Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 stumpy sworks with an AFR brain shock on it. I've noticed on the bottom of the shock shaft there is a "max" mark about 1/4" or so up from the bottom of the shaft.

Now obviously they mean for you to not go past this mark but my friends 08 does not have this writing on it?

Is this just a thing they put on their to cover their ass? Can I setup my sag so I use more travel and go past this mark? RIght now I'm gettin almost too it doing a 3' foot drop.

TIA

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No it doesn't. And I'm trying to tailor the sag and compression to my riding and would like to know if I can use up the whole shock stroke or not. I like to get it close to bottoming out after hitting a typical bigger hit thats on my normal loops etc. Right now its getting "close" to the max mark but I'm wondering if thats just a cautionary thing and if I can really use a little less air pressure and use up more shock stroke and get more travel?

Don't wanna do anything dumb though so thats why I'm asking here first. Like i mentioned my friends 08 does not have this mark.

·
trying to ride
170 Posts
Hello,
I am by no means an expert on these frames (just bought my first Stumpy FSR Pro today!)

With that said, I let all the air out of my shock and compressed the rear suspension. The shock mechanically bottoms out at the "max" mark. I'd suggest perhaps a slightly softer setup but just be aware that is the max the shock will compress.

Hope this helped!
Adam

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just did the same thing and could only get the shock to go about 5/16" to the "Max" mark so it seems thats actually past full stroke unless somehting else is not right. I won't put too much thought into it but I'd think with absolutely no air pressure it would go down to the max mark. I'm still missing like 10mm? Maybe thats normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.