Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I swapped my old Cassette onto a new set of Mavic Crosstrail UST wheels the cassette seems too narrow and will not tighten up correctly.

IT looks like the last section of cassette (11 tooth) is not thick enough so the tightening nut bottoms out but the cassette is still loose on the hub.

The cassette is an old 9 speed and the part number si worn off but it is a standard 32-11 cassette.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Had a similar problem

I swapped my mavic crosstrail freehub with my mavic crossmax freehub. The crossmax freehub bushing was worn. The crosstrail freehub fit fine, but the cassette also would not tighten up. I found a very thin spacer that came from an old freehub and placed it on the mavic freehub before placing on the cassette, it worked fine. You could probably get one from a bike shop parts bin

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Polymer said:
After I swapped my old Cassette onto a new set of Mavic Crosstrail UST wheels the cassette seems too narrow and will not tighten up correctly.

IT looks like the last section of cassette (11 tooth) is not thick enough so the tightening nut bottoms out but the cassette is still loose on the hub.

The cassette is an old 9 speed and the part number si worn off but it is a standard 32-11 cassette.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!!
The solution is simple, you need a 2mm spacer behind the cassette.

Now here is the stupid reason why...Mavic uses their road FH body on the Crosstrail instead of their mountain FH body (which comes on the Crossmax wheels). The road FH body is wider to accommodate the Campy spaced Mavic M10 road cassette which fits on the Shimano FH Body spline pattern. Since Campagnolo 8/9/10 speed spacing is wider than Shimano 8/9/10 speed spacing...they have to make the overall width of the FH Body wider. So any Shimano cassette used on their road wheels (and the Crosstrail mountain wheels) must use a spacer.

There you go :thumbsup:

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Polymer said:
Man thanks a million for the great info. That is the weirdest deal!

Is the 2mm spacer a standard item??

i never heard of one..
Its actually included with the wheels new...you should be able to either go by a LBS and get one (we always carried them when I worked in shops) or Wheels Mfg also makes a 2mm spacer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.