Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More Big Hit questions. Keep in mind I don't have the frame yet. I did a search but couldn't fing anything.

So what's the fattest tire that will fit without rubbing? I have a new Arrow 24x3.0 that actually looks more like a 2.75 width.

Is the stock Specialized 2.6 tire anygood? I've seen those for cheap. It's slim pickins for 24" tires and most of them are pretty expensive.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
FISHLEG said:
More Big Hit questions. Keep in mind I don't have the frame yet. I did a search but couldn't fing anything.

So what's the fattest tire that will fit without rubbing? I have a new Arrow 24x3.0 that actually looks more like a 2.75 width.

Is the stock Specialized 2.6 tire anygood? I've seen those for cheap. It's slim pickins for 24" tires and most of them are pretty expensive.
Oh yeah a 3.0 will fit, of course only a kook or hack would need to run one. A good 2.5 (Maxxis 2.7) is all you need.

Used to be that the Spec tires were crap, but the newer crop seem OK. I wouldn't bother withouth knowing for sure, since there are better choice out there. Check out Kenda, they offer various treads in a 24.

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
Rockin the Maxxis High Roller 2.7's

And I like it lots...plenty of room....Jenson has them on sale currently for $14 a piece, I plan to buy a few more. But remember, tire choice has a lot to do with where you ride...I am in AZ, so what I like might not work for you.

I'd be happy to sell you my 2004 BH Expert Frame (medium), as long as it was for enough dough to pick up a Demo 8 or 9 frame....

Eric

·
Registered
302 Posts
A big hit expert frame isn't worth as much as a DEMO 9 frame. Demo 9 dh frame is $2700.

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
mtb care bear said:
A big hit expert frame isn't worth as much as a DEMO 9 frame. Demo 9 dh frame is $2700.
I understand that...it was a joke...

I guess you didn't get it...sorry. I'll put "J/K" after it next time to eliminate the confusion.

Thanks!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I saw that Jenson had the 24" High Roller and think I'll get one. I have a 2.7 Mobster I can run in the front.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Hey Riggse..

what kind of tires are good out there in AZ dust ?

I'm going to be moving to Phoenix in february..... :D

I ride a 2004 D9 Pro.

-Matt

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've got a Gazz 3.0 fit fine. Had to trim down my chain stay guard though... :)

·
Banned
1,004 Posts

BigHit-Maniac said:
Hey Riggse..

what kind of tires are good out there in AZ dust ?

I'm going to be moving to Phoenix in february..... :D

I ride a 2004 D9 Pro.

-Matt
Anything Maxxis seems to hold up pretty well, as long as they are not Sticky Rubber. You can use SR, but you will have to replace tires every month or so, especially is you ride South Mountain...mostly ROCK....Kendas are OK too, I also will run Nevegal 2.5's sometimes...

Stans is a must as well, with all of the thorns...

We'll have to hook up for a ride when you move here..Feb. is great for riding...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I picked up one of the $14 24x2.7 high Rollers from Jenson. The 24x3.0 Arrow I have is brand spankin new and measures more like 2.75 so I'll have that too as an option.

Who carries the Kenda Nevegal in 24" sizes?

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
I bought one of those 2.7 High Rollers from Jenson for the rear and was really dissapointed in its performance. Tried both the 50 and 60 durometer....both equally sucked. Then I picked up a 2.6 Kenda Kolossal stick-e and was very impressed by it, however after one day at Big Bear I found quite a few knobs looking like they were ready to tear off already!!!! Not sure how long this tire will hold up :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts