Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying the Pace RC31 XC fork (http://www.bikemagic.com/bike-reviews/pace-rc31-fork/3537.html). In the review, they stated that with a 185mm rotor, the fork flexed excessively and that 185mm is the fork max.

On my XC bike, I have 203mm rotors front and back. I do not brake hard, but I tend to ride my brakes in new terrain when going down a mountain. I used to have fade with Avid BB7 with 160mm, so I switched to Alligator Windcutter 203mm and have not had any problems with fade anymore.

I don't slam on the brakes every time I want to stop, and I actually brake heavier on the rear. Do you think the larger rotor used gingerly would be much of a problem?

Thanks in advance.
Herby

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
I dunno... can I use a section of copper pipe as a pry bar if I'm only prying light paving stones?

You're second guessing the manufacturer (hopefully the engineers) and at the same time saying you're imposing voluntary restraints upon yourself not to use the brake to its full potential.

As rotor size increases, the caliper is moved further away from the fork, becoming a longer lever arm. Forces are multiplied. Even under light braking, the caliper is acting to try to crimp the lowers right above the disc tab.

I'd say to use the right tools for the job. Ride in peace. Or be prepared to suffer the consequences of a broken fork -- during a high speed descent, most likely.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about using a 160mm on the front to not stress the fork, as the review said that 185mm rotors were pushing it, and leave the 203mm on the rear for slowing (overheating) descents where I ride the brake to govern the speed?

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
That's a braking technique I don't see much value in, but what you're proposing would work. How about going with the 185 in front? Even though the review said it flexed the fork, at least you're in the manufacturer's good graces. And you're saying you don't plan maximum front braking anyhow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.