the preconfiguring has been a god send in they are plug and play in the Liberators .

but I can see doing the odd couple of different configs may be a pita for him .
I figured as much. Maybe we all can convince him to load this as the default configuration on the new Maxflex?

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I Never got to like the multimode as it seemed a faff going up and down 5 levels so always used duomode then some folks wanted a dimmer low and some wanted a brighter low .
so the hi med low seemed a good idea . and of the ones I have had a go with it is nice .

George will be reading the thread and :madman: when his inbox fills up with a load of different requests for preconfigured drivers .

·
Registered
455 Posts
Let's start a petition!
Seriously, 3 modes would be great. Everyone I have sold lights to want a lower low in addition to duo mode. We need three user configurable levels so we can have Show Off High, Boring Efficient Med and Crap the Battery's Flat I Need To Get Home Low.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I know some folk like all the options - but more options means a) more testing, b) more documentation and c) more emails from folk that can't figure things out.

The real issue is how the whole level thing works.

As of now we have 2 modes:

Duomode, a click cycles up/down.
Multimode, a click increases intensity, a press decreases intensity.

And Troutie's 3 level mode is basically Multimode with 3 levels rather than 5 (so click to brighten, press to dim).

In my mind the 3 level mode should stay as a Multimode scheme, since you'll always know if you are going brighter or dimmer by a click or a press. Duomode only has 2 levels so you know a click will just toggle to the other level, i.e. in both cases there is no random clicking to go dimmer or brighter - it will do what you want every time on the first click or press.

So, I'd also want to keep the 5 level - not everyone uses the UIB on a bike and 5 levels make sense in those other applications.

I will consider 3 levels, high would be fixed as always to the current table chosen. Low will always be low. The user would have an expanded menu option to select 3 level or 5 level operation for multimode. I will consider allowing the user to set the medium intensity level in the 3 level mode via the menu system.

So, vote away, make suggestions and I'll pick a winner :)

cheers,
george.

·
Registered
425 Posts
georges80 said:
I know some folk like all the options - but more options means a) more testing, b) more documentation and c) more emails from folk that can't figure things out.

The real issue is how the whole level thing works.

As of now we have 2 modes:

Duomode, a click cycles up/down.
Multimode, a click increases intensity, a press decreases intensity.

And Troutie's 3 level mode is basically Multimode with 3 levels rather than 5 (so click to brighten, press to dim).

In my mind the 3 level mode should stay as a Multimode scheme, since you'll always know if you are going brighter or dimmer by a click or a press. Duomode only has 2 levels so you know a click will just toggle to the other level, i.e. in both cases there is no random clicking to go dimmer or brighter - it will do what you want every time on the first click or press.

So, I'd also want to keep the 5 level - not everyone uses the UIB on a bike and 5 levels make sense in those other applications.

I will consider 3 levels, high would be fixed as always to the current table chosen. Low will always be low. The user would have an expanded menu option to select 3 level or 5 level operation for multimode. I will consider allowing the user to set the medium intensity level in the 3 level mode via the menu system.

So, vote away, make suggestions and I'll pick a winner :)

cheers,
george.
Duo mode and 5 level multi mode is fine for me. Why complicate things further?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.