Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to replace the Panaracer Fire 2.1 XC Pro's on the Hammer Head. I'm thinking Kenda Nevegal but I see they come in 2.1, 2.35, and 2.5. I assume only the 2.1 will fit in the rear, right? I'm looking for a higher volume tire to use for an upcoming trip with lots of rocky technical downhill. Planning on putting the same tire on the front. Any other recommendations? Thanks.

·
Chilling out
6,028 Posts
You should call HH Monday and ask - I do know that a number of the local HH-riding crew are using Kenda's of various types but I can not recall if the Nevegal 2.35 is working or not.

You may want to try the Blue Groove ... same rubber compound but reportedly rolls quicker. Only place I can think of that it may not have quite the same grip as the Nevegal would be water-slick roots - and I've had good luck with the BG under those conditions so far ( limited testing though to be sure ).

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Econoline said:
Time to replace the Panaracer Fire 2.1 XC Pro's on the Hammer Head. I'm thinking Kenda Nevegal but I see they come in 2.1, 2.35, and 2.5. I assume only the 2.1 will fit in the rear, right? I'm looking for a higher volume tire to use for an upcoming trip with lots of rocky technical downhill. Planning on putting the same tire on the front. Any other recommendations? Thanks.
The Kenda 2.35 is freakin' HUGE. Looks like a 2.5. It's not going to fit. It weighs about 800g anyway so it's a monster. You can go up to a narrow 2.3 like a Continental Vertal Pro. I also like the Schwalbe Big Jim 2.25 and the Specialized Enduro Pro 2.2 (runs big). It won't be hard to find a better tire. I'm currently rolling on the Blue Groove 2.1 front and the Nevegal 2.1 rear. Unlike their bigger brothers, they look pretty much like a 2.1. I wish they were a little bigger (e.g. like a real 2.25-2.3) but still sub-700g. The Stick-E rubber is just that. I'm not sure how they are going to wear but they work good now.

Also check below, there was a big thread on tires for the Switchblade. They use the same chainstays.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
I just got the answer to this from Titus on Friday

I was looking at some new sneakers for my hh100x and I sent a note to Titus on Friday. They answered pretty quickly and said 2.25-2.35 depending on the tire.

John

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
the Kendas run big
the Nevagul 2.1 is about the same size as say a Vertical Pro 2.3

the BG rolls a bit faster and the NV is a bit better in really loose conditions
I run the BG 2.1s front and rear 90% of the time in central Texas which is pretty rocky
used the same setup in Durango, Fruita and Moab with zero desires for "more" traction or a bigger tire

on a related note: you can run a quasi chainstay and run a bit wider tires, I have a used one I am selling as I don't need it anymore, 275.00, retails for about 400.00. Very good shape, email if interested

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
I pretty much agree with the above comments but find the Nev to roll better than the BG beacause of the ramped knobs on the Nev.

Running Nev 2.1 rear/BG 2.35 front. Amazing combo for the CO front range which has lots of rocks & loose soil/sand. The Nev 2.1 is bigger than any other 2.1 I've come across and is at least the same size as my Vert 2.3 and a Schwalbe Big Jim 2.25.

The Stick-E rubber is simply amazing and works as advertised but wears very quicky in rocky terrain (as expected).

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
I pretty much agree with the above comments but find the Nev to roll better than the BG beacause of the ramped knobs on the Nev.

Running Nev 2.1 rear/BG 2.35 front. Amazing combo for the CO front range which has lots of rocks & loose soil/sand. The Nev 2.1 is bigger than any other 2.1 I've come across and is at least the same size as my Vert 2.3 and a Schwalbe Big Jim 2.25.

The Stick-E rubber is simply amazing and works as advertised but wears very quicky in rocky terrain (as expected).
hmm
everyone I have spoken with here who have ran both feel the same way (given the same tire size) that the BGs roll a tad faster and the NVs a tad more traction in very loose conditions

that combo is pretty popular, the NV 2.1 rear and BG 2.35 front

·
Banned
656 Posts
i really like my hutchinson spiders 2.1 (as wide or wider than conto 2.3s) i wouldnt go any wider

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Tioga DH 2.3s fit

Got a good deal on some Tioga DH 2.3s. Definitely heavy tires! I'll try 'em out for a bit, see how they work out. My buddy just put them on his bike and is raving so I had to try 'em.

They barely fit though. I had to straighten my rear rim (haven't worried about that in a while with the disc brakes). There might be an eighth of an inch of clearance total.

John

·
Registered
257 Posts
Jisch said:
Got a good deal on some Tioga DH 2.3s. Definitely heavy tires! I'll try 'em out for a bit, see how they work out. My buddy just put them on his bike and is raving so I had to try 'em.

They barely fit though. I had to straighten my rear rim (haven't worried about that in a while with the disc brakes). There might be an eighth of an inch of clearance total.

John
I ran Tiogas 2.3s for a ride or two. Any flex at all in the wheell and you get tire rub. Awesome riding tires, but the tire rub was annoying.

·
Registered
169 Posts
BG's

I'd recommend not running BG's for a rear tire. I've had my HH for 4 wknds now, have over 40 hrs. on the bike, and my BG is done for. The tread is torn apart with knobs breaking off, and the singletrack I ride is gentle Oregon flowing trail. There is a bit of rock and lava but I'd say less than 10% of my riding... but 40 hrs... 4 weeks? C'mon. Now I've been told to never run the BG as a rear? This weekend I took it off and put on a Klein DeathGrip 2.1 which is working wonderful.

·
Az HS Cycling League
325 Posts
What about the Cortez?

I bought a set of Kenda Cortez at the NORBA race at Durango $15 each. Will they fit my Racer X. They are listed at 2.4. If not they can go on my Quasi Moto. Any experiences?

·
Bodhisattva
10,833 Posts
The Stick-E rubber does wear quickly but it sounds like you may just have gotten a bad tire. I've run both BG & Nev in the rear through very rocky CO terrain and I've gotten 4-6 good weeks out of them.

I prefer the Nev for looser, sandy terrain and the BG for the more hardpacked stuff like I find up in the big hills.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
if you have a BG falling apart that quick in your conditions I would recommend contacting Kenda
I ride almost exclusively very rocky terrain and they are holding up fairly well
around here I have seen Panaracers, WTB and Contis have ripped off side knobs within a few rides.. I have only seen one or two Kendas that I felt were not holding up

as for the Cortez
it will fit the rear but you will probably get buzzing under hard cornering and steep climbing from wheel flex

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Is buzzing a problem?

hammerheadbikes said:
you will probably get buzzing under hard cornering and steep climbing from wheel flex

I put the 2.3 Tioga DHs on. The back is very tight, it buzzes 2 or 3 times per ride. The chainstays look like they are picking up some rubber, but nothing other than that. If I can live with the buzzing, since its happening so rarely - with the technical trails around here, hard cornering at speed is not a usual occurance. I don't notice it on steep climbing.

Is this a problem? Should I worry about it if it doesn't bother me?

John

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the IRC Backcountry 2.25? My wife got me a pair cheap (like $15 each) for Christmas and my 2.3 Conti Vert Pros are finally starting to show their age. Should I put 'em on or just save 'em for Moab?

I've liked the Conti's btw. Not a lot bigger that most 2.1s but seem to hook up well, wear well, and float over loose stuff and sand better than the Fire XC 2.1.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
KRob said:
I've liked the Conti's btw. Not a lot bigger that most 2.1s but seem to hook up well, wear well, and float over loose stuff and sand better than the Fire XC 2.1.

I wish I read this thread last week :-(

I'm trying to find a tire to replace my "too large" Tioga. The Tioga's are heavy and they have no business on my HH100x, but I can't take them off. I looked through Shiggy's tire reference and thought the Conti would be similar. Jeez its no even close to a 2.3. The Conti rode fine from a traction perspective, but I surely get more "cush" and grip out of the Tioga. I'm stuck. As I said in the other post, I think the Tioga's thicker sidewalls and high volume give me what I want (obviously not speed :D ).

John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts