Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Turner Homer
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, as some of you may know not too long , ago I brought a set of king wheels, and I like them very much. But here is my problem, today I picked up the front wheel on the bike, and spun it, and I could hear a weird clicking sound. So I took the wheel off the bike, and then I took the tire off the rim, then I took off the rim tape. I noticed that the area where the rim is welded togeather, there is a metal square thing in the middle of the two walls on the rim, and that is what is causing the clicking noise. So do you guys think my rim is ok, and do you think I should call jenson who I built the wheels, and tell them what I told you. Thanks for your help.
Dave

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
dtrek4500 said:
Hi, as some of you may know not too long , ago I brought a set of king wheels, and I like them very much. But here is my problem, today I picked up the front wheel on the bike, and spun it, and I could hear a weird clicking sound. So I took the wheel off the bike, and then I took the tire off the rim, then I took off the rim tape. I noticed that the area where the rim is welded togeather, there is a metal square thing in the middle of the two walls on the rim, and that is what is causing the clicking noise. So do you guys think my rim is ok, and do you think I should call jenson who I built the wheels, and tell them what I told you. Thanks for your help.
Dave
It's a well know "feature" with some mavic rims. You can put a drop of glue in there. I know some that carefully indent the rim (in a safe place) to stop it from moving.

It's not just your rim. I have the same issue with my X317 rims (same rim). Take it to your lbs and they will be able to stop the slug from moving around....or better yet...yes..call the wheel builder and get his advice. It's not a functional issue....it's just annoying. I forget exactly what the cause is, but the slug of metal is punched out during manufacture and sometimes (or is it always?) ends up in the rim. It is annoying.

Let us know what the wheelbuilder recommends.

·
Can Tree Member
847 Posts
Blue Shorts said:
I forget exactly what the cause is, but the slug of metal is punched out during manufacture and sometimes (or is it always?) ends up in the rim.
I believe that the little chunk of metal is a press-fit insert that is used to hold the rim together at the seam prior to welding. After welding it serves no structural purpose. Most of the time it stays put but it can break free and cause the rattling you are hearing. I have not personally experienced this (with a bunch of different Mavic rims on both road and MTB bikes) but I have heard that a dab of glue (epoxy or crazy glue?) in the right place can set things right again. I had not heard of a strategically placed dimple on the inside of the rim, but that sounds like it could also work.

·
Turner Homer
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply's. I thought that it was someting along those lines, because you could see it in thespoke nipple holes on top of the rim sometimes, and it is a grayish colored square metal thing. So I will call jenson today after I get home from school and I will tell you guys whats up, so people with the same problem could use the tip jenson gives me. It also only does it at 40psi and higher.
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
485 Posts
dtrek4500 said:
Thanks for your reply's. I thought that it was someting along those lines, because you could see it in thespoke nipple holes on top of the rim sometimes, and it is a grayish colored square metal thing. So I will call jenson today after I get home from school and I will tell you guys whats up, so people with the same problem could use the tip jenson gives me. It also only does it at 40psi and higher.
Thanks
Dave
I had the same problem on a pair of Mavic 217s from the mid 90's. Nice to see they can fix their problems. ;-) When it first occurred, it puzzled me too, because it only occurred when I had a tire/tube inflated on the rim. I'd take off the tire to triy and find the problem, and the noise would go away. Eventually, I managed to reproduce the noise without a tire mounted by banging the rim around very hard. I just solved the rattle by squirting some Shoe Goo into the spot, cementing the loose piece in place.

·
Turner Homer
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's weird too because I have two sets of xt wheelsets with x223 rims and I never herd a peep from them. I guess it is just one of those hit or miss things. I will keep you all posted.

·
Turner Homer
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just called jenson, and they said that I should try to work it around the rim to the valve stem hole and try to get it out, but I had to mention the glueing part to him and he said that should also work if you can't get it out. I think that I am first going to try to fish it out, and if I can't I will just glue it.
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.