Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride aggressive XC on a 5' travel full susser but no big jumps(more like bunny hops!), have recently had a rear wheel built up with a Mavic 819 disc rim.
I want to build up a new front wheel now, using my existing DT Onyx hub, but am not sure whether the XM 823 disc rim is a better choice as the wider rim may be more suited to running wider front tires (I run Kenda Nevegal 2.1's but plan to change to Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 or 2.4's, maybe Panaracer Rampage.)
There is a significant weight difference: 465g for 819 vs. 657g for 823 (Mavic website).....this may not include the screw in eyelets....possibly add another 50g or so for those.
Is there really a major advantage to running tires on a wider internal diameter rim?
The extra weight may not be worth it as it will definitely slow acceleration I think.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
the footprint for a given tire will be bigger but the 819s can run bigger tires no problem as well. The 823s may be WAY overkill, depending on your riding.

Try a Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 or Maxxis Advantage 2.4 and you will get a very large tire with the 819. Wider internal width is much more important with 2-ply tires since the sidewalls on many won't move much from vertical thus, a narrow rim will greatly restrict the casing width on that rim but the above tires for example will impress you compared to the girly 2.1s you are running now I think.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Wider is nice, but as Fo said the 823 is probably serious overkill for the riding you described. The 819 can easily handle the tires and riding style you mentioned, if you do want wider then go for something like the DT 5.1.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Registered
205 Posts
i've run both sets of rims. i use the 823s for dh and fr, the 819s for xc / am. and, typically, your front wheel takes less abuse than the rear. you should be good with the 819s -- i beat on mine and they held up fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.