Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to build a new wheelset for use in places where there are a lot of sharp rocks and thorns!!

I want to make use of HighRoller DH DoublePly tyres for maximum sidewall protection against the sharp rocks.
Because of the certainty that the tyres will be penetrated by thorns, I plan on using Stan's sealant. I'd rather skip innertubes and go to a tubeless setup.

The idea is using a Mavic EX823 (UST rim) in combination with the earlier mentioned (Non-UST) Highroller DH (2.35, steel bead, double ply ).
Additionally some Stan's sealant will probably stop the porous leaking of the tyre and gaps between tyre and rim.

Has anyone tried this combination of a Mavic UST rim in combination with a Non-UST Maxxias HighRoller? Will this be a good and user friendly combination?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i've been running that exact tire (and other standard maxxis two ply DH tires) on 819 rims tubeless for a long long time with zero issues. standard maxxis DH tires are pretty well known to run fine tubeless on ust rims with sealant.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No rimstrip or whatsoever needed?

[QUOTE='size]i've been running that exact tire (and other standard maxxis two ply DH tires) on 819 rims tubeless for a long long time with zero issues. standard maxxis DH tires are pretty well known to run fine tubeless on ust rims with sealant.[/QUOTE]

And you didn't need any rimstrip or whatsoever to keep it sealed? That would be great in terms of user-friendlyness.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
lexxmeister said:
And you didn't need any rimstrip or whatsoever to keep it sealed? That would be great in terms of user-friendlyness.:thumbsup:
no rimstrips needed. only stans to help seal it all up.
fyi - i weigh ~185 lbs geared up and run 20-23 psi fr / 25-28 psi rr on my 6.6" 'mini dh' bike in the rocky AZ desert.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
lexxmeister said:
What do you reckon would be the best rim for the 2.35 or maybe the 2.5 Highroller?
My feeling is that the 823 is the safest option (not in terms of weight though):D
it's pretty much up to your application. for me, if i was doing it again i'd go 823. i went 819 thinking the bike was going to stay as a trail bike and run 2.35 tires max. as it's morphed into a mini-dh/shuttle bike i'd rather have the 823's with the 2.5" maxxis DH tires. granted i've had no issues with the 819 rims themselves i'd just like a bit wider profile rim and tire for my current use.

i guess if you're pedaling a lot and not doing any extreme DH riding i'd stick with 819's and 2.35's.
if you're not pedaling much, hitting gnarlier DH stuff and moving up to 2.5's or 2.7's i'd go 823's.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I would advise using a 20" split tube for insurance. Standard tires are not made to get a seal with ANY rim, and this will help insure that you do not burp at low pressures.

I used Crossmax UST rims with regular tires many times and always used a Stan's strip, or ghetto strip, and NEVER had a tire burp using this setup.

Don't go over 40psi to seat, you are not seating a UST bead.:nono:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For use in Alps

[QUOTE='size]it's pretty much up to your application......
i guess if you're pedaling a lot and not doing any extreme DH riding i'd stick with 819's and 2.35's.
if you're not pedaling much, hitting gnarlier DH stuff and moving up to 2.5's or 2.7's i'd go 823's.[/QUOTE]

At the moment the plan is to use it as an "all-day - pedaling up combined with both fast & technical downhill" wheelset in my 5.5" travel trailbike (DW spot).
The main reason why I'm considering the 823's is because of the width and not neccesarily the strength of the rim. It seems to me that the 23mm wide rim would make the best mate for the HighRollers 2.35 or 2.5

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
lexxmeister said:
At the moment the plan is to use it as an "all-day - pedaling up combined with both fast & technical downhill" wheelset in my 5.5" travel trailbike (DW spot).
The main reason why I'm considering the 823's is because of the width and not neccesarily the strength of the rim. It seems to me that the 23mm wide rim would make the best mate for the HighRollers 2.35 or 2.5
for a dw spot i'd personally go 819's and stick with 2.35's, but that's just me. i also run 819's on my 5x4 trail bike and would not want to haul the extra weight up hills, but i HATE climbing anyway. ;)

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
twowheelsdown2002 said:
I would advise using a 20" split tube for insurance. Standard tires are not made to get a seal with ANY rim, and this will help insure that you do not burp at low pressures.

I used Crossmax UST rims with regular tires many times and always used a Stan's strip, or ghetto strip, and NEVER had a tire burp using this setup.

Don't go over 40psi to seat, you are not seating a UST bead.:nono:
i'm not discounting what you're saying, but i've never burped with my setup either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tyre pressure

[QUOTE='size]for a dw spot i'd personally go 819's and stick with 2.35's, but that's just me. i also run 819's on my 5x4 trail bike and would not want to haul the extra weight up hills, but i HATE climbing anyway. ;)[/QUOTE]

So 819's seems the way to go.

What was the lowest tyre pressure that you could safely use in this configuration (without problems)?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
lexxmeister said:
So 819's seems the way to go.

What was the lowest tyre pressure that you could safely use in this configuration (without problems)?
like i mentioned i've run 20 psi fr and 25 psi rear with a standard wire bead 2.5 DH minion fr and a standard wire bead 2.35 DH high roller on the rr without any issues on 819's tubeless with stans.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks 'size

[QUOTE='size]like i mentioned i've run 20 psi fr and 25 psi rear with a standard wire bead 2.5 DH minion fr and a standard wire bead 2.35 DH high roller on the rr without any issues on 819's tubeless with stans.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I read it earlier and forgot it.:blush:

Thanks for the feedback:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
This first hand advise makes the decision much easier.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
[QUOTE='size]i'm not discounting what you're saying, but i've never burped with my setup either.[/QUOTE]It does totally depend on the tire/rim combination. It can be a real crap shoot relying on a standard tire to seal perfectly to a rim, standard or UST. Neither were ever intended to go together to make an airtight seal.

Even a manufacturing discrepancy, or bent area in a wire bead tire could create a spot that may not seal perfectly, a split tube really helps to take away the gamble aspect of the setup. It puts a layer of rubber there to make sure you get a seal no matter what tire you put on there. Otherwise it is a real matter of getting lucky that the tire/rim combo meshes together to make a good seal.

Also, someone may think that their regular tire sealed ok to their UST rim in the shop, and then they hit a bump on the trail just right and burp all the air out. To me, a $3 tube is cheap insurance. Well worth the price if you think about the consequences of a total burp out.

Nothing is set in stone. It may work without the tube. If it does, great.:) If not.:yikes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.